DSLR vs. iPhone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: DSLR vs. iPhone

My wife and I use Snapseed extensively. I put together a short tutorial on it.

https://youtu.be/ybuZhdYLvQg
    If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much room.
    GoldenYearsGeek.com

Comment

Very handy and informative, Pat. Thanks.

Comment

I decided to try an experiment today. The top image was taken with my iPhone X and the lower one with my Canon SL2 (I believe it's called the EOS 200D in Europe). What are your thoughts?

GoldenYearsGeek.com

Comment

Hi Pat.

Very difficult to guess which is which, as they are very similar in picture quality.

I am guessing that if both originals were enlarged, we would probably see the difference, and that the Canon photo would be better.

Both photos look in focus and good colour.

Comment

I tried to upload them to the gallery but, at 6 mb+, the iphone photo was too large so I lowered the resolution. Here are the full sized shots, starting with the Canon 200D

GoldenYearsGeek.com

Comment

Still very similar in quality.
              But it does look like the Canon image comes out slightly on top.
              Well that's how it looks on my screen !

Comment

An interesting comparison - I've tried something similar on a recent holiday to France. I haven't edited the camera shot yet, so will post when I have. This time I didn't take a DSLR with me, all photos this holiday were on either the Google Pixel 3a or my Canon EOS-R. Only took 2 lenses with me, too - a 50mm f1.4 and the mk 1 24-70 f2.8. Didn't miss the distance too much - apart from when I was sitting on a second floor windowsill and trying to capture fast moving swallows in their nests one floor above my head!
                http://carolannphotos.com

Comment

I found this an interesting comparison - taken at Ch‚lons-en-Champagne at dusk on our recent roadtrip to/from Strasbourg to visit family.

The first image is taken on my Google Pixel 3a phone and edited in Snapseed. I've managed to correct the converging verticals reasonably well

2019-08-10_211046-01 by Carol, on Flickr

The second image is taken with my Canon EOS-R with a 24-70 f2.8 - without losing the top of the building, I'm unable to correct the verticals much. It's also a slightly wider view - I wanted to include the statue of Josef Layon on both images.

2019-08-10_web-8736 by Carol, on Flickr
                  http://carolannphotos.com

Comment

Very impressed with the Google Pixel 3a phone and edited in Snapseed.
                    Almost HDR Snapseed Perspective tool has worked well on the converging walls.

Comment

At first glance, I think that your 2 pictures are about with post processing and without post processing. Obviously, your 2nd picture looks like edited picture. But first picture seems to me very decent quality. I think, we can use either camera lens or smartphone according to their perspective. While it’s true that it is often desirable to deliver the maximum amount of visual information to your audience, this is not always the case. There are times when a crushed and burnt out shadow or a super-bright highlight are just what you need to bring a photograph home.

Comment

Originally posted by selenajain View Post
                        At first glance, I think that your 2 pictures are about with post processing and without post processing. Obviously, your 2nd picture looks like edited picture. But first picture seems to me very decent quality. I think, we can use either camera lens or smartphone according to their perspective. While it’s true that it is often desirable to deliver the maximum amount of visual information to your audience, this is not always the case. There are times when a crushed and burnt out shadow or a super-bright highlight are just what you need to bring a photograph home.
                        Selenajain. Were you referring to the two photos of Patmore, or the two photos of, Caz ?

Comment

Working...
                        X