Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Woods

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
    Pol I knew I could rely on you to see past a woodland scene spoilt by some blur. I really do appreciate your thoughts on this. I'll admit its a sort of work in progress and that at the moment I think the blur is a little heavy and can be improved on.

When I walk through these woods which are fairly local to me, I always am amazed by these beech trees and they way they seem to reach up like pillars to the sky, but when I photograph them, I've done it many times before, I'm always left disappointed. Now this treatment seems to help in creating the feeling and emotion of the woods. I certainly don't see it in the same way as Ben does, though we often don't agree when it comes to artistic interpretation

Sorry about the size thing Ron, I know what you mean but I don't feel disposed to sacrifice the impact that size brings, even though some may have to scroll a little
    your not wrong.......I am sure it is just me, I know I am definately lacking in the 'imagination' department Stephen!

As for the scrolling...Ron....have you tried hitting f11? this can sometimes help on images that fall outside the limitations of the browser. I think on an image like this, it is important to see it as a whole.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by coupekid View Post
      your not wrong.......I am sure it is just me, I know I am definately lacking in the 'imagination' department Stephen!

As for the scrolling...Ron....have you tried hitting f11? this can sometimes help on images that fall outside the limitations of the browser. I think on an image like this, it is important to see it as a whole.
      Ben I'm Fn11 most of the time on this site. Still have to scroll and I hate that as much as you hate thumbnails. I know Stephen only wants to show his image off to its best and for those that have a big screen that's fine. I down loaded his picture, rotated it then lay down on my bed to view it.

Comment

I think you've been eating the mushrooms you found there!

Comment

I think there are some strange vibes emanating from the discussion on this image
          Stephen you can also rely on me and others on this forum to offer honest opinions and see past what you describe as a woodland scene spoilt by some blur. That is a good description. The transition or graduation of the blur I feel lacks subtlety after starting out nicely and I feel the whole process would have benefited more from a gradual misty/soft focus rather than the "light rugby tackle" (for the want of a better expression) applied here. I just feel you are treating the wrong image.
          I don't see real life here (maybe after a session of mind altering substances perhaps). I don't see it as a chalenging image; they are few and far between but when they do appear I'll have questions to which I don't want answers to and I will luxuriate in the knowledge that it is there for me to return to over and over again.
          Bearface says "People need to increase their photographic horizons and broaden their tastes, and to achieve that we all need to think beyond the mundane and predictable" . This is just not thinking outside the box.
          Because someone does not like an image does not mean they sit on the loo admiring their own holiday snaps .

Comment

Originally posted by Tom View Post
            I think there are some strange vibes emanating from the discussion on this image
            Stephen you can also rely on me and others on this forum to offer honest opinions and see past what you describe as a woodland scene spoilt by some blur. That is a good description. The transition or graduation of the blur I feel lacks subtlety after starting out nicely and I feel the whole process would have benefited more from a gradual misty/soft focus rather than the "light rugby tackle" (for the want of a better expression) applied here. I just feel you are treating the wrong image.
            I don't see real life here (maybe after a session of mind altering substances perhaps). I don't see it as a chalenging image; they are few and far between but when they do appear I'll have questions to which I don't want answers to and I will luxuriate in the knowledge that it is there for me to return to over and over again.
            Bearface says "People need to increase their photographic horizons and broaden their tastes, and to achieve that we all need to think beyond the mundane and predictable" . This is just not thinking outside the box.
            Because someone does not like an image does not mean they sit on the loo admiring their own holiday snaps .
            Tom, I said what I thought about the image and I respect your right to say what you think, but in future I'd prefer it if you offered your opinion without attempting to dissect or discredit my own.

Obviously I either inadvertently hit a raw nerve, or you just decided you didn't like what I was saying, but frankly my feedback was for Stephen and not for you to approve or disapprove of. It matters not one iota whether you agree with my thoughts, but dismissing each point as though you're some kind of authority figure on these things is not on.

If someone struggles with a style such as this, it certainly does not mean that they er...."sit on the loo admiring holiday snaps...", but at the same time they could possibly benefit from opening their minds and broadening their horizons, because not all photography is about predictability and convention. I mean, if Stephen had intended to post a simple woodland shot, he'd have done so, would he not..?

If you'd read my post carefully, you'd have noticed that I didn't claim to like the image....I just expressed my interest in the idea and the way it provoked the imagination...

Comment

It disturbs me , there's something about the blur which makes me feel uneasy .
              When i scroll up and look at just the bottom half it's just a fairly mundane woodland scene , when i scroll down and look at the blur ,it's an abstact which i like but combined i feel uneasy .
              Nothing wrong with experimenting with different effects ,i just feel this is'nt the right topic maybe this effect could be put to better use on another scene .
              Saying all this i feel it's only right that experiments take place , especially with digital , but this one is'nt for me .

B..

Comment

I presented this image as a serious point of discussion, I intended and certainly expected it to be controversial. I wouldn't expect everyone to like it. The picture was simply work in progress. I sense though, rightly or wrongly, that Tom thinks I'm being patronising and pretentious in what I have done and presented. I can assure I was not. I admit that the blur in this is too heavy I've overdone it, and the technique of getting the graduation more subtle is something I need to work on.

I really do appreciate peoples comments though, so long as they are considered and constructive, which it has to be said I feel Toms are. If people can see something that they like in it thats gratifying I feel, but other comments are taken on board and help me decide how I need to modify things.

When I get some more time I will post a Mk2 version As for the type of pic for the technique, the tree trunks are ideal and are exactly what I wanted to work with
                Stephen

sigpic

Check out my BLOG too

Comment

Steven ,
                  Here is my say on the whole thing. First I like the way the trees reach for the heavens.I like the picture as a whole. As for what everyone else thinks, well we all have opinions and if they were all the same there would be no need for the forums or a section called critique! I am sure you yourself already know this I just felt the need to say it!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bearface View Post
                    Tom, I said what I thought about the image and I respect your right to say what you think, but in future I'd prefer it if you offered your opinion without attempting to dissect or discredit my own.

Obviously I either inadvertently hit a raw nerve, or you just decided you didn't like what I was saying, but frankly my feedback was for Stephen and not for you to approve or disapprove of. It matters not one iota whether you agree with my thoughts, but dismissing each point as though you're some kind of authority figure on these things is not on.

If someone struggles with a style such as this, it certainly does not mean that they er...."sit on the loo admiring holiday snaps...", but at the same time they could possibly benefit from opening their minds and broadening their horizons, because not all photography is about predictability and convention. I mean, if Stephen had intended to post a simple woodland shot, he'd have done so, would he not..?

If you'd read my post carefully, you'd have noticed that I didn't claim to like the image....I just expressed my interest in the idea and the way it provoked the imagination...

Hi Bearface.
                    I made no reference whatsoever to your opinion on the image but, in my final paragraph I did refer to, and quoted, your final tactless comment. The "sitting on the loo phrase" did not refer to Stephens efforts with the image but to the quoted part of your posting which I would not even consider dissecting.

Comment

I presented this image as a serious point of discussion, I intended and certainly expected it to be controversial. I wouldn't expect everyone to like it. The picture was simply work in progress. I sense though, rightly or wrongly, that Tom thinks I'm being patronising and pretentious in what I have done and presented. I can assure I was not. I admit that the blur in this is too heavy I've overdone it, and the technique of getting the graduation more subtle is something I need to work on.

I really do appreciate peoples comments though, so long as they are considered and constructive, which it has to be said I feel Toms are. If people can see something that they like in it thats gratifying I feel, but other comments are taken on board and help me decide how I need to modify things.

When I get some more time I will post a Mk2 version As for the type of pic for the technique, the tree trunks are ideal and are exactly what I wanted to work with
                      I assure you Stephen that I do not consider your work on, and your decision to post this image to be patronising and prententious in any way and I apologise now if that is what has come accross to you.
                      Interestingly, knowing your landscape style and your opinions on over manipulation etc, I must be honest and say that the first thing that came to mind was "now how could Stepehen like that" or "what is he at" even. You obviously see it in your minds eye what you want here and I for one would have preferred to have waited to see what you considered to be the final result so to speak. Sort of like, though not entirely, Patricks posting when you said that seeing the original ruined the final image for you. You spoke for me also when you made that comment.
                      I thrust and hope that you eventually get exactly the image that is trying to break out here.

Comment

Hi Bearface.
                        I made no reference whatsoever to your opinion on the image but, in my final paragraph I did refer to, and quoted, your final tactless comment. The "sitting on the loo phrase" did not refer to Stephens efforts with the image but to the quoted part of your posting which I would not even consider dissecting.
                        Why was my personal opinion tactless, exactly? Do you have a problem with people expressing a personal and entirely non-offensive point of view? I explained my wording (not that I needed to justify myself to you...) in my last post and still you sit there and accuse me of tactlessness. Get off your high horse Tom...

Let's just look at your post, just to make sure I wasn't imagining things:

Really? Who was this aimed at then?

What a load of condescending bilge. I referred to the image as visually challenging. I talked about how to me it could represent all types of metaphors for life and your response directly dismissed those perfectly valid points of view, and in a pompous and smug manner, too. You are welcome to "luxuriate" in any perceived "knowledge" you wish to, but my opinion was not yours to dismiss or criticize.

Because someone does not like an image does not mean they sit on the loo admiring their own holiday snaps
                        And you decided (clearly in your position as judge and jury of other people's intentions...) that this was "tactless"? Get over yourself Tom, and in future stick to your own opinions, instead of misinterpreting and sniping at other people's. Oh and when it comes to my own views, I'll decide what thinking out of the box is, not you.

While we're on the subject of tactlessness, perhaps you ought to consider the reasons why Stephen and I - almost simultaneously - found the need to question the tone of your post.

Comment

Why was my personal opinion tactless, exactly? Do you have a problem with people expressing a personal and entirely non-offensive point of view? I explained my wording (not that I needed to justify myself to you...) in my last post and still you sit there and accuse me of tactlessness. Get off your high horse Tom...

What a load of condescending bilge. I referred to the image as visually challenging. I talked about how to me it could represent all types of metaphors for life and your response directly dismissed those perfectly valid points of view, and in a pompous and smug manner, too. You are welcome to "luxuriate" in any perceived "knowledge" you wish to, but my opinion was not yours to dismiss or criticize.

And you decided (clearly in your position as judge and jury of other people's intentions...) that this was "tactless"? Get over yourself Tom, and in future stick to your own opinions, instead of misinterpreting and sniping at other people's. Oh and when it comes to my own views, I'll decide what thinking out of the box is, not you.

While we're on the subject of tactlessness, perhaps you ought to consider the reasons why Stephen and I - almost simultaneously - found the need to question the tone of your post.

Here we go again....
                          sigpic

Comment

The above words don't talk; they shout. Did someone mention a raw nerve?
                            I may disagree but I don't dismiss.

I have already said what I wish to say on this and another longwinded posting here would only tend to facilitate entry to the area you are obviously very comfortable in; personal.
                            I retreat and raise the white flag .

Comment

The above words don't talk; they shout. Did someone mention a raw nerve?
                              I may disagree but I don't dismiss.

I have already said what I wish to say on this and another longwinded posting here would only tend to facilitate entry to the area you are obviously very comfortable in; personal.
                              I retreat and raise the white flag .
                              Very good, Tom. Just one tiny detail you missed...

...it was you who - in your infinite wisdom - decided to highlight my views in your post in an attempt to judge them as tactless. You also criticised my personal opinions quite openly, and in a pompous, dismissive manner, despite them being directed at nobody but the OP.

You can continue to interpret my words in your, er....unique way, in addition to hilariously suggesting that I'm getting personal when it's quite clear where this exchange started.........but a real adult would simply acknowledge their mistake (and you did make a mistake!) and apologise. Not you though, eh Tom..?

Comment

Oh dear! I think some of the reaction on this thread is getting out of hand.

I don't see that Tom feels you're being patronising, Stephen. I also think Tom misunderstands Tim's point of view. Sure Tim and Tom (has a nice ring about it ) have got off on the wrong foot, but I think both are missing the point. Both have the right to have opinions and to share those opinions here - it's what making critique interesting after all. But I don't think anyone is in the least bit interested about any personal differences levelled at each other, so I would respectfully request that these differences be aired privately. There is no point in having debates like these if people can't tolerate each others' views, even if they disagree with them.

Ian
                                Founder/editor
                                Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
                                Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
                                Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
                                Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Comment

Working...
                                X