Fireworks night 'landscape'?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fireworks night 'landscape'?

Lara and I ventured up the opposite side of the valley from where our house is above Apsley, Hemel Hempstead to view the fireworks tonight (UK's traditional Guy Fawkes fireworks and bonfires celebration every 5th November).

This was my best effort:

This is ten frames combined as layers in a Photoshop stack using the Lighten function (similar to making star trails) and then processed further in Lightroom. The shots were taken over a ten minute period, each one about 16 seconds or so.

These are fireworks mostly fired from people's gardens and not from professional displays.

Olympus OM-D E-M1, ISO 200, m.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8 ED @f/8, using the E-M1's Live Time function (basically a Bulb timer mode for long exposures that lets you view the image as it forms over time so you can stop the exposure when you see that it's just right).

I added the vignette in Lightroom by the way - the lens is far too good to do that by itself!

Ian
    Founder/editor
    Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
    Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
    Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Re: Fireworks night 'landscape'?

Interesting technique, interesting result too.

We noted there were very few fireworks around here last night. Only the very occasional bang in the distance.

Perhaps a lot of people have finally decided they no longer have money to burn.

Pol

Comment

That's worked really well, Ian.

It comes to something when a lens is so good that you have to add abberations during processing......
      John Perriment

A photograph is more than a record of what you see - it's a window to your soul

Comment

Really interesting post Ian, I have the em1 but have never used the live time thing. Great to see what it can do. That lens is a cracker as well. Did you have to process out any noise?

thanks

Josh
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/40196275@N08/

Comment

Originally posted by Josh Bear View Post
          Really interesting post Ian, I have the em1 but have never used the live time thing. Great to see what it can do. That lens is a cracker as well. Did you have to process out any noise?

thanks

Josh
          The E-M1 sensor is susceptible to hot pixels at exposures a little more than 40-50 seconds, which is a lower threshold than the E-M5, but I didn't have any problems with the component shots here. I was using the noise reduction mode which does a dark frame subtraction of the same exposure time.

Ian
          Founder/editor
          Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
          Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
          Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
          Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Comment

Chinese style sound required

https://www.youtube.com/embed/_LpMB1...%3e&autoplay=1

Regards. Barr1e

Comment