Photoshop CS4 hardware acceleration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photoshop CS4 hardware acceleration

How are PS CS4 users getting on with the hardware (GPU) acceleration feature that was introduced with this version of PS?

I have PS CS4 installed on my HP laptop/tablet, which has an nVidia GeForce Go 6150 GPU, and on my desktop, which has an ATI x1550 PCI Express graphics card.

PS CS4 recognises the GeForce Go 6150 GPU, but the performance is rubbish - with freehand drawing the plot lags behind the pen by at least half a second. Switch Open GL off and everything is nice and responsive again - if not benefitting from the GPU's anti-aliasing.

Julia's slower Acer laptop (single core Turion) has a GeForce Go 6100 GPU and that's flying under Windows 7, even in PS CS3 with Open GL switched on, so there must be a driver issue with my laptop.

Then again, my Athlon 5600+ desktop with ATI x1550 PCI Express video card (running XP) is not running well under GPU mode in PS CS4 either, and I have just installed the latest ATI driver set - as recommended by Adobe.

Anybody else have anything to say about PS hardware acceleration?

Ian
    Last edited by Ian; 03-11-09, 09:25 PM.
    Founder/editor
    Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
    Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
    Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Re: Photoshop CS4 hardware acceleration

Originally posted by Ian View Post
    How are PS CS4 users getting on with the hardware (GPU) acceleration feature that was introduced with this version of PS?

I have PS CS4 installed on my HP laptop/tablet, which has an nVidia GeForce Go 6150 GPU, and on my desktop, which has an ATI x1550 PCI Express graphics card.

PS CS4 recognises the GeForce Go 6150 GPU, but the performance is rubbish - with freehand drawing the plot lags behind the pen by at least half a second. Switch Open GL off and everything is nice and responsive again - if not benefitting from the GPU's anti-aliasing.

Julia's slower Acer laptop (single core Turion) has a GeForce Go 6100 GPU and that's flying under Windows 7, even in PS CS3 with Open GL switched on, so there must be a driver issue with my laptop.

Then again, my Athlon 5600+ desktop with ATI x1550 PCI Express video card (running XP) is not running well under GPU mode in PS CS4 either, and I have just installed the latest ATI driver set - as recommended by Adobe.

Anybody else have anything to say about PS hardware acceleration?

Ian
    I find it best switched off on both Laptop and PC.

Patrick

Comment

Working...
    X