Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Woods

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The Woods

    Comments and opinions sought


    Stephen

    sigpic

    Check out my BLOG too



  • #2
    Re: The Woods

    Hmm! Honestly not sure about this one. I really like the lower half of the picture - the regimented trunks thrusting through the carpet of leaves is very interesting and the foreground clearing draws you into the picture. Just not sure about the "special effect" - it certainly gives the image quite a spooky "sci -fi" element. Controversial, but I guess that's what you intended.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: The Woods

      Originally posted by grangie View Post
      Hmm! Honestly not sure about this one. I really like the lower half of the picture - the regimented trunks thrusting through the carpet of leaves is very interesting and the foreground clearing draws you into the picture. Just not sure about the "special effect" - it certainly gives the image quite a spooky "sci -fi" element. Controversial, but I guess that's what you intended.
      Yes indeed, I kinda know what I want, but not sure how to achieve it fully yet, so this is the Mk1 version and I'm still experimenting with the technique. Thanks for the comments so far though
      Stephen

      sigpic

      Check out my BLOG too


      Comment


      • #4
        Re: The Woods

        'Oh!! ...............I like the dappled light on the carpet of Autumn leaves!
        Jocelyn

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: The Woods

          I love it.

          Fabulous picture with such wonderful lighting, colours and that special effect with the trees 'reaching for the sky'.

          Pol

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: The Woods

            Can't imagine what you really have in mind.
            I like the bottom third of the shot very much with the shadows and sunlight on the leaves. I also find that the avenue through the tree's is like a magnet for the eyes, then...when I scroll up again I am confused. It's like the photograph is a mixture of reality and fantasy.
            -------------------------

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: The Woods

              Originally posted by Pol View Post
              I love it.

              Fabulous picture with such wonderful lighting, colours and that special effect with the trees 'reaching for the sky'.

              Pol
              Oh hell, I'll just have to get myself a portrait monitor. 800 x 550 only fits landscape. 550 x 800 (thought the max was 700) goes through the roof. I like what I can see of it though.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: The Woods

                First impression - 'Why did he spoil a lovely photograph?' - then I looked closer and longer. The light cast on the leafy floor and the tree trunks, and the great sense of depth pushing into the distance, is heightened by the dark trees on either side. The much lighter top right corner becomes a little too abstract for me and just too bright. Covering the top quarter of the photograph makes it altogether darker but still leaves the 'stretched' tree tops. I really like the colours blending at the level of the skyline.

                Have to say it grows on me the more I look at it.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: The Woods

                  Originally posted by Pops View Post
                  Can't imagine what you really have in mind.
                  I like the bottom third of the shot very much with the shadows and sunlight on the leaves. I also find that the avenue through the tree's is like a magnet for the eyes, then...when I scroll up again I am confused. It's like the photograph is a mixture of reality and fantasy.

                  What it represents to me is what what is actually happening as I walk through those woods.

                  There's sunlight and shadows, crunching leaves beneath my feet as I walk along. I'm either looking down or straight ahead - looking at the parts of the scene that are in sharper focus, glancing from one area to the other just as we do when we're walking.

                  The canopy of the trees is reaching up higher above me and I'm aware of it but not focusing on it becuse me eyes are elsewhere - so it isn't in focus visually, same as it wouldn't be in RL unless I was looking at it specifically (then I might trip over because the ground wouldn't be in focus so I wouldn't be looking where I was going).

                  The trees are perpetually growing, stretching up and reaching for the sky, reaching for the light. That's a continuous thing, continuous growth and stretching at the top whilst the roots are firm and strong in the ground.

                  So I see real life in the picture. Ongoing growth and movement with most of that movement happening in the tops of the trees - exactly as it really is.

                  Pol

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: The Woods

                    Originally posted by Pol View Post
                    What it represents to me is what what is actually happening as I walk through those woods.

                    There's sunlight and shadows, crunching leaves beneath my feet as I walk along. I'm either looking down or straight ahead - looking at the parts of the scene that are in sharper focus, glancing from one area to the other just as we do when we're walking.

                    The canopy of the trees is reaching up higher above me and I'm aware of it but not focusing on it becuse me eyes are elsewhere - so it isn't in focus visually, same as it wouldn't be in RL unless I was looking at it specifically (then I might trip over because the ground wouldn't be in focus so I wouldn't be looking where I was going).

                    The trees are perpetually growing, stretching up and reaching for the sky, reaching for the light. That's a continuous thing, continuous growth and stretching at the top whilst the roots are firm and strong in the ground.

                    So I see real life in the picture. Ongoing growth and movement with most of that movement happening in the tops of the trees - exactly as it really is.

                    Pol
                    This sort of treatment to a landscape and other subjects pops up now and then in the photo club scene, and is usually received very well. So it didn't surprise me as it appears to have done to most of the people that have posted comments.
                    I think years ago (film days) Cokin did a filter that had this effect, they may very well still offer it.

                    Patrick

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: The Woods

                      I'm all for this kind of experimentation and I certainly like the effect, though don't expect everyone to.

                      Ian
                      Founder/editor
                      Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
                      Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
                      Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
                      Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: The Woods

                        Hi Stephen,

                        Thought I would my 2p.

                        For me the image doesnt work, It looks like you had a super Autumnal image, but the treatment it has been given spoils it a little.

                        I can understand what some of the others have said about the trees growing and reaching for the sunlight. But to me, a place like this is a place of serenty and peace, a place to relax from the hustle and bustle of everyday life.

                        Your blurred image relays just what I dont want, its almost portraying violent growth.

                        Whats your thoughts on how it has turned out?
                        sigpic

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: The Woods

                          Stephen,
                          this is my kind of photo, i think it's brilliant.

                          Ken

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: The Woods

                            Originally posted by Pol View Post
                            What it represents to me is what what is actually happening as I walk through those woods.

                            There's sunlight and shadows, crunching leaves beneath my feet as I walk along. I'm either looking down or straight ahead - looking at the parts of the scene that are in sharper focus, glancing from one area to the other just as we do when we're walking.

                            The canopy of the trees is reaching up higher above me and I'm aware of it but not focusing on it becuse me eyes are elsewhere - so it isn't in focus visually, same as it wouldn't be in RL unless I was looking at it specifically (then I might trip over because the ground wouldn't be in focus so I wouldn't be looking where I was going).

                            The trees are perpetually growing, stretching up and reaching for the sky, reaching for the light. That's a continuous thing, continuous growth and stretching at the top whilst the roots are firm and strong in the ground.

                            So I see real life in the picture. Ongoing growth and movement with most of that movement happening in the tops of the trees - exactly as it really is.

                            Pol
                            Pol I knew I could rely on you to see past a woodland scene spoilt by some blur. I really do appreciate your thoughts on this. I'll admit its a sort of work in progress and that at the moment I think the blur is a little heavy and can be improved on.

                            When I walk through these woods which are fairly local to me, I always am amazed by these beech trees and they way they seem to reach up like pillars to the sky, but when I photograph them, I've done it many times before, I'm always left disappointed. Now this treatment seems to help in creating the feeling and emotion of the woods. I certainly don't see it in the same way as Ben does, though we often don't agree when it comes to artistic interpretation

                            Sorry about the size thing Ron, I know what you mean but I don't feel disposed to sacrifice the impact that size brings, even though some may have to scroll a little
                            Stephen

                            sigpic

                            Check out my BLOG too


                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: The Woods

                              Ehyup...

                              As an image it's visually challenging and unconventional, but it's also something of a photographic paradox, because you have what is normally perceived as a serene and calming landscape morphing itself into this blur of madness, disarray and confusion. For this reason I think it's a picture to study and consider, rather than one which will appeal to those looking for a "quick-fix", predictable photograph.

                              Do I like it? Well it forces me outside my comfort zone and encourages me to reflect on possible interpretations (which themselves may cancel out any peaceful or positive messages the lower section of the image might convey), so for that reason alone it's an interesting image. Aesthetically it's hard work, but I nevertheless feel that with some development this theme could produce something very strong indeed.

                              Good on you for pushing the envelope a bit. People need to increase their photographic horizons and broaden their tastes, and to achieve that we all need to think beyond the mundane and predictable. Just my thoughts

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X