Lightroom Library folders missing after certain date

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lightroom Library folders missing after certain date

There was nothing thrown up by the virus scan.

But there is an update on the folder situation - the folders do show when they didn't before, but you can't click on them in the Library list to reveal their contents. So the solution is only half-baked!

Thinking cap is back on again...

Ian
    Founder/editor
    Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
    Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
    Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Comment

Re: Lightroom Library folders missing after certain date

I am revisiting this very old thread because I finally believe I have found the solution. To recap, my main Lightroom catalogue, into which practically all my photos end up, started to act oddly towards the end of 2011. Eventually things settled down but beyond a certain date none of the folder listed in Library view would open and reveal their contents as normal - by clicking on them. The images contained were still accessible but you had to find them by using the Library module search system (filter) in Grid View. The folder problem was more a frustrating mystery than anything else.

I did wonder if there were too many photos in the catalogue (almost 100,000 spanning over a decade) but Adobe's advice is that there is no set limit. I wondered if the database was corrupt, but I'd have expected more fundamental problems if that was the case. I tried exporting images from the 'closed' folders as new catalogues and these worked fine when opened.

I recently got a couple of spare 2TB drives as my main image drive was practically full. With so much free space at least temporarily available I tried exporting the whole catalogue as a new one. It took almost 24 hours to do but the date cut-off problem remained with the new catalogue.

I then decided to export all images dated 2008 and later to a new catalogue and this contained all the images I could not access by clicking on the folder list. To my delight the new catalogue worked normally.

So my tentative conclusion is that it really is the quantity of photos in my master catalogue. Although I have just under 100,000 images listed in the stats, that could be significantly larger as I often record RAW and JPEG at the same time. I don't think such pairs are counted twice.

The next task is to create a new catalogue for all images up to the end of 2007 and if that works fine I will discard the old catalogue and work with the two new ones. It may even be time to start a third!

It's a relief as I was concerned that I might have to rebuild the catalogue from scratch and lose all my keyword tagging and processing edits that have amassed ever since I started using Lightroom - that would have been disastrous!

Ian
      Founder/editor
      Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
      Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
      Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
      Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Comment

Working...
      X