Photoshop & Camera Raw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photoshop & Camera Raw

i recently bought a pair of Canon 5d MkII's. previously i was using a pair of 5D's and a Hasselblad H2D. i shot raw. PS3 will not open a MkII file. i updated camera raw. ah, Adobe got wise. the latest version of camera raw will only work with the latest version of photoshop (PS4). i don't know about you guys but i'm getting tired of paying $200 a year for upgrades. Lightroom does MkII raw conversions. let see how long free updates to it for new cameras remain available. as for Hasselblad Phocus, have mercy, got ram?

Re: Photoshop & Camera Raw

Originally posted by kennykodak View Post
    i recently bought a pair of Canon 5d MkII's. previously i was using a pair of 5D's and a Hasselblad H2D. i shot raw. PS3 will not open a MkII file. i updated camera raw. ah, Adobe got wise. the latest version of camera raw will only work with the latest version of photoshop (PS4). i don't know about you guys but i'm getting tired of paying $200 a year for upgrades. Lightroom does MkII raw conversions. let see how long free updates to it for new cameras remain available. as for Hasselblad Phocus, have mercy, got ram?
    There is an easy - if not perfectly convenient work around - download the latest version of the Adobe DNG converter and you can then convert your 5D Mark II files to Adobe DNG RAW format. These will then be compatible with Adobe Camera RAW on PS CS3.

You can download either the Mac or Windows versions from:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/new.jsp

Ian
    Founder/editor
    Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
    Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
    Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
    sigpic

Comment

thanks, that's cool.

Comment

Its even worse this side of the pond Kenny, whilst the upgrade to CS4 is $199 there, here its 199, with the current exchange rate it makes it nearly 40% more expensive for us.

I have just replaced my DSLR with a little G11 and CS3 doesn't support it in camera raw so now have to use the DNG converter tool, then process in photoshop.

Comment

Originally posted by magicaxeman View Post
          Its even worse this side of the pond Kenny, whilst the upgrade to CS4 is $199 there, here its 199, with the current exchange rate it makes it nearly 40% more expensive for us.

I have just replaced my DSLR with a little G11 and CS3 doesn't support it in camera raw so now have to use the DNG converter tool, then process in photoshop.
          Have you considered using Lightroom?

Ian
          Founder/editor
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ian View Post
            Have you considered using Lightroom?

Ian
            Yes, thanks Ian, I've tried it but it seems light on features compared with camera raw.
            I'm looking into updating but waiting until CS5 comes out as I see little point in shelling out for an upgrade that will be superseded in a month or two.

Comment

Originally posted by magicaxeman View Post
              Yes, thanks Ian, I've tried it but it seems light on features compared with camera raw.
              I'm looking into updating but waiting until CS5 comes out as I see little point in shelling out for an upgrade that will be superseded in a month or two.
              CS5 will be public on Monday morning - we'll have a preview here.

In terms of RAW conversion, I feel LR is more intuitive than ACR in Photoshop. It did take me a long time for me to realise the full potential for LR, and it surprises me now when looking back how steep that learning curve was.

I use PS all the time, but all my RAW conversion is done in LR and the converted image is sent to PS as required. LR is much cheaper and will work very well with older versions of PS.

Ian
              Founder/editor
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X