CS4 Save for Web

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CS4 Save for Web

If you despised previous versions of Photoshop for losing exif and other metadata when saving an image, despise no longer

SFW CS4 now has quite wide-ranging options for selectively retaining metadata.

Ian
    Founder/editor
    Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
    Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
    Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Re: CS4 Save for Web

Originally posted by Ian View Post
    If you despised previous versions of Photoshop for losing exif and other metadata when saving an image, despise no longer

SFW CS4 now has quite wide-ranging options for selectively retaining metadata.

Ian
    Here is the evidence (CS4 save to web with metadata):

CS3 has an option to include XMP metadata. It's rather hidden away and I haven't yet managed to persuade it to retain exif data.

Ian
    Founder/editor

Comment

Comment

Maybe back to the drawing board - I have just saved a JPEG camera image using CS4 save for web and with all metadata ticked - but the exif data has not been saved

Ian
        Founder/editor

Comment

Maybe back to the drawing board - I have just saved a JPEG camera image using CS4 save for web and with all metadata ticked - but the exif data has not been saved

Ian
          I have tried the same and without success. Could this be a bug?
          Stephen

sigpic

Check out my BLOG too

Comment

I got all excited for a couple of minutes ......definately something that annoys me with CS3...guess it's a bug or the option wouldn't be there!
            Stuart R
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/fred-canon/

Life is an incurable disease with a 100% mortality rate

Comment

Well I managed to save all the exif data in mine when I 'saved for web'.

All the data is definitely there in the image but it seems to have been stripped out when I uploaded the image to my DPN gallery.

To be more specific - the 'at night' picci I entered in Stephen's salon was 'saved for web' with all the data option selected - it just disappeared when I uploaded it to the gallery. It's still there when I look at the properties on my desktop and it's also there when I reopen it in CS4

Maybe the bug is something to do with the way the website works? Could that be the case?

Pol

Comment

Originally posted by Pol View Post
                Well I managed to save all the exif data in mine when I 'saved for web'.

All the data is definitely there in the image but it seems to have been stripped out when I uploaded the image to my DPN gallery.

To be more specific - the 'at night' picci I entered in Stephen's salon was 'saved for web' with all the data option selected - it just disappeared when I uploaded it to the gallery. It's still there when I look at the properties on my desktop and it's also there when I reopen it in CS4

Maybe the bug is something to do with the way the website works? Could that be the case?

Pol
                I'm still scratching my head about this. There may be metadata being saved, but it doesn't appear to be exif metadata. What are you using to verify that metadata has been saved? Are you seeing xmp files appearing?

Ian
                Founder/editor

Comment

I'm still scratching my head about this. There may be metadata being saved, but it doesn't appear to be exif metadata. What are you using to verify that metadata has been saved? Are you seeing xmp files appearing?

Ian

You're getting a tad too technical for me.

If I open the image in CS4 then look at the exif data I can see all the details about camera used, settings etc and I can also see the RAW data.

The best suggestion I can make would be for you to drag a copy of my image from the salon onto your desktop. See what you can see of the data by looking at the properties - also open it in CS4 and see how much data you can see of the file info.

Maybe you and I are each looking for different things?

Hope that might help a little?

Pol

Comment

Ian,

I've emailed 2 images to Stephen so that you and he can share them and compare them. One was 'saved for web', the other was saved at level 10 in CS4 by using the 'save as' function.

Hope they'll help clarify what I can see in their properties and also in their 'file info' when I open them in CS4.

Pol

Comment

I have managed to duplicate what you found, Pol.

Here is my picture:

Saved with all metadata selected and uploaded to the gallery, but no metadata shown in the gallery.

Windows XP Picture and Fax viewer, for example, can't display any exif data from this image either, though Photoshop CS4 and Bridge CS4 can. So there is some degree of incompatibility introduced by Save for Web in PS, despite the new option.

There could be a fix for the gallery if an update to the module that does the exif data is available. I'll have a look.

Ian
                      Founder/editor

Comment

I have managed to duplicate what you found, Pol.

Here is my picture:

Saved with all metadata selected and uploaded to the gallery, but no metadata shown in the gallery.

Windows XP Picture and Fax viewer, for example, can't display any exif data from this image either, though Photoshop CS4 and Bridge CS4 can. So there is some degree of incompatibility introduced by Save for Web in PS, despite the new option.

There could be a fix for the gallery if an update to the module that does the exif data is available. I'll have a look.

Ian
                        I have updated the JHEAD module, which does the metadata extraction, to the latest version, but no obvious changes have happened.

Ian
                        Founder/editor

Comment

Working...
                        X