X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first post for critique.

Just looking for some notes

Re: My first post for critique.

I go for third shot. I see a story of poverty in that. Although the riders face isn't very clear his body posture indicates that he is resigned to his lot in life.
    -------------------------

Comment

I think you see things in these images that maybe passes others by. Its difficult for some to interpret what you see in a scene, or a person. Perhaps its something quite basic, like the picture of the man, maybe it says nothing to many people, they don't see what you see, for me its about colour, blue. However it may be a more complex feeling you got from taking these shots. The swing shot I've been studying, not sure if the effect is created in camera or after However its vaguely unnerving and I wonder what you are trying to say in the stationary swing

The picture of the cyclist, could be simply a local on their way back from the store, or the allotment with his freshly grown produce but in an age of the car and an apparently middle class area of Toronto, one has to ask the question

I'm not too sure about the top picture, I have an aversion to body piercing and studs in the facial area, my problem I know, but I find it difficult to look at her. There is something different about the shot and I can't help feeling it has been taken with a purpose.

As I said, for some people its difficult to interpret what was in your mind, I'd appreciate your own personal thoughts on the images.
      Stephen

sigpic

Check out my BLOG too

Comment

The first shot is my favourite by far and you have, photographicly (spelling wrong I'm sure:| ), a very interesting model. I think you should have thrown the background more out of focus and you can do this in photoshop. The eyes look great with the black eyeliner too.
        The swing shot does little for me other than being a useful depth of field of field exercise.
        The man on the bike is a good advert for .... well lots of environmental things.
        Maybe getting in a little closer and having less of the distractions around the place might help to improve.
        The man in blue is a nice crisp shot and the shades with the reflections are good. Again I would have thrown the background a bit more out of focus although in this case the type of background we have here doesn't need it too much.
        Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
          The swing shot I've been studying, not sure if the effect is created in camera or after However its vaguely unnerving and I wonder what you are trying to say in the stationary swing
          Stephen, thank you for the comments. I have come across that "lost in translation" with my photos before so I do understand what you mean.

As for the swing, the swing itself was the only thing moving(and the camera) It was a panning shot. The only change I made to the photo was the sepia tone. Unnerving is kind of close. I was going for a lost child/ ghost child feel to it. Either that or lost childhood.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom View Post
            The swing shot does little for me other than being a useful depth of field of field exercise.
            The man on the bike is a good advert for .... well lots of environmental things.
            Maybe getting in a little closer and having less of the distractions around the place might help to improve.
            The man in blue is a nice crisp shot and the shades with the reflections are good. Again I would have thrown the background a bit more out of focus although in this case the type of background we have here doesn't need it too much.
            Tom
            The swing was actually a panning shot for the blur.

But yes I do struggle with depth of field sometimes. I have been getting better since I got my DSLR. My old camera didn't have much manual control. But now that I have it I'll keep working on it I refuse to use automatic on it so I can learn to do it myself and learn what causes the right outcome. Thank you for your input

Comment

Originally posted by Life in a Lens View Post
              Stephen, thank you for the comments. I have come across that "lost in translation" with my photos before so I do understand what you mean.

As for the swing, the swing itself was the only thing moving(and the camera) It was a panning shot. The only change I made to the photo was the sepia tone. Unnerving is kind of close. I was going for a lost child/ ghost child feel to it. Either that or lost childhood.
              Ah this was my first feeling on how you had done it. Its nicely done IMO, to be able to follow the swing acurately and freeze it just in the right spot doesn't come easy to a lot of people.
              Stephen

sigpic

Check out my BLOG too

Comment

Originally posted by Life in a Lens View Post
                The swing was actually a panning shot for the blur.

But yes I do struggle with depth of field sometimes. I have been getting better since I got my DSLR. My old camera didn't have much manual control. But now that I have it I'll keep working on it I refuse to use automatic on it so I can learn to do it myself and learn what causes the right outcome. Thank you for your input
                Thanks for that and sorry I made the wrong assumption. Well done on doing it this way.

Comment

Don't worry. Honest mistake. Thank you. And nice to meet you

Comment

An interesting little portfolio

I see a thinking photographer in these!

Ian
                    Founder/editor
                    Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
                    Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
                    Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
                    Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Comment

I particularly like the first one.

What I like is that the model and the style and presentation of photo go hand-in-hand ......... ie bold, piercing, penetrating, colourful and kinda 'hard/harsh'. Nice glint,sparkle and catchlight in her eyes too.

Pol

Comment

1) The solid black hair seems to detract from the potential power of the image. I was drawn to her eyes but for me the dark frame around her face began to distract me.
                        2) As a people picture taker, sun glasses is a no no for me, and likely for only me.
                        No comment. can't get past the sun glasses.
                        3) The perspective lines of the street draw you away from the subject. I would make a closer crop to focus on the bike rider to add interest to the image.
                        4) Too much background IMHO. I would crop closely.
                        Hope you find these of interest.

Comment

And I thank you for your honest opinion! I think I'm going to like this place a lot. I was getting a little out of sorts with the last of critique in Deviant Art. Just a lot of "oooh pretty" in there. It's good to hear some real comments. Thank you!

Comment

Hello!
                            My favourite is the one with the man in the blue.....I love the reflection in the glasses....if I can see it right, he is looking at a crane and a building under construction, I think the crane is interesting...the look on his face makes me think he is pondering the meaning of life As for the man on the bike I have to agree with a few others that a good crop would make it more interesting and less distracting. Love the panning one....I have tried this and just can't seem to get it to work, do you have any pointers? You have made me think about giving it another go! Its nice to see another Canuck on here....even if you are American by birth

Dana

Comment

Hi LIAL, and welcome.

1. My favourite of the people shots, at least the subject/personality is my favourite. The piercings and relatively rough complexion seem gritty and in-your-face, but there's a kind of forthright intelligence in the eyes and the set of her mouth, more than just rebellion for the sake of rebellion. Technical-wise, I like the way her face stands out from the dark hair and background. (One cheek is redder than the other, or is that just the lighting?)

2. Least favourite (hope it isn't a self-portrait ). Are the shades hiding his eyes for a reason? Bland, gray background. Most striking part of the picture for me is the blueness of the shirt. The way he is up against the wall seems constricting (the woman is against a wall too, but at least she's separated by contrast). I notice also that in both shots, the subject is at the side of the frame, looking out, which makes me think it's a kind of signature technique/statement (maybe to keep the viewer off balance?).

3. This had little impact on me, though I like Pops' observation about his body language. But it made me wonder where homeless people travel from.

4. I did a double take on this one. Kind of haunting and unsettling. Nice one. ("Kind of haunting and unsettling" would describe the group of pictures as a whole for me.)

Comment

Working...
                              X