X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pewidane
    replied
    Re: Overlooking Wensleydale

you are absolutely right,like the mood and the moderate color.

Leave a comment:

• ash
    replied

Yes it does float my boat and think its very calming, the sun ray's make it, you usually have to be pretty ready and set up as a scene like this does not hang around for long.
    The only thing I dislike is the dark foreground which could be exposed a touch more, saying that I am on a new monitor which I have not calibrated yet.
    Ash.

Leave a comment:

• Stephen
    replied

Originally posted by jojo View Post
    Dramatic with a capital "D" complemented by harmonious framing. Great stuff.

jo
    Thanks jojo

Leave a comment:

• jojo
    replied

Dramatic with a capital "D" complemented by harmonious framing. Great stuff.

jo

Leave a comment:

• Barr1e
    replied

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
    Thanks for making the effort Barrie, much appreciated. It seems to me then that you actually like many of the major elements of the picture

Hi Stephen -

Agreed - I think had it been brighter I would have liked it very much. I enjoy looking at scenes with rolling hills, sun rays and streams etc. Your image contained all those elements and more but the detail was masked.

Regards. Barr1e

Leave a comment:

• Autumn
    replied

Here is another taken from the same spot, though I have cropped to a letterbox style to emphasise the mood of the scene, I felt it worked better this way
    This is my preferred shot. I like the crop and the hope it offers. I see BLUE sky and the hidden sun's rays lighting up the ground and little stream.

Yes, I like the mood and whole shape of this one.

Leave a comment:

• Stephen
    replied

Thanks for your thoughts Rod, it's much appreciated as always.
    The second shot was infact a different exposure and the cloud and therefore the light had changed a bit. Consequently there was more of the land lit and I felt more people would like the exta detail it offered.

Leave a comment:

• Rodbender
    replied

Stephen I can appreciate what you tried to achieve with this scene. I have attempted and failed (I blame my little point and shooter ) to capture similar scenes. I like the overall mood in your first posted image. When I see images like that I try to learn from them what the photographer had in mind. Your description of the image and the end result seem to match, so I guess you are pleased with the image. Personally I found increasing the contrast a touch in the upper half added a bit more impact to the shafts of light. Doing so made the image close to your last posted (letterbox) image. As for foreground detail, I'm not sure it is necessary in this type of image. In fact the lack of it lets the viewers eye look further into the picture. So to sum up, first your image didn't jump of the page at me, but I like it all the same.

Leave a comment:

• Ian
    replied

Thanks for your comments everyone, much appreciated. I was a little concerned that some of you would consider the foreground too dark, and yet on my monitor there is a good deal of shadow detail. I also realise that the hills in the distance do not show much detail.

However for me this is not what the picture is about. IMO there is no need to have fine detail in these areas, as its more about the light and shadow, the tonal gradation, the shape and form of the land and the interaction of these things along with the small river like a snaking bright ribbon winding its way into the valley beyond.

Anyway here is a similar shot where I have managed to find a bit more detail. Of the two do you think this is any better
    I understand where you are coming from, Stephen, I just think that this isn't the kind of scene that lends itself well to that kind of image goal. It's a very personal thing, anyway.

Ian

Leave a comment:

• Jocelyn Walker
    replied

Stephen, I prefer the 2nd image! The river seems more evident.

Leave a comment:

• Pol
    replied

Thanks Pol, you have it spot on and you have just conveyed the principle of what I was about to reply to Audrey. The original picture was not intended as a picture postcard view with bright colours and well exposed in every respect, something with little mood or emotion.

Here is another taken from the same spot, though I have cropped to a letterbox style to emphasise the mood of the scene, I felt it worked better this way
    Yes, that one works well at conveying the mood too; nice 'layers' of the contours, tones and light in the overall composition. Both the letterbox and the original work for me.

I think it's the dark foreground that makes the original one work so well for me actually - so I like either full frame and dark foreground or letterbox crop.

The thing I like about the dark foreground and full frame, shown without trying to enhance details' is that it gives a sense of scale and space for the lightbeams to sweep over. I should also add that when I watch such a scene in real life I don't watch or especially notice the dark foreground. The mind kinda shuts it off (into darkness) as I watch the shafts of light and wait for them to sweep over the landscape.

Pol

Leave a comment:

• Stephen
    replied

Originally posted by Barr1e View Post
    I have to say Stephen from the start that I have not been groomed sufficiently to judge another's work. However, I will pass comment as little as it is in that I don't like the first pic apart from the sun's rays.
    The second I like a little more than the first image but it still does not sell itself to me. I do however like the contours and running river.
    I hoped I haven't copped out again.

Regards. Barr1e
    Thanks for making the effort Barrie, much appreciated. It seems to me then that you actually like many of the major elements of the picture

Leave a comment:

• Stephen
    replied

Originally posted by Pol View Post
    I don't suppose you were aiming for a 'pretty landscape' picture, were you?
    I hope not anyway 'cos I don't think you got one.

I prefer the first one, the original at the start of the thread. I rather like it actually. What I like about it is the mood - the dark, wet, grey and soggy scene yet with the promise of sunlight beginning to show through. A promise of a sun about to sweep its waves of light across the rolling landcape.

The second shot's ok too but it doesn't convey to me that same sort of dark, wet and moody promise as seen in the first one.

Pol
    Thanks Pol, you have it spot on and you have just conveyed the principle of what I was about to reply to Audrey. The original picture was not intended as a picture postcard view with bright colours and well exposed in every respect, something with little mood or emotion.

Leave a comment:

• Pol
    replied

I would appreciate anyones thoughts on this shot. What do you like or dislike about it, does it float your boat Come on, esp you Barrie, no copping out now, I need more than 'nice picture' or 'I like it a lot' If you think its cr@p I want to know, and why

I don't suppose you were aiming for a 'pretty landscape' picture, were you?
    I hope not anyway 'cos I don't think you got one.

I prefer the first one, the original at the start of the thread. I rather like it actually. What I like about it is the mood - the dark, wet, grey and soggy scene yet with the promise of sunlight beginning to show through. A promise of a sun about to sweep its waves of light across the rolling landcape.

The second shot's ok too but it doesn't convey to me that same sort of dark, wet and moody promise as seen in the first one.

Pol

Leave a comment:

• Autumn
    replied

When I first saw the photograph, I felt that the foreground was too dark. I like to see a little more detail.

I liked the stream's silvery lights wending its way through the dale and I can appreciate the contours and shapes of the landscape together with the misty background.

I usually judge pictures on how I like them and how they make me feel, but I am afraid on this occasion Stephen it does not really work for me.

I suppose in general I like light and colourful photographs. This does not mean that darker shadowy ones are bad, its just that for me, they don't give me the lift I look for.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X