• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Danny Chau
    replied
    Re: Fish in pond

Originally posted by Jocelyn Walker View Post
    Hi Danny.
    My comment on extremes was not meant as a criticism but as an observation! Taken in context ie relative to the fish study in your current 'dark period' & those pics of buildings & scenery in what was obviously your 'light period' is similar to black & white! I enjoy the fact that you interpret & indeed capture in your photography, your state of mind or being! Our differences in our minds, attitudes & views are what makes us unique, human! Through sharing of opinions & ideas, we learn & therefore grow! I appreciate your philosophical mind & work & thank you for sharing.
    Hi Jocelyn,

I totally agree with what you have said, perfectly put, thank you.

Danny

Leave a comment:

• Jocelyn Walker
    replied

Hi Danny.
    My comment on extremes was not meant as a criticism but as an observation! Taken in context ie relative to the fish study in your current 'dark period' & those pics of buildings & scenery in what was obviously your 'light period' is similar to black & white! I enjoy the fact that you interpret & indeed capture in your photography, your state of mind or being! Our differences in our minds, attitudes & views are what makes us unique, human! Through sharing of opinions & ideas, we learn & therefore grow! I appreciate your philosophical mind & work & thank you for sharing.

Leave a comment:

• Danny Chau
    replied

Hi George,

Sorry to see you and Ian's differences, I can see Ian early comment was light and half jokingly, but I also realised that some people may take it the wrong way. Be honest, the enthusiasm you and many DPNow veteran shown have given me plenty of courage to post pictures on the Photo critique, you are one of a few that I have a lot of respect for. For me, being a amateur all my life, I have always only shoot for my own amusement, I have rarely taken parts with any group or clubs, and only now with DPNow, it was all the input you, Ian and other veteran that have brought me here, and I'm sure I am not the only one. And would be sad to see such a happy family split, so please reconsider your decision.

Danny

Leave a comment:

• Danny Chau
    replied

Originally posted by Jocelyn Walker View Post
    Danny, you seem to be a person that likes extremes if this is anything to go by ie in relation to your...'dark period'!
    Hi Jocelyn,

I don't think that's the kind of extreme I looking for, I think we all need to lighten up a little, no one is perfect, and no one knows all. That is why I am keen to learn from everyone, cos there is so much to learn in life.

We all have to accept the world in it's extremes in order to see why the world is the world it is today, without extremes this physical world would not exist. All the more we should learn to appreciate our differences and each other, just like I love the different view from different minds on the same image/subject, to me that is the spice of life.

I would rather to be the observer, than to be the 'Fish in the Pond'

Danny

Leave a comment:

• Archangel
    replied

Originally posted by Ian View Post
    Not only were you wrong in your original post, which prompted me to point out why Danny's set up was correct, but your defence of your mistake is wrong too.
    Ian

Ian,

I see photos on DPNow everyday. Some of them according to my opinion when posted on the Critique section, they need some minor adjustments.
    Most of the users commenting on the same adjustments with me, meaning the photos appear somehow (obviously with very slight differencies from monitor to monitor) similar into most of our monitors.

Danny's last 2 photos in the critique section appear dark, with the hues slightly off. So I wrote:

The photo is indeed really nice, but again the colors and contrast don't seem right, like in the "Contrast - Rich and the Poor" thread.
    I have the impression that your monitor needs some type of calibration as the only photos that don't look right in my monitor are yours only.

Tell me now, from where on my statement I do leave any underestimating hints about Danny's abilities, knowledge, and expertise in photography or in his profession, when I do not know Danny in personal, never met him either and know nothing about his CV. He can confirm that to you if he wishes.
    So I can not leave any hints underestimating him when I know nothing about Danny.
    Besides that I wrote "I have the impression...."
    I have the impression, means I'm not sure and I make a hypothetical assumption. People are accused based on proofs and not on hypothesis or assumptions and my statement was an assumption and not a proof.

I don't know what makes you so sure that someone else's monitor is in peak condition, just because his profession is related to that.
    Anyway, I think the explanation has been given by Danny when he said that he is going through a "Dark period"

So, I think the mistake is from your side that you tried to defend someone that I didn't accuse in the first place anyway.

As far as my photographic equipment is concerned maybe you can do a better cost estimation than me of the total cost of my camera collection that counts 87 pieces.

As to how I do calibrate my monitors the answer is:
    My monitors at home I calibrate them with Monitor Calibration Wizard software and then fine tune them next to a reference monitor at work that has been calibrated by an external contractor using ColorEyes Display Pro.

I will give it a try one more time Ian, trying to continue on DPNow and see how things generally turn out for me in the future.

George

Leave a comment:

• Jocelyn Walker
    replied

Danny, you seem to be a person that likes extremes if this is anything to go by ie in relation to your...'dark period'!

Leave a comment:

• Ian
    replied

Originally posted by Archangel View Post
    Ian,

Nowhere in my previous post exist any statements underestimating Danny's profession, abilities or equipment.
    Not only were you wrong in your original post, which prompted me to point out why Danny's set up was correct, but your defence of your mistake is wrong too.

You clearly implied that Danny's equipment wasn't calibrated correctly - you said:

The photo is indeed really nice, but again the colors and contrast don't seem right, like in the "Contrast - Rich and the Poor" thread.
    I have the impression that your monitor needs some type of calibration as the only photos that don't look right in my monitor are yours only.
    It's very clear.

I just wrote what I see on my monitor and for photos posted on the Critique Section and in comparison to other users' photos being displayed on my monitor all this time.
    That's perfectly fine no problem there - you are entitled to explain your point of view, but I simply wanted you to know that Danny keeps his equipment meticulously calibrated, which I feel I did thoroughly and politely and I'm genuinely interested to know how you keep your monitor calibrated.

So, I find your statement, irrelevant to what I posted earlier in Danny's last couple of photos posted on the Critique Section, ironic in terms of my photographic equipment and my knowledge of using and maintaining computers as hobby or as my main profession.

As you can understand, I'm not willing to respond polite into ironic provocative messages in the future, if I finally decide to stay in DPNow, after both our wishes are aligned.
    Actually, I don't understand. This bit of your post has completely puzzled me.

But George, what I do know is that the DPNow forum is richer for your presence here - we all enjoy your photography. However, you are very sensitive to criticism when others disagree with you. In this case, you are clearly wrong. That's OK - we all make mistakes, but it would be nice once in a while for you to accept justified criticism and say - yes, OK, I got that wrong.

All this talk of "deciding to stay in DPNow" is extremely unhelpful. As you know I have tried extremely hard to help explain things when others have misunderstand what you have said on the forum, both in public and privately.

But I feel just as obliged to correct people, including you, that make incorrect statements on the forum. I do it all the time to all sorts of people. And people correct me when I get it wrong and I'm happy to say - sorry - you are right, I got it wrong. Here is a recent example:

http://dpnow.com/forum2/showthread.php?p=15122

If my policy is unacceptable to you, well, I can only say sorry, but I try to be as fair and honest as possible. You are welcome here, but don't expect not to be challenged about something that is incorrect and of course feel free to challenge me when I am clearly wrong.

If it is unacceptable, then maybe you are right in questioning whether or not to continue posting here - I would be disappointed if you decided that, but in the end, it's your choice.

Ian

Leave a comment:

• Archangel
    replied

George, Danny knows more about colour management than anyone else I know. He never economises on his equipment. His monitor alone probably costs more than all of your photo equipment put together. His colour calibration equipment costs over $2,000. He is a highly-rated professional photo printer and colour management consultant and works for many of The UK's top professional exhibition photographers and has been hired by one of the UK's national newspapers to help them colour manage their systems. He's also been hired to train personnel at Epson UK. Need I say more?

If anyone's monitor isn't calibrated properly, it isn't Danny's. How do you maintain your monitor out of interest?

Ian

Ian

Ian,

Nowhere in my previous post exist any statements underestimating Danny's profession, abilities or equipment.
    I just wrote what I see on my monitor and for photos posted on the Critique Section and in comparison to other users' photos being displayed on my monitor all this time.

So, I find your statement, irrelevant to what I posted earlier in Danny's last couple of photos posted on the Critique Section, ironic in terms of my photographic equipment and my knowledge of using and maintaining computers as hobby or as my main profession.

As you can understand, I'm not willing to respond polite into ironic provocative messages in the future, if I finally decide to stay in DPNow, after both our wishes are aligned.

George

Leave a comment:

• Archangel
    replied

Originally posted by guymclaren View Post
    George I would suggest calibration mate, The last ones looked fairly good to me and these ones a little washed out so I would suggest that its you monitor that needs calibration.

Danny asked me if the last set of photos look lighter on my monitor.
    He didn't ask me how I find them in general.
    So I replied in terms of what he asked me.
    So in terms of lighter, yes they look OK, lighter as he implied.

George

Leave a comment:

• guymclaren
    replied

George I would suggest calibration mate, The last ones looked fairly good to me and these ones a little washed out so I would suggest that its you monitor that needs calibration.

Leave a comment:

• guymclaren
    replied

Danny having attempted these shots in the past and failing miserably I am in awe.

Leave a comment:

• Tinka
    replied

That's a superb shot, Danny. There is a purpose to the movement and alignment of the koi carp and the lighting is very nice, though some of the lighter coloured fish appear to be bleached out.

That would look really nice on the wall!

Ian
    I have to agree a lovely dark and moody image, Ian you could certainly get a good feed out of one of those, not like your minnows

Leave a comment:

• Archangel
    replied

Originally posted by Danny Chau View Post
    Hi George,

Thanks for you comment, I use an Eizo FlexScan S2110W monitor, my last calibration was using a GretagMacbeth EyeOne Photo, the profile is only about a month old. As I said earlier on, I am in my 'dark mood' at present, I am going 'off colour'.

It is a pity, I just lost my 1TB Maxtor this morning, otherwise I would have pull up the originals for you to see (have to wait till Monday now to look for a data recovery service), some of my latest shoots are not backed up.

This is the third time in the last 5 years, which made me constantly aware that we do have hard drive failure to keep me on my toes.

Here are some examples from last year where I was in my 'light mood'.

Do they look lighter on your monitor? Please let me know.

Danny

Danny,

Sorry to hear about the data loss on your Maxtor.
    I lost too a 160GB Samsung disk at once in the past. Never worked again neither could I try to recover anything out of it.

These photos look OK, and much more close to reality than the "dark mood" posted in the earlier threads.

George

Leave a comment:

• Danny Chau
    replied

Hi Ian,

Thank you for kind words, may I say that I am still a beginner and a keen amateur at heart, I get up every morning and hope that I can learn more and discover something new each day. And I would like to share and learn from everyone on this forum, so please, treat me as an equal, no more and no less, because what I do know is so insignificant in this big wide world, I am sure you all agree.

to all

Danny

Leave a comment:

• Ian
    replied

Danny,

George
    George, Danny knows more about colour management than anyone else I know. He never economises on his equipment. His monitor alone probably costs more than all of your photo equipment put together. His colour calibration equipment costs over $2,000. He is a highly-rated professional photo printer and colour management consultant and works for many of The UK's top professional exhibition photographers and has been hired by one of the UK's national newspapers to help them colour manage their systems. He's also been hired to train personnel at Epson UK. Need I say more?

If anyone's monitor isn't calibrated properly, it isn't Danny's. How do you maintain your monitor out of interest?

Ian

Ian

Leave a comment:

Working...
X