Fish in pond

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fish in pond

Took this photo on a morning tea trip in Hong Kong, people like to visit remote villages for breakfast, something is completely new to me. Shot on an Epson RD1 with 28mm Voigtlander lens, cropped slightly top and bottom to get a panoramic feel, welcome any comments.

Danny

Re: Fish in pond

Originally posted by Danny Chau View Post

Took this photo on a morning tea trip in Hong Kong, people like to visit remote villages for breakfast, something is completely new to me. Shot on an Epson RD1 with 28mm Voigtlander lens, cropped slightly top and bottom to get a panoramic feel, welcome any comments.

Danny
    Lovely shot, my mate would like this one Danny! he is a HUGE fan of Koi Carp. (we spent a couple of days recently digging his new pod for it......to full skip loads of earth we dug by hand!!)

the only negative I can see is on this un-calibrated monitor, it looks very dark, which is a shame for such brightly coloured fish.
    sigpic

Comment

Danny
      That's a superb shot, Danny. There is a purpose to the movement and alignment of the koi carp and the lighting is very nice, though some of the lighter coloured fish appear to be bleached out.

That would look really nice on the wall!

Ian
      Founder/editor
      Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
      Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
      Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
      Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Comment

Thanks for you lovely comment, I don't think is your screen, is that I'm going through a 'dark' period of late, I kind of run away from bright colours. :-)

Danny

Comment

I like this photograph very much, my only quibble is that I cannot view it in its entirety because of my small screen. The darkness adds to it for me, I especially like the right hand side where there are fewer fish, it has a feeling of depth, seeing the fish deeper in the water. Then following the direction of the fish over to what looks like a feeding frenzy and those bubbles. Perhaps wrong to compare, but the darkness, red and golds make me think of oil paints.

Comment

Originally posted by Blithe View Post
            I like this photograph very much, my only quibble is that I cannot view it in its entirety because of my small screen. The darkness adds to it for me, I especially like the right hand side where there are fewer fish, it has a feeling of depth, seeing the fish deeper in the water. Then following the direction of the fish over to what looks like a feeding frenzy and those bubbles. Perhaps wrong to compare, but the darkness, red and golds make me think of oil paints.
            Here is a smaller view in Danny's gallery:

http://dpnow.com/galleries/showphoto.../500/ppuser/34

Ian
            Founder/editor

Comment

Really nice shot.

Comment

They seem to have higher carp density than ours.

yoshi
                Attached Files

Comment

Danny,

The photo is indeed really nice, but again the colors and contrast don't seem right, like in the "Contrast - Rich and the Poor" thread.
                  I have the impression that your monitor needs some type of calibration as the only photos that don't look right in my monitor are yours only.

George

Comment

Hi George,

Thanks for you comment, I use an Eizo FlexScan S2110W monitor, my last calibration was using a GretagMacbeth EyeOne Photo, the profile is only about a month old. As I said earlier on, I am in my 'dark mood' at present, I am going 'off colour'.

It is a pity, I just lost my 1TB Maxtor this morning, otherwise I would have pull up the originals for you to see (have to wait till Monday now to look for a data recovery service), some of my latest shoots are not backed up.

This is the third time in the last 5 years, which made me constantly aware that we do have hard drive failure to keep me on my toes.

Here are some examples from last year where I was in my 'light mood'.

Do they look lighter on your monitor? Please let me know.

Danny

Comment

Originally posted by Archangel View Post
                      Danny,

The photo is indeed really nice, but again the colors and contrast don't seem right, like in the "Contrast - Rich and the Poor" thread.
                      I have the impression that your monitor needs some type of calibration as the only photos that don't look right in my monitor are yours only.

George
                      George, Danny knows more about colour management than anyone else I know. He never economises on his equipment. His monitor alone probably costs more than all of your photo equipment put together. His colour calibration equipment costs over $2,000. He is a highly-rated professional photo printer and colour management consultant and works for many of The UK's top professional exhibition photographers and has been hired by one of the UK's national newspapers to help them colour manage their systems. He's also been hired to train personnel at Epson UK. Need I say more?

If anyone's monitor isn't calibrated properly, it isn't Danny's. How do you maintain your monitor out of interest?

Ian

Ian
                      Founder/editor

Comment

Hi Ian,

Thank you for kind words, may I say that I am still a beginner and a keen amateur at heart, I get up every morning and hope that I can learn more and discover something new each day. And I would like to share and learn from everyone on this forum, so please, treat me as an equal, no more and no less, because what I do know is so insignificant in this big wide world, I am sure you all agree.

*chr to all

Danny

Comment

Hi George,

Thanks for you comment, I use an Eizo FlexScan S2110W monitor, my last calibration was using a GretagMacbeth EyeOne Photo, the profile is only about a month old. As I said earlier on, I am in my 'dark mood' at present, I am going 'off colour'.

It is a pity, I just lost my 1TB Maxtor this morning, otherwise I would have pull up the originals for you to see (have to wait till Monday now to look for a data recovery service), some of my latest shoots are not backed up.

This is the third time in the last 5 years, which made me constantly aware that we do have hard drive failure to keep me on my toes.

Here are some examples from last year where I was in my 'light mood'.

Do they look lighter on your monitor? Please let me know.

Danny

Danny,

Sorry to hear about the data loss on your Maxtor.
                          I lost too a 160GB Samsung disk at once in the past. Never worked again neither could I try to recover anything out of it.

These photos look OK, and much more close to reality than the "dark mood" posted in the earlier threads.

George

Comment

Originally posted by Ian View Post
                            That's a superb shot, Danny. There is a purpose to the movement and alignment of the koi carp and the lighting is very nice, though some of the lighter coloured fish appear to be bleached out.

That would look really nice on the wall!

Ian
                            I have to agree a lovely dark and moody image, Ian you could certainly get a good feed out of one of those, not like your minnows
                            Catch Ya Later
                            Tinka

Comment

Danny having attempted these shots in the past and failing miserably I am in awe.
                              Guy McLaren
                              http://www.guymclaren.co.za
                              Pity about the cheap glass.

Comment

Working...
                              X