X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Railway Viaduct

One of Brunells viaducts

Re: Railway Viaduct

Mike, its my opinion that the photo lacks some contrast, it just seems somewhat flat to me. I'd also try burning in the building on the right and perhaps some vignette to the corners to help lead the eye along the line.
    Attached Files
    Stephen

sigpic

Check out my BLOG too

Comment

I would just add that there is much more detail in the bottom portion of the picture when it is PS, so obviously some tonal range is lost in the browser
      Stephen

sigpic

Check out my BLOG too

Comment

Hope you had your HV Vest on!

You may notice there are four rails in the picture? Well the two outer ones are the running rails that the train wheels run on, the two in the middle of the track are there if the train comes off the rails, they act as a guide to stop it going over the edge!

Comment

Stephen I like what you did, but it is a little dark on my screen i can see you added depth to the picture, I probably need to be a little more aggresive with my PP

Comment

I hesitate to comment as I am not experienced as others, but for some reason, I feel that my eye is being swept out of the scene to the left rather than being taken on into the distance by the tracks. Perhaps it is the clarity of the railings nearest - I really don't know. However, I do like the b/w sky and the trees like lacework against it.

Have just looked at Stephen's edit and seeing the photograph in its entirety makes a difference - the central point is more drawing, though overall quite dark on my screen.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Parr View Post
              Stephen I like what you did, but it is a little dark on my screen i can see you added depth to the picture, I probably need to be a little more aggresive with my PP
              Hi Mike, I think you picture is easy to like despite some technical improvement potential highlighted by others

If your view of Stephen's edit is dark on your monitor, it could be that your monitor needs recalibrating - in theory both of you should be seeing the same and I know Stephen regularly calibrates his monitor.

Ian
              Founder/editor
              Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
              Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
              Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
              Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Comment

Originally posted by Ian View Post
                Hi Mike, I think you picture is easy to like despite some technical improvement potential highlighted by others

If your view of Stephen's edit is dark on your monitor, it could be that your monitor needs recalibrating - in theory both of you should be seeing the same and I know Stephen regularly calibrates his monitor.

Ian
                Actually mine has just started showing the nag screen, I need to update the profile. However I did say that my version looks darker in the browser than it does in Photoshop.
                Stephen

sigpic

Check out my BLOG too

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
                  Actually mine has just started showing the nag screen, I need to update the profile. However I did say that my version looks darker in the browser than it does in Photoshop.
                  I can't see any density difference between the two in Photoshop and IE, but the browser version has a slightly warmer tone.

Ian
                  Founder/editor
                  Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
                  Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
                  Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
                  Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Comment

Originally posted by Ian View Post
                    I can't see any density difference between the two in Photoshop and IE, but the browser version has a slightly warmer tone.

Ian
                    I'm using Firefox on the Mac and I can see a definite difference in the density of the blacks in Photoshop. There appears to be less tonal range in the image on the browser. I'll check Safari, which is the Mac default browser.

After comparing I'd say the image is slightly warmer in Safari, but the blacks are the same density as Firefox. ie darker than Photoshop
                    Stephen

sigpic

Check out my BLOG too

Comment

I'm using Firefox on the Mac and I can see a definite difference in the density of the blacks in Photoshop. There appears to be less tonal range in the image on the browser. I'll check Safari, which is the Mac default browser.

After comparing I'd say the image is slightly warmer in Safari, but the blacks are the same density as Firefox. ie darker than Photoshop
                      Was just wondering if the file might be Adobe 1998 rather than sRGB......as this sometimes affects how images appear on the Web as opposed to in Photoshop. The Adobe 1998 files often seem to lose punch and saturation when posted on the Internet.

Comment

Originally posted by Bearface View Post
                        Was just wondering if the file might be Adobe 1998 rather than sRGB......as this sometimes affects how images appear on the Web as opposed to in Photoshop. The Adobe 1998 files often seem to lose punch and saturation when posted on the Internet.
                        Mmmm, well when I checked it was neither Adobe 1998 or sRGB, but Dot Gain 10%. Anyway have converted it to sRGB to see if it makes any difference
                        Attached Files
                        Stephen

sigpic

Check out my BLOG too

Comment

Mmmm, well when I checked it was neither Adobe 1998 or sRGB, but Dot Gain 10%. Anyway have converted it to sRGB to see if it makes any difference
                          Unbelievable it is lighter, not a lot, but a significant amount
                          Stephen

sigpic

Check out my BLOG too

Comment

Unbelievable it is lighter, not a lot, but a significant amount
                            It's always summat simple

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback when I can get on my big pc i will have to check out my settings

Comment

Working...
                              X