Overlooking Wensleydale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overlooking Wensleydale

I would appreciate anyones thoughts on this shot. What do you like or dislike about it, does it float your boat Come on, esp you Barrie, no copping out now, I need more than 'nice picture' or 'I like it a lot' If you think its cr@p I want to know, and why

Stephen

sigpic

Check out my BLOG too

Re: Overlooking Wensleydale

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
    I would appreciate anyones thoughts on this shot. What do you like or dislike about it, does it float your boat Come on, esp you Barrie, no copping out now, I need more than 'nice picture' or 'I like it a lot' If you think its cr@p I want to know, and why
    I like this, Stephen, quite a lot... *lol

Seriously - though, I'm missing a bit too much of the foreground in terms of interest. The river or stream seems a bit lost there. But the faint rays in the misty sky and the distant ridge are really good.

Ian
    Founder/editor
    Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
    Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
    Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Comment

Hi Stephen

I like the picture too for the the feeling it promotes inside me

The shot seems too dark at the front.

Dave R
      Cheers
      Dave R

Comment

Hello Stephen

I will agree with the others, far too dark at the front, the faint rays further back tend to obscure what is in the background. I find the point of interest becomes the trees about halfway up on the left hand side having been led to them by the stream? along the bottom of the picture. I just wish there was more to be seen further back, mainly due to the foreground being so dark

Mowgli

Comment

I agree that the foreground is too dark. It would have been better if there had been light on the left side of stream thereby giving more interest. I feel you may have been able to make more of the shot had there been more detail in the light rays there are. It could possibly have enhanced the mood of the photo! Going by your usual shots Stephen, this one is a bit bland I'm sorry to say!
          Jocelyn

Comment

Thanks for your comments everyone, much appreciated. I was a little concerned that some of you would consider the foreground too dark, and yet on my monitor there is a good deal of shadow detail. I also realise that the hills in the distance do not show much detail.

However for me this is not what the picture is about. IMO there is no need to have fine detail in these areas, as its more about the light and shadow, the tonal gradation, the shape and form of the land and the interaction of these things along with the small river like a snaking bright ribbon winding its way into the valley beyond.

Anyway here is a similar shot where I have managed to find a bit more detail. Of the two do you think this is any better

Stephen

sigpic

Check out my BLOG too

Comment

Must agree with you there Stephen i think the light and dark integrate well to make you envisage the type of weather. The light reflection on the stream leads you through the image to the rays highlighting the middle ground. In this instance i don't think the finer detail is as important as the mood the image portrays. I like it.....JIM

Comment

Originally posted by strontian View Post
                Must agree with you there Stephen i think the light and dark integrate well to make you envisage the type of weather. The light reflection on the stream leads you through the image to the rays highlighting the middle ground. In this instance i don't think the finer detail is as important as the mood the image portrays. I like it.....JIM
                Glad you agree Jim, and nice of you to say so
                Stephen

sigpic

Check out my BLOG too

Comment

I prefer the second picture.
                  Mowgli

Comment

Sorry Stephen this one does not work for me which is strange because I always look forward to your photos. I like the way you show light and detail in your normal posts. I am with most of the the others in that the foreground is to dark and I find myself wondering to the middle of the picture.
                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/petebphotos/

Comment

I have to say Stephen from the start that I have not been groomed sufficiently to judge another's work. However, I will pass comment as little as it is in that I don't like the first pic apart from the sun's rays.
                      The second I like a little more than the first image but it still does not sell itself to me. I do however like the contours and running river.
                      I hoped I haven't copped out again.

Regards. Barr1e

Comment

hi
                        Second one for me. Although I am viewing and posting from an iPhone (on holiday in mevagissy) so hardly a calibrated screen.

The second one has greater levels of tone and this helps give it depth drawing me in.
                        Best regards
                        Josh
                        http://www.flickr.com/photos/40196275@N08/

Comment

When I first saw the photograph, I felt that the foreground was too dark. I like to see a little more detail.

I liked the stream's silvery lights wending its way through the dale and I can appreciate the contours and shapes of the landscape together with the misty background.

I usually judge pictures on how I like them and how they make me feel, but I am afraid on this occasion Stephen it does not really work for me.

I suppose in general I like light and colourful photographs. This does not mean that darker shadowy ones are bad, its just that for me, they don't give me the lift I look for.
                          Audrey

https://www.flickr.com/photos/autumn36/

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post

I don't suppose you were aiming for a 'pretty landscape' picture, were you?
                            I hope not anyway 'cos I don't think you got one.

I prefer the first one, the original at the start of the thread. I rather like it actually. What I like about it is the mood - the dark, wet, grey and soggy scene yet with the promise of sunlight beginning to show through. A promise of a sun about to sweep its waves of light across the rolling landcape.

The second shot's ok too but it doesn't convey to me that same sort of dark, wet and moody promise as seen in the first one.

Pol

Comment

Originally posted by Pol View Post
                              I don't suppose you were aiming for a 'pretty landscape' picture, were you?
                              I hope not anyway 'cos I don't think you got one.

I prefer the first one, the original at the start of the thread. I rather like it actually. What I like about it is the mood - the dark, wet, grey and soggy scene yet with the promise of sunlight beginning to show through. A promise of a sun about to sweep its waves of light across the rolling landcape.

The second shot's ok too but it doesn't convey to me that same sort of dark, wet and moody promise as seen in the first one.

Pol
                              Thanks Pol, you have it spot on and you have just conveyed the principle of what I was about to reply to Audrey. The original picture was not intended as a picture postcard view with bright colours and well exposed in every respect, something with little mood or emotion.

Here is another taken from the same spot, though I have cropped to a letterbox style to emphasise the mood of the scene, I felt it worked better this way

Stephen

sigpic

Check out my BLOG too

Comment

Working...
                              X