LightRoom - advice/help required

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LightRoom - advice/help required

I have just had a problem with my desktop computer which necessitated a re-install of Windows 7 and also my LightRoom software. Does anyone know if it is possible for LightRoom to somehow find the catalogs and photos which it had before as they are all somewhere on the hard drive. All my photos were on Drive F in one main folder dived into seperate folders according to camera. Any help would be much appreciated.

Re: LightRoom - advice/help required

Hi Dennis

How frustrating! I recently had a new computer and had to reinstall all my programs and images. It took ages.

I found this tutorial by Julieanne Kost very helpful.

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/the-comple...ther-computer/

I am not sure that you have the same problem, but she may help.

Have you still got your "F" drive, or has it renamed itself with the reinstall.

Do you have a Lightroom backup on a separate drive (external)? If so, it should be easy to get them back into Lightroom by following the tutorial.

I was always of the opinion that if you did a reinstall your hard drive was cleared of all data. (I could be wrong, I am only an amateur).

As you seem to think that your images are still floating around there somewhere, perhaps only your C: drive was affected and data was left on the other drives.

Apart from your C: drive, what other drives do you have and if you left click on them and then right click on "Properties", does it show any data in them?

May be you don't now have an "F" drive. When I have repartitioned my drives, sometimes they become renamed, so may be your stuff is in another drive.

As you can see from the Tutorial, Julieanne uses the Lightroom Backups, but if you don't have these, and you are just trying to locate your images (and don't know whether they are there at all), I would try doing a search of each drive by putting *.jpg into the search box and see if anything shows. If they are RAW files, then you would need to put the RAW extension in place of the jpg.

I hope this helps, until someone with more knowledge than me is available.
    Audrey

https://www.flickr.com/photos/autumn36/

Comment

Audrey - many thanks for your quick reply and helpful suggestions. When reinstalled Windows I simply put the DVD in and let it do its own thing. What apparently happens is it creates a new Windows folder on the Crive in which it puts the new system and renames the previous Windows containing most of the C: files to Windows.old. All the data on the C,E and F are still there. My photos as I said are on the Fartition and are still. intact. I will look at the link to the article you mentioned.

Comment

Hi Dennis

If they are on the F drive, can you see them and if so are they in the manner in which you thought they were?

I am thinking that what you want is to get them back into Lightroom with all their adjustments. If this is correct, you will need to go to your Lightroom Backup folder. The tutorial is great and will tell you exactly how to do this. I kept stopping and starting it and watching it as I was importing mine.

Good Luck and let me know how you get on.
        Audrey

https://www.flickr.com/photos/autumn36/

Comment

Working...
        X