Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My first post for critique.

Originally posted by Life in a Lens View Post
    And I thank you for your honest opinion! I think I'm going to like this place a lot. I was getting a little out of sorts with the last of critique in Deviant Art. Just a lot of "oooh pretty" in there. It's good to hear some real comments. Thank you!
    I'm really pleased you're enjoying the feedback here

I must admit my response to the set of shots was a bit on the concise side as I didn't really have the time to do a detailed critique on all five pictures in one go, so you might get an even better response by showing one picture at a time in future.

Ian
    Last edited by Ian; 06-12-06, 12:17 PM.
    Founder/editor
    Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
    Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
    Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Nicholas View Post
      1) The solid black hair seems to detract from the potential power of the image. I was drawn to her eyes but for me the dark frame around her face began to distract me.
      2) As a people picture taker, sun glasses is a no no for me, and likely for only me.
      No comment. can't get past the sun glasses.

3) The perspective lines of the street draw you away from the subject. I would make a closer crop to focus on the bike rider to add interest to the image.
      4) Too much background IMHO. I would crop closely.
      Hope you find these of interest.
      Don't you think you could be missing the point here Nicholas? Surely the sunglasses are an essential part of the image, they create the reflection, with the blue sky that matches the blue jacket.

I'd normally agree about people shots and sunglasses but in this case I think the picture would not work without them.
      Stephen

sigpic

Check out my BLOG too

Comment

Originally posted by Blank Page
        3. This had little impact on me, though I like Pops' observation about his body language. But it made me wonder where homeless people travel from.
        I don't get this homeless person thing at all

Also it has been mentioned about cropping it. IMHO that would destroy the scene completely and take him out of the environment we see him. This picture is more than a man on a bike
        Stephen

sigpic

Check out my BLOG too

Comment

[QUOTE=Life in a Lens;5440]Just looking for some notes

Hi,
          Just my take on your photographs. Purely my own personal opinion.

Images one and two, these are well executed Posed shots? Other than good photographs, they are just record shots, of the times, showing just two extremes of fashion.

Image two is an street /reportage shot, and shows what appears to be the deterioration of a middle class neibourhood, and the difference between the haves and have nots, IE: the parked cars of the more affluent against the cyclist/s who appears to have seen better times.

The third image is an haunting and unconfortable image, like a scene from a horror movie, children dissappearing etc: a well executed process achieving what I think you set out to achieve.

All the images are good well executed and processed shots IMO.
          Catch Ya Later
          Tinka

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
            Don't you think you could be missing the point here Nicholas? Surely the sunglasses are an essential part of the image, they create the reflection, with the blue sky that matches the blue jacket.

I'd normally agree about people shots and sunglasses but in this case I think the picture would not work without them.
            I think the picture in question is, quite normally, going to polarise opinion. It's certainly not wrong of Nicholas to dislike it and there are plenty of others who will like it for exactly the reasons Nicholas doesn't - nothing wrong in that at all

Ian
            Founder/editor
            sigpic

Comment

All the images here seem to be thought provoking and so far only comments have been made on the content of each image. My old fashioned views on photography prompt me to comment on the way they have been taken or cropped to the final image. The first two are people shots with them looking out of the frame. I feel these would have looked nicer had they been further to the left looking into the frame. Both have an unbalanced look IMHO. The third image could do with some straitening as the whole image is tilted to the right. I'm not against tilting images for impact but one or the other not a slight misalignment as in this one. The third I find interesting but hard to view. Seems too weak on contrast and a murky sort of B&W. There you have it. As I said old fashioned views so quite expect the younger ones to jump on my judgment.

Comment

Ok! I'll remember that.

Comment

Originally posted by lumix View Post
                  All the images here seem to be thought provoking and so far only comments have been made on the content of each image. My old fashioned views on photography prompt me to comment on the way they have been taken or cropped to the final image. The first two are people shots with them looking out of the frame. I feel these would have looked nicer had they been further to the left looking into the frame. Both have an unbalanced look IMHO. The third image could do with some straitening as the whole image is tilted to the right. I'm not against tilting images for impact but one or the other not a slight misalignment as in this one. The third I find interesting but hard to view. Seems too weak on contrast and a murky sort of B&W. There you have it. As I said old fashioned views so quite expect the younger ones to jump on my judgment.
                  It's interesting that the mono with the man on the bike is a cold 'Agfa Brovira' tone, while the 'spooky swings' picture is a warmer 'Portriga Rapid' tone

The bike picture, by the looks of the shadows, was taken on an overcast day so the low key nature of the picture seems normal to me.

Ian
                  Founder/editor
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by lumix View Post
                    The first two are people shots with them looking out of the frame. I feel these would have looked nicer had they been further to the left looking into the frame. Both have an unbalanced look IMHO.

The third image could do with some straitening as the whole image is tilted to the right. I'm not against tilting images for impact but one or the other not a slight misalignment as in this one.
                    OK, I do see what you mean. *nods* But I myself just have a thing about centering people or having them look it the camera. Example: The girl photo, the first 2 shots I tried with her she looked more at me but ended uplooking so uncomfortable. Then I said ok an she looked off and looked like herself again. What I like to do is try to catch people as they are and not posed. I know I probably do need some schooling on proper composition since I've just been learning by doing so far.

As for the tilt. I think that might be an optical illision (that might not be the write word) but, the street itself was on a hill and the guy was tilted from all the bags putting him off balance. ^_^ Some of the posts on the street actaully are tilted too. Kind of an old street. But I do see how it makes it look tilted.

But thank you for your comment I will watch for some of these things in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Blank Page View Post
                      2. Least favourite (hope it isn't a self-portrait ). Are the shades hiding his eyes for a reason? Bland, gray background. Most striking part of the picture for me is the blueness of the shirt. The way he is up against the wall seems constricting (the woman is against a wall too, but at least she's separated by contrast). I notice also that in both shots, the subject is at the side of the frame, looking out, which makes me think it's a kind of signature technique/statement (maybe to keep the viewer off balance?).
                      Heh, Actaully no, I'm female. That's my boyfriend. The wall was he was spacing out at the sub stop and I liked the blues. That was about it. I never actually noticed the off centre looking looking out thing till everyone started pointing it out here. ^_^ that's kind of interesting I'll have to pay more attention to that.
                      I said in an earlier reply that I just usually try to catch people being natural. That always seems to work better when they don't notice the camera. *giggles*

Thank you for your comments!

Comment

[QUOTE=Tinka;5523]
                        Just looking for some notes

Hi,
                        Just my take on your photographs. Purely my own personal opinion.

Images one and two, these are well executed Posed shots? Other than good photographs, they are just record shots, of the times, showing just two extremes of fashion.

Image two is an street /reportage shot, and shows what appears to be the deterioration of a middle class neibourhood, and the difference between the haves and have nots, IE: the parked cars of the more affluent against the cyclist/s who appears to have seen better times.

The third image is an haunting and unconfortable image, like a scene from a horror movie, children dissappearing etc: a well executed process achieving what I think you set out to achieve.

All the images are good well executed and processed shots IMO.

Ah, thank you. (though just a note. cause I saw the ? about the posing. I almost never pose people cause 1. When I try to they look uncomfortable and 2. I usually don't have the courage to ask if I can pose someone. Still working up to that. LeastI'm getting better about asking someone if I can take their picture to begin with. ^_^)

Thank you for the comments!

Comment

Originally posted by Dana View Post
                          Hello!
                          My favourite is the one with the man in the blue.....I love the reflection in the glasses....if I can see it right, he is looking at a crane and a building under construction, I think the crane is interesting...the look on his face makes me think he is pondering the meaning of life As for the man on the bike I have to agree with a few others that a good crop would make it more interesting and less distracting. Love the panning one....I have tried this and just can't seem to get it to work, do you have any pointers? You have made me think about giving it another go! Its nice to see another Canuck on here....even if you are American by birth

Dana
                          The man in the blue is the whole reason I'm here in Canada to begin with! ^_^ And your right on, he was spacing out staring at some construction across the way while we were waiting for a bus.

As for the panning that was my first attempt at it. I guess it's all about timing. Just try to follow the moving object at it's same pace. I now practice on passing cars. ^_^ Just keep trying. You'll get it!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian View Post
                            An interesting little portfolio

I see a thinking photographer in these!

Ian
                            Thank you!
                            That's a good thing I hope.

Comment

Heh, Actaully no, I'm female. That's my boyfriend. The wall was he was spacing out at the sub stop and I liked the blues. That was about it. I never actually noticed the off centre looking looking out thing till everyone started pointing it out here. ^_^ that's kind of interesting I'll have to pay more attention to that.
                              I said in an earlier reply that I just usually try to catch people being natural. That always seems to work better when they don't notice the camera. *giggles*

Thank you for your comments!
                              Well thank goodness for that. I have been reading your bio and searching for where it said you were "male" and wondered how Blank-Page knew you were male. I had decided you were female.

I like the way the first photo is presented - off centre and the catchlight in the girl's eyes. I agree that she only half appears rebellious.

I also liked the reflections in your boy friends glasses and I thought that was the point of the whole photograph.

I am not a big fan of mono but the man on a bike to me, is just another street scene and interesting because of that. It needs straightening and the man and bike is not too clear.

Sorry, I just cannot hack the swing in the park. I am afraid I would have deleted it. You could say I am a moron because I obviously lack your artistic viewpoint. I am afraid I do not look too deeply into a photograph for me it is WYSIWYG. Pol's the one for analysis - her analytical skills are second to none.

Keep posting.
                              Audrey

https://www.flickr.com/photos/autumn36/

Comment

Heh, Actaully no, I'm female. That's my boyfriend...
                                Well, that's straightened out, then.

I didn't like the sunglasses because I found the eyes of the woman in the first shot so open and intriguing, and felt like he was denying anyone looking into his. Guilt by association, maybe.

As for the off center composition and looking out of frame, I don't see anything necessarily wrong with that, if that's your way, but rules are usually broken for a reason.

Anyway, interesting photographs for me (two of them anyway) and I'm looking forward to seeing more.

Comment

Working...
                                X