Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Morning Light

Originally posted by Patrick View Post
    I see nothing wrong in sanitizing an image, particularly when they are ugly modern additions. Old Northern English Villages (Southern for that matter) with horrible yellow no parking lines, telephone cables, road signs all added as time has passed, in the name of progress.
    Now if we are trying to show how ugly all this is then thats fine leave em in, in fact photograph them at their very worst, but if we want to show the beauty remove em or try and avoid photographing the intrusion.

Patrick
    So here I am a tourist to your part of the world and I expect to see whats in the brochure (that has been sanitized) I get there and all my expectations are dashed. Now I know "British/American/African" tour brochures are a lie.

Can you trust that the photographer is not lying to you when he presents his image of your dream destination? Is the dream just a fantasy? I have seen pictures taken in my area that have been so well sanitized I don't recognise the attraction.

IMO this is like a tour operator telling you that your hotel room has a seaview "but you can only see it standing on a chair in the South East corner of the bathroom"
    Guy McLaren
    http://www.guymclaren.co.za
    Pity about the cheap glass.

Comment

Hi to All

I'm amazed that a photograph can achieve such discussion.

My first look at the picture - it displays a N Yorks/Lancs village - and from travelling in that area recently it does exactly what it says on the tin.

It's amazing how once someone has mentioned something in a photograph it becomes noticeable.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers
      Dave R
      Cheers
      Dave R

Comment

Much depends on what the photographer wants of the picture, and when its an experianced photographer what he/she wants us the viewer to see.
        The photographer is in charge and its his/her image talking to use and making a statement, but of course the viewer can agree/disagree and even like/dislike.
        I'd go along with all that Patrick, and I certainly don't expect everyone to like what I show or have the same opinions. I find it useful to hear what others think though and I appreciate any constructive critique, even though I sometimes think to myself "they just don't geddit do they"

I have a sneaking suspicion Stephen you sometimes put up images you know will spark some controversy, and not necessarily an image you are yourself pleased with.
        Oh I think your suspicions are absolutely spot on I am really gratified too when something I have put up inspires some reaction from members to the extent they feel comfortable expressing their opinions, which has happened here.

I'm also quite keen to show images of places that have a bit of genuine character and grit. With great respect to yourself and others here who do the same, I'm not a great one for going to country parks, museums and folk museums to get my photographs, though I'll admit I have done. These places do tend to be sanitised and give a perfect view of a bygone age or of a man made landscape.
        Stephen

sigpic

Check out my BLOG too

Comment

I see the house nestled in the curve of the road, caught in the light, under what is quite a busy sky, as the focus of the scene. My eye is taken with the sheen on the tarmac (above the grid), then to the house and on to the fields beyond. As has been said, so typical of the northern landscape. The colours of 'morning' giving that 'just waking up' feeling and make me feel that I can breathe.

I know it it there, and obviously a house or street name, but the small sign half way up the right hand side annoys me and pulls my eye more than the very obvious cables which don't bother me.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom View Post
            The empty early morning feeling is all here in my opinion and having the lovely, after a heavy shower type light, is an added bonus and that damp tarmac is great too. There are lots of shadows, but the light is where it's needed most imo as it invites the eye further down the street.
            The manhole and wires do no damage at all here and if anything they compliment the atmosphere, but what ruins it for me are the two modernish lamp standards particularily the nearest one.
            We are in general agreement then Tom, even the lamposts don't bother me. I think you would enjoy shooting in this part of the world
            Stephen

sigpic

Check out my BLOG too

Comment

Originally posted by Blithe View Post
              I see the house nestled in the curve of the road, caught in the light, under what is quite a busy sky, as the focus of the scene. My eye is taken with the sheen on the tarmac (above the grid), then to the house and on to the fields beyond. As has been said, so typical of the northern landscape. The colours of 'morning' giving that 'just waking up' feeling and make me feel that I can breathe.

I know it it there, and obviously a house or street name, but the small sign half way up the right hand side annoys me and pulls my eye more than the very obvious cables which don't bother me.
              Great stuff Blithe, you see these things with the same eyes as me, well almost I would never clone out a street sign such as this though. They are part of the very fabric of the place, part of the history.
              Stephen

sigpic

Check out my BLOG too

Comment

Originally posted by mib2 View Post
                Hi to All

I'm amazed that a photograph can achieve such discussion.

My first look at the picture - it displays a N Yorks/Lancs village - and from travelling in that area recently it does exactly what it says on the tin.

It's amazing how once someone has mentioned something in a photograph it becomes noticeable.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers
                Dave R
                Thanks for your comment Dave. It sometimes amazes me too. I do try to offer food for thought though
                Stephen

sigpic

Check out my BLOG too

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
                  I'm also quite keen to show images of places that have a bit of genuine character and grit. With great respect to yourself and others here who do the same, I'm not a great one for going to country parks, museums and folk museums to get my photographs, though I'll admit I have done. These places do tend to be sanitised and give a perfect view of a bygone age or of a man made landscape.
                  I think you are lucky enough to live where you do Stephen.

Sadly, where I live, its a case of having to travel some distance to find places like this!

I could take some pictures of Bracknell, but I fear you would hate what you see......in fact......I may just do that to demonstrate exactly what I mean
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by guymclaren View Post
                    So here I am a tourist to your part of the world and I expect to see whats in the brochure (that has been sanitized) I get there and all my expectations are dashed. Now I know "British/American/African" tour brochures are a lie.

Can you trust that the photographer is not lying to you when he presents his image of your dream destination? Is the dream just a fantasy? I have seen pictures taken in my area that have been so well sanitized I don't recognise the attraction.

IMO this is like a tour operator telling you that your hotel room has a seaview "but you can only see it standing on a chair in the South East corner of the bathroom"
                    Holiday brochures and tourism pics are one thing, but landscape photography in the context of art is quite another. While I share Stephen's views on this shot (I was there at the time this was taken), I also feel that the photographer has the freedom to alter his or her images as he or she sees fit.

It has nothing to do with any kind of misrepresentation, it's simply a case of portraying precisely what you want (or don't want) the viewer to see.

Comment

With great respect to yourself and others here who do the same, I'm not a great one for going to country parks, museums and folk museums to get my photographs, though I'll admit I have done. These places do tend to be sanitised and give a perfect view of a bygone age or of a man made landscape.
                      This is largely true, but no so with the Black Country Museum, they are genuine buildings re-sited within the museum grounds. There is the muck and dirt of the age, also the claustrophobic feel of the back to back terraced houses. Brought back memories of one I lived in as a child for a short time in Oldham before it was demolished.
                      The rebuilt pubs toilets certainly have got the AIR of the age.

I want to go back on a fogy day, that should be interesting.

Patrick

Comment

We are in general agreement then Tom, even the lamposts don't bother me. I think you would enjoy shooting in this part of the world
                        I daresay I would Stephen but I would be a bit worried about bumping into Bearface while crossing the border

Comment

I daresay I would Stephen but I would be a bit worried about bumping into Bearface while crossing the border
                          No need to worry Tom, I'm not a border guard.

Comment

This is largely true, but no so with the Black Country Museum, they are genuine buildings re-sited within the museum grounds. There is the muck and dirt of the age, also the claustrophobic feel of the back to back terraced houses. Brought back memories of one I lived in as a child for a short time in Oldham before it was demolished.
                            The rebuilt pubs toilets certainly have got the AIR of the age.

I want to go back on a fogy day, that should be interesting.

Patrick
                            I'd probably fancy that myself
                            Stephen

sigpic

Check out my BLOG too

Comment

You'd be welcome to come with us anytime Tom
                              Stephen

sigpic

Check out my BLOG too

Comment

This type of image is always high risk, with a fine line between what works and what doesn't, between success and failure. The light is absolutely crucial; taken an hour later (or even less) this picture would have been dead on arrival. But the atmosphere lent to the picture by that wonderful light makes it work. You can almost hear the strains of Dvorak's Largo in the background and smell the fresh baked Hovis!

John
                                John Perriment

A photograph is more than a record of what you see - it's a window to your soul

Comment

Working...
                                X