Panorama stitching anomaly!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Panorama stitching anomaly!

I'm scratching my head over this. I have run the same pano stitch project on two different computers but using the same software (Photoshop CS6 Photomerge). I have taken care to use the same options and settings. On my new Dell Inspiron 15R N5110 laptop I got this:

That's after trimming and adjusting in Lightroom.

But here is what I got using my old laptop:

Ignore the fact that I haven't trimmed and cropped this one; but look at the joins and the bad alignments.

So what has gone wrong? The old laptop has 4GB RAM and the new one 8GB - could that be the reason?

Ian
    Founder/editor
    Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
    Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
    Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
    sigpic

Re: Panorama stitching anomaly!

I don't do photoshop but....
    could this have anything to do with the colour management configuration?
    -------------------------

Comment

I don't think so, Pops - the more I think about it the more I suspect the memory difference is the key to this. The pano is composed of 14 vertical format donor images, all of them RAW files too. That's nearly 700MB of uncompressed data in 8-bit form. The stitching process may need a lot more memory than that.

Ian
      Founder/editor
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ian View Post
        I don't think so, Pops - the more I think about it the more I suspect the memory difference is the key to this. The pano is composed of 14 vertical format donor images, all of them RAW files too. That's nearly 700MB of uncompressed data in 8-bit form. The stitching process may need a lot more memory than that.

Ian
        I feel it can't be lack of memory, I have stitched even bigger pano's than you are talking about here (over a gig) with 4 gig of RAM it simply took a time to do.
        That said I rarely use Photoshop I use PTui.
        A few years ago i had an odd experience, I did a pano in PTui and one part would not stitch correctly, but it did in Photoshop, the reverse has been the case on other occasions. It my be worth checking out other stitching programes to see how they workout, would make an interesting exorcise.

Patrick

Comment

Ian, have you got a tick against the option "Blend Images Together" ?

Geoff.

Comment

Yes, all three options were ticked - I actually tried twice, once after a re-boot.

Everything was fine after I converted the RAWs to smaller TIFFs in Lightroom - here is the result:

Ian
            Founder/editor
            sigpic

Comment

Never having used the 8mm fish eye, I'd be interested to know how an image such as this would compare with one taken with the 8mm
              Graham

Comment

Working...
              X