Morning Light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Morning Light

Was out early one day last week. The intention was to catch some morning light. Its often difficult to get exactly the right conditions and finding a good spot takes patience and time. Often its the most unlikely places that give you the best result. This was a shot that really was not anticipated, but the light seemed nice and I felt the feel of the picture was typical of the small villages in the hills of West Yorks approaching the Lancs border. This was near Luddenden Foot. Does it do anything for you?

Stephen

sigpic

Check out my BLOG too

Re: Morning Light

Well Stephen you know i hardly comment , but as i'm up early
    I feel it needs a focal point , too much empty tarmac in the foreground , the manhole cover grates (groan) and i've had cloned out the overhead lines .
    I'm also sure a man of your experiance noticed all this .
    Lots of potential in this shot , just feel it needs finding a bit more .

B..

Comment

Originally posted by bigbob View Post
      Well Stephen you know i hardly comment , but as i'm up early
      I feel it needs a focal point , too much empty tarmac in the foreground , the manhole cover grates (groan) and i've had cloned out the overhead lines .
      I'm also sure a man of your experiance noticed all this .
      Lots of potential in this shot , just feel it needs finding a bit more .

B..
      Thanks Bob, I hear what you say about these things. I find myself defending the picture in my own mind though. Firstly, why do people get so uptight about powerlines. It seems to be a standard thing to say you should clone them out. I think that there are times though when they add to the charm of an area. This is good ol' northern country and they are simply part of the landscape, indeed they can be used to good effect sometimes. In this shot I love the light on the one going down the hill. The ones going over the road lead the eye to the pub sign. Now there is a proper old pub sign, with the original Tetleys huntsman, you don't see it very often these days.

Your point about the empty tarmac and no focal point, can also be defended. To me the siver/blue strip that is the road leads the eye to the house down the hill which becomes the focal point, the manhole cover does not bother me in the least, it could be cloned but why? Its part of the scene and the nature of the place. I'd hate this place to be a sanitised perfect representation of a northern village.

I'm happy to hear others thoughts on my thinking as appose to Bobs though, I could easily have a biased view on the picture
      Stephen

sigpic

Check out my BLOG too

Comment

Hi Stephen, you probably are aware that I don't normally comment very often but here are my thoughts on this image.

I am falling between two stalls on this one. The image has a nostalgic feel and the light is very pleasant doing a grand job of highlighting that damp northern weather. I don't have a problem with the manhole covers (didn't notice them until Bigbob pointed them out). However, that one big (relatively speaking) black power line dominates and I find my attention being constantly drawn out of image towards it. The fainter ones are within keeping and provide some balance.

jo - Northern lass moved Saaf

Comment

I think this is OK and I can see what you like about the shot, but I'm with Bob in that I don't think there is enough to latch on to. Also - a pet hate of mine - is hazy distant areas. Haze 99% of the time just drains a picture and it distracts me too much.

Ian
          Last edited by Ian; 05-12-07, 12:51 AM.
          Founder/editor
          Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
          Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
          Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
          Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Comment

Well I'm gratified that two people who say they don't comment much have been inspired enough and found it within themselves to make some considered comment on the picture. So thanks again for that, I appreciate it. I have a few others taken at the time and I'll see if there is one that has something more for you to latch onto ; I ain't going to start cloning powerlines though
            Stephen

sigpic

Check out my BLOG too

Comment

I think its a nice image, but not spectacular.

Unlike Ian, I actually like a hazy background, as I think it gives the image depth.

I too dont like the power lines, the reason is they just detract from an otherwise pleasent scene. I think the ones running down the street are fine, but the ones in the forground spoil it.

This scene reminds me of the place where 'Doc Martin' was filmed........even if it is at the wrong end of the country!
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
                Well I'm gratified that two people who say they don't comment much have been inspired enough and found it within themselves to make some considered comment on the picture. So thanks again for that, I appreciate it. I have a few others taken at the time and I'll see if there is one that has something more for you to latch onto ; I ain't going to start cloning powerlines though

Hi Stephen
                I am very much with Bob on this one, the light is super, but how much of it have you actually used? very little in my opinion.

If you were simply recording as you put it the un-sanitised representation of a northern village, the beautiful light is arguably irrelevant but if you are capturing the light then there isnít enough of it in the picture, with over 50% in shadow, which IMO doesnít add anything to the picture as a whole.
                The Tetley sign is not lit to be a feature of any consequence, so what do we the viewers have to look at? Answer the cottage with the beautiful light. So here is a cropped version what do you and others think? Ideally the picture taken further up the hill would have given a better view of the cottage.

Patrick
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick View Post
                  Hi Stephen
                  I am very much with Bob on this one, the light is super, but how much of it have you actually used? very little in my opinion.

If you were simply recording as you put it the un-sanitised representation of a northern village, the beautiful light is arguably irrelevant but if you are capturing the light then there isnít enough of it in the picture, with over 50% in shadow, which IMO doesnít add anything to the picture as a whole.
                  The Tetley sign is not lit to be a feature of any consequence, so what do we the viewers have to look at? Answer the cottage with the beautiful light. So here is a cropped version what do you and others think? Ideally the picture taken further up the hill would have given a better view of the cottage.

Patrick
                  Fair enough Patrick, you make reasonable arguments though I don't altogether agree with your point about using more of the light. I do actually have one not unlike your crop, and I suppose its a measure of my personal preferences that I didn't choose to use that in the first instance. I must have 20 shots taken looking in this general direction, some have vehicles or people in and somehow I felt they detracted from the image to a greater or lesser extent. I was somehow attracted by the dark sombre looking stone buildings and the light in the distance esp on those cottages. Anyway thanks for your input, it all helps.
                  Stephen

sigpic

Check out my BLOG too

Comment

I agree, I don't get this sanitizing of images. Its like the cloud is in the wrong position type comments in my opinion. The image is charming as is.
                    Guy McLaren
                    http://www.guymclaren.co.za
                    Pity about the cheap glass.

Comment

Originally posted by guymclaren View Post
                      I agree, I don't get this sanitizing of images. Its like the cloud is in the wrong position type comments in my opinion. The image is charming as is.
                      I see nothing wrong in sanitizing an image, particularly when they are ugly modern additions. Old Northern English Villages (Southern for that matter) with horrible yellow no parking lines, telephone cables, road signs all added as time has passed, in the name of progress.
                      Now if we are trying to show how ugly all this is then thats fine leave em in, in fact photograph them at their very worst, but if we want to show the beauty remove em or try and avoid photographing the intrusion.

Patrick

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick View Post
                        I see nothing wrong in sanitizing an image, particularly when they are ugly modern additions. Old Northern English Villages (Southern for that matter) with horrible yellow no parking lines, telephone cables, road signs all added as time has passed, in the name of progress.
                        Now if we are trying to show how ugly all this is then thats fine leave em in, in fact photograph them at their very worst, but if we want to show the beauty remove em or try and avoid photographing the intrusion.

Patrick
                        I'd agree with you in general Patrick, street furniture etc can be an eye sore. Fortunately I didn't have these problems with this shoot. I simply made a conscious decision to leave the cables though. People seem programmed into thinking they should always be cloned out. Maybe sometimes, but not always
                        Stephen

sigpic

Check out my BLOG too

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
                          I'd agree with you in general Patrick, street furniture etc can be an eye sore. Fortunately I didn't have these problems with this shoot. I simply made a conscious decision to leave the cables though. People seem programmed into thinking they should always be cloned out. Maybe sometimes, but not always
                          Much depends on what the photographer wants of the picture, and when its an experianced photographer what he/she wants us the viewer to see.
                          The photographer is in charge and its his/her image talking to use and making a statement, but of course the viewer can agree/disagree and even like/dislike.
                          Dead boring if we all agreed.

That applies to all artistic mediums.

I have a sneaking suspicion Stephen you sometimes put up images you know will spark some controversy, and not necessarily an image you are yourself pleased with.
                          I include a few in my club talk to get a reaction.

Patrick

Comment

The empty early morning feeling is all here in my opinion and having the lovely, after a heavy shower type light, is an added bonus and that damp tarmac is great too. There are lots of shadows, but the light is where it's needed most imo as it invites the eye further down the street.
                            The manhole and wires do no damage at all here and if anything they compliment the atmosphere, but what ruins it for me are the two modernish lamp standards particularily the nearest one.

Comment

Stephen. I like the atmosphere created in your photo, however, I immediately wanted to see what was over the horizon of hill/tarmac....what lies beyond...just before the cottages...rather than the great expanse of uninteresting tarmac, manhole to boot! In my opinion it epitomizes a number if Northern towns! (I prefer the South West!) I do like the light...what there is of it! The foreground powerlines are a bit too 'in ya face', the others are fine! The red of the pub sign pulled my eyes up & out of the pic a bit, but I like the touch!
                              Jocelyn

Comment

Working...
                              X