Windows 7 and Windows Live Messenger problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 7 and Windows Live Messenger problem

As I said earlier in another thread, I have clean-installed Windows 7 on Julia's laptop and almost everything has gone very smoothly.

The one thing that won't work properly is Windows Live Messenger. It seems to run OK until you try to enter your user name and password; the cursor is there but you can't type anything.

In fact I have never been able to run Messenger on this machine (Acer Aspire 9300) since we bought it about three years ago and when it was running XP.

I have been convinced that it was an issue with Acer's E-DataSecurity software and Data Execution Prevention (DEP).

However, although the Acer software installed by default during the time the laptop was running XP, then OEM Vista, the current Win7 installation is a clean one, with no Acer security software involved.

So I'm at a dead end now!

Any clever people out there who can help?

Ian
    Founder/editor
    Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
    Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
    Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Re: Windows 7 and Windows Live Messenger problem

Originally posted by Ian View Post
    As I said earlier in another thread, I have clean-installed Windows 7 on Julia's laptop and almost everything has gone very smoothly.

The one thing that won't work properly is Windows Live Messenger. It seems to run OK until you try to enter your user name and password; the cursor is there but you can't type anything.

In fact I have never been able to run Messenger on this machine (Acer Aspire 9300) since we bought it about three years ago and when it was running XP.

I have been convinced that it was an issue with Acer's E-DataSecurity software and Data Execution Prevention (DEP).

However, although the Acer software installed by default during the time the laptop was running XP, then OEM Vista, the current Win7 installation is a clean one, with no Acer security software involved.

So I'm at a dead end now!

Any clever people out there who can help?

Ian
    Hi Ian

I am in the process of upgrading my PC to Windows 7, its about half way through.
    I plan on running it for a bit before doing the laptop.

As I understand it, Mail & Messenger are downloaded separately from the MS site.

Do you know if on upgrading email and settings will be put back after downloading and installing the program.

Patrick

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick View Post
      Hi Ian

I am in the process of upgrading my PC to Windows 7, its about half way through.
      I plan on running it for a bit before doing the laptop.

As I understand it, Mail & Messenger are downloaded separately from the MS site.

Do you know if on upgrading email and settings will be put back after downloading and installing the program.

Patrick
      If you were running Vista originally, and are updating your Vista installation (not using the Custom setup option, which I did for a clean install) then your mail and application settings and accounts will be preserved.

To do a clean install like me (which you have to do if you are switching from XP), use the Windows Easy Transfer tool. It will copy emails, account information, but not passwords as these are encrypted.

Ian

Ian
      Founder/editor

Comment

I realise its no solution to your problem, but you could try meebo, it will allow you to use your MSN login just the same http://www.meebo.com/
        Stephen

sigpic

Check out my BLOG too

Comment

Hi Stephen, in the past we've resorted to aMSN, which is Open Source, and you can also use Messenger via the Web now, but the Live Messenger implementation is by far the best, so I hope patiently a solutions is forthcoming!

Ian
          Founder/editor

Comment

Originally posted by Ian View Post
            If you were running Vista originally, and are updating your Vista installation (not using the Custom setup option, which I did for a clean install) then your mail and application settings and accounts will be preserved.

To do a clean install like me (which you have to do if you are switching from XP), use the Windows Easy Transfer tool. It will copy emails, account information, but not passwords as these are encrypted.

Ian

Ian

Completed the upgrade, so far so good, if a new driver is required it automatically finds and installs without prompting. But one problem my AVG Firewall wont work some sort of communication problem with a driver. I have sent the problem to AVG just awaiting the solution, which could with hundred and possibly thousands of people upgrading take days to get a reply. Do you think re-installing AVG might do the trick.
            I have for the time being switched on windows firewall.

Patrick

Comment

Haha! panic over - it was a UI issue! The field prompts (text) didn't disappear or be deleted when I put the cursor over them. In fact, all I needed to do was type over them. Anyway, it's working now!
              Ian
              Founder/editor

Comment

Working...
              X