time and time wait for no man, plus a bit of war and peace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• time and time wait for no man, plus a bit of war and peace

Hi guy I haven't posted for a while as a couple of members of my camera club use thi's site and it wouldn't have been fair for judging the pics at club as the judging is done blind. I have been busy the last couple of months, the first months comp was open so I used some of my sand racing pics one of which placed second in that class which was the A4 class. In the A4 class you can do anything to the photo that you want, ie you can use as much photoshop as you want.

The second comp was wood but some of us were told that it must be natural wood and not something that has been man made. Well on the night not everyone knew that so it was a bit of a mix up with loads of people bringing photos of man made items. Some one even turn up with a photo of a plank of wood. So you will not be seeing my tree stumps or bits of tree and logs photos.

Last nights was a better one for me as it was clocks/watches and time. Now I had the first picture in my mind for a long time I just wanted to play with words and come up with something different.I called it time and tide wait for no man which you can see below. the second photo was to be sands of time which I will also post below but this one did not work. The real problem as you can see with it was the reflection in the glass. I tired loads of things to try and sort it out but it just did not work. So with only a few days to go I had to come up with something new. I just like the look of my bedside clock and thinking about it when you look at your bedside clock all you see is the numbers not the whole clock as such. This is what I went with in the 6x4 class which must just be a 6x4 photo with no photoshop work at all not even any cropping. Well you could have knocked me over when it placed first.

Now for those of you that have know me on this site for a while will know is that I do not critique very often, well last night I had to have my turn and do the critique on over 30 odd photos. I did say to all the members that it would be a case of me saying what I like ,or dislike with hopefully a good reason why. I also said that some of them may not like that as most people will always try to say something nice even if is not, so as not to upset anyone but I would just say what I thought. I will say it was a bit hard at first but once i got into the swing of things it was fun especially as I said what I thought and then opened it up to the other members to have their say and if I was right or wrong.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/petebphotos/

Re: time and time wait for no man, plus a bit of war and peace

Congratulations on attaining a first peter. A simple shot but with a lot of visual impact.
    I admire your thinking in setting up the shot of the clock partly buried in the sand.
    Hopefully someone may be able to offer some suggestions as to avoiding the reflections in the hour glasses. I certainly hope so because I would also find it useful.
    -------------------------

Comment

Re: time and time wait for no man, plus a bit of war and peace

Originally posted by peter View Post

The real problem as you can see with it was the reflection in the glass. I tired loads of things to try and sort it out but it just did not work.

Nice concepts and nice pictures.

I've sometimes managed to at least reduce reflections by using black card or black reflectors. The 5-in-1 7dayshop reflector kits include a black one and also a diffuser disc. The diffuser disc + black reflector, stragetically placed, might do the trick. Dunno for sure but it could be worth a try anyway.

Pol

Comment

Working...
      X