2 long(ish) exposures with water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 long(ish) exposures with water

Not quite long exposure, still above 1 second. But only just. This was due to the horrible restrictions on my compact, and this was as low as I could go without hidious overexposure. I would put these images into two different threads, but the theme is simular. Please give me critique on these images, and techniques to help increase the quality of them (taking into consideration I have a terrible manual mode on my camera)

The Great Divide Information & Image
    Camera: Sony Cybershot DSC-P200
    Focal Length: 8mm
    Aperture: F/5.6
    Shutter Speed: 1/6 sec.
    ISO: 100
    Converted to B&W on Adobe Photoshop.

Cold Sparks Information & Image
    Focal Length: 15mm
    Aperture: F/8
    Shutter Speed: 1/5 sec.
    Converted to B&W in Adobe Photoshop.

Thanks,
    NiM.
    Last edited by Matt Kneale; 02-05-07, 04:58 PM. Reason: Bold!

Re: 2 long(ish) exposures with water

Originally posted by Matt Kneale View Post
    Not quite long exposure, still above 1 second. But only just. This was due to the horrible restrictions on my compact, and this was as low as I could go without hidious overexposure. I would put these images into two different threads, but the theme is simular. Please give me critique on these images, and techniques to help increase the quality of them (taking into consideration I have a terrible manual mode on my camera)

The Great Divide Information & Image
    Focal Length: 8mm
    Aperture: F/5.6
    Shutter Speed: 1/6 sec.
    Converted to B&W on Adobe Photoshop.

Cold Sparks Information & Image
    Focal Length: 15mm
    Aperture: F/8
    Shutter Speed: 1/5 sec.
    Converted to B&W in Adobe Photoshop.

Thanks,
    NiM.
    Hey Matt - these are really nice. They both have interesting qualities. On the first I see form, depth and power in the right hand side and lightness and chaos on left hand side.

On the second, there are interesting and delicate details.

I think these are excellent results from a compact point and shoot camera - well done!

Ian t-up
    Founder/editor
    Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
    Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
    Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Comment

Thanks a lot Ian, means a lot

Comment

Well I reckon they are great mate, (especially on a compact)

are you also able to change the apperture?

If you are, you could narrow the apperture (that is have a higher F-Value, maybe F16 if your camera allows) and increase the exposure time) however, as they stand, I think they are superb!
        sigpic

Comment

Thanks man Well my camera is partly manual, party automatic. My aperture is decided by how much I zoom in, and I can then choose between two apertures it gives me (usually F/5.6 and F/10) and when zoomed out I can nuse F/2.6 and F/5.6 The only way I can get longer exposures is by waiting longer in the evening for it to darken!

Matt

Comment

I'm not always particularly fond of slow exposures of water - what Tom refers to as "milky water". However I like these two shots.

I'm fascinated by the way the lines and flow of the water are reminiscent of long hair floating and being 'swished' about in the water ....... and few stray 'hairs' escaped and can be seen flying free in the second one, below and to the left of the rock.

I reckon the b/w conversion helps to enhance that 'hair in the water effect' too. t-up

Pol

Comment

I like the first one in particular. The turbulance of the water as it battles it's way over the rock and that very effective curvy little wall is perfectly recorded.
              Last edited by Tom; 03-05-07, 02:13 PM.

Comment

Matt, I thought both shots were great, given that your camera restricts you as you say! I however preferred the 1st, mainly due to the composition. I found bothe aesthetically pleasing! Well done.
                Jocelyn

Comment

Thank you all for your kind words of advice and opinions

Comment

Two Superb images, they prove that top flight equipment is not needed to take great photographs, it is the photographers skill and vision that the equipment may aid or not. first class mono treatment.
                    I like both images, but the first is a very powerful image and just pips the second.
                    Catch Ya Later
                    Tinka

Comment

Like both these shots the 2nd more so. re trying to slow the shutter speed down .Maybe you can try putting a neutral density filter over the lens to try and block some of the light. if you can't get one to fit try holding it over the lens.
                      My PhotoBlog

Comment

Hi Matt,

I think these work much better than the "Holding on" image (which I came to first). I like them both but for me the first one just shades it, possibly due to the vertical divide between the two contrasting textures. (Almost directly down the middle, the exception that proves the rule of thirds?).

Vernon

Comment

Working...
                        X