Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Karst Moon

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
    Karst, for those who don't know is the term for Limestone scenery. This shot was taken in the limestone hills around Malham in North Yorkshire. Appreciate your opinion and feelings on the shot, could it be improved?
    Well I like them all Stephen!
    Particularly the crop on the tree, with the moon.

The first one I feel would benefit from a slight gradient on the sky, to enhance the feeling of night aproaching.

Lovely pictures though.
    sigpic

Comment

My first thought on seeing this one was that the moon was in no way "compatible" with the colours being cast on the land and came to the conclusion, as Tinka said, that it must have been planted there. So I feel it just looked unnatural.
      I now feef the letter box is just the job and it does full justice to the positioning of the tree making it a great composition. But it looks now a lttle bit like it was taken at the wrong time of day so I feel all it need is a little more saturation (perhaps on greens only).
      Tom

Comment

Karst, for those who don't know is the term for Limestone scenery. This shot was taken in the limestone hills around Malham in North Yorkshire. Appreciate your opinion and feelings on the shot, could it be improved?

Hi Stephen,

The shot is nice, though the moon looks too big for this time of the day. But then again in Northern countries the moon always looks bigger (hope is not artificial addition).

My personal suggestion for improving the shot has as follows:

I think the middle wall is too much for the picture. I would have taken the middle wall off (in some image editor) or have taken the picture from a different place, so that long wall not to distract. The upper wall is enough in my opinion.
        Try to imagine by just looking at the photo, how it would look without the middle wall there. It would be a green land with a single tree on the side, one little wall defining the photo's horizon and dividing the picture in half (land - sky) and the moon on the upper left...perfect!

Also I would use some backlighting method to decrease the picture brightness and give a feeling that is late afternoon or beginning of evening where there is still day, the sky is still blue but the lighting is not so intense.

Anyway, this is my thinking about improving the picture, but I think the most important of my two suggestion is for that middle wall to come off even if the lighting stays the same.

Regards

George

Comment

Hi George, many thanks for your thoughts on the photo. I'm not too sure about your suggestion of major alterations to the scene, dropping a moon in was one thing, but taking out a wall, well thats quite another

Its certainly interesting to see how people have very different opinions on the shot. There are surely lessons to be learnt here
          Stephen

sigpic

Check out my BLOG too

Comment

Hi George, many thanks for your thoughts on the photo. I'm not too sure about your suggestion of major alterations to the scene, dropping a moon in was one thing, but taking out a wall, well thats quite another

Its certainly interesting to see how people have very different opinions on the shot. There are surely lessons to be learnt here

Stephen, my wall suggestion relies on my opinion that from what I've seen untill now, you must be a Photoshop Master! I don't think that there is something impossible for you to do in Photoshop or whichever other software you use for image processing. That is how I suggested if you can take the wall off.

And yes, it is really interesting to see how people think or interpet things in different ways.
            Personally I believe that photography doesn't have standard rules and stereotypes, but instead I believe that photography rules mind freedom.

Regards

George

Comment

I love the shot, but there's something about that moon that doesn't feel right. I don't think it's so much its addition, as where it is, but I could be wrong. To me, the image becomes too balanced with the moon where it is.... Tree here right, moon there left, like weights on a scale. With the moon gone, and the sky reduced a bit -- not as much as the lower-down version -- the composition feels more natural. Just my feeling!

Comment

Originally posted by LesleyO View Post
                I love the shot, but there's something about that moon that doesn't feel right. I don't think it's so much its addition, as where it is, but I could be wrong. To me, the image becomes too balanced with the moon where it is.... Tree here right, moon there left, like weights on a scale. With the moon gone, and the sky reduced a bit -- not as much as the lower-down version -- the composition feels more natural. Just my feeling!
                Thanks for your comments Lesley, much appreciated. Its an interesting analogy you make with the scales. I wonder however had the moon really been there, and it genuinley wasn't that far away how many would have taken the shot with the tree on the right and the moon on the left to balance the picture? At the end of the day as you may realise, it was a question of balance when I decided to put it in. I suppose to a large extent its a subjective thing as to whether it works, I certainly appreciate your thoughts as I was undecided hence my decision to post it here
                Stephen

sigpic

Check out my BLOG too

Comment

Then, if the moon had actually been 'reachable' within the frame of the camera, I think perhaps I'd have framed it a little differently, but as I say, that's a personal thing! I do like the image, overall, but find it a little too balanced. My eye tends to go back and forth too much between the moon and the tree, and misses all that lovely rock fencing below, as a result....

Did you play quite a bit with the moon's placement? Would love to see an alternative or two.

Comment

Originally posted by LesleyO View Post
                    I do like the image, overall, but find it a little too balanced. My eye tends to go back and forth too much between the moon and the tree, and misses all that lovely rock fencing below, as a result....
                    This is a good point, mine too

Didn't play with the placement that much I felt it natuarally wanted to be there, but I was thinking of the balance
                    Stephen

sigpic

Check out my BLOG too

Comment

Lesley, this image taken a sort time after, is an 'as was' shot and iirc is the same moon I used in the original.

Stephen

sigpic

Check out my BLOG too

Comment

Working...
                      X