Micky mouse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Micky mouse

In the industrial revolution Birmingham made the worlds best and greatest chains so this Micky mouse one was a shock to me

My PhotoBlog

Re: Micky mouse

It's a bit cheeky of me to offer criticism, Andrew, as I haven't had the nerve to put up any of my shots, yet, but for what it's worth, why do we love these shots of rusty iron? My slide magazines are full of them and I can't pass a link of chain or an anchor (or an old water tank for that matter!) without trying to turn it into a pic.
    The background in your shot is perfect, what is it? I can't think where a mooring hoop would be with that background.
    I like the colours in the metal, some of the pics I've seen appear to be over corrected and a bit artificial. Maybe OK if you go "all the way" and produce something off the wall, but otherwise the natural colour is to my taste.
    I can't figure out where the point of maximum sharpness is, I have a new monitor on order so it might be me, but I think you could have done with a tad more DOF.
    Good shot!

Comment

Originally posted by Jim View Post
      why do we love these shots of rusty iron? My slide magazines are full of them and I can't pass a link of chain or an anchor (or an old water tank for that matter!) without trying to turn it into a pic.

Good shot!
      I couldn't agree more Jim. I also feel the same about graveyards.
      Audrey

https://www.flickr.com/photos/autumn36/

Comment

ha ha!

Superb Andrew, love it.

Cant really offer any critique other that love it for both the comedy value, and those textures. I wonder what this would be like in mono?
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jim View Post
          I can't figure out where the point of maximum sharpness is, I have a new monitor on order so it might be me, but I think you could have done with a tad more DOF.
          Good shot!
          Yea your right, in hindsight i should have gone down a few stops on the aperture. The background are trees, the chain is on a large swing-type frame at the Blackcountry museum in the old mine part of the museum.

Coupekid
          I'm away over easter but will do a BW for you next week
          My PhotoBlog

Comment

I can't add anything constructive to what has already been said, except to say that for me the great thing about this sort of photo is the ability to SEE the image in the first place.

I think you have done well to SEE this image Andrew, the technical stuff is secondary

I'm not sure why but it sort of reminds me of a picture I once took which I thought looked like a line of wellington boots
            Attached Files
            Stephen

sigpic

Check out my BLOG too

Comment

Nothing Mickey Mouse about this version of Mickey Mouse Andrew. Vry well seen and brilliantly recorded.

Comment

Originally posted by coupekid View Post
                I wonder what this would be like in mono?
                Here you go

My PhotoBlog

Comment

If I'm honest I prefer the colour version. However what this version does well is concentrate the eye more on the chain links, as there is no distracting colour etc in the background.

I'm guessing you used LR to convert this, did you alter the colour sliders at all to get this result?
                  Stephen

sigpic

Check out my BLOG too

Comment

I honestly feel that this conversion looses most of what is good in the colour version. Particularily the metallic feel of it all, the colour contrasts and the ageing and wear and tare of it all. It could even be plastic hoops now.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post

I'm guessing you used LR to convert this, did you alter the colour sliders at all to get this result?
                      Yea i was sliding them all over the place I like the colour one better too.
                      My PhotoBlog

Comment

Originally posted by Tom View Post
                        I honestly feel that this conversion looses most of what is good in the colour version. Particularily the metallic feel of it all, the colour contrasts and the ageing and wear and tare of it all. It could even be plastic hoops now.
                        yep thats what i think too. Some of the reasons i did not post it B&W to start with.
                        My PhotoBlog

Comment

Hi Andrew,
                          A superb image that unusually for this type of subjectloses something in conversion to mono, the color of the rust and the texture of the metal together with the composition come together perfectly to create the image, the absence of just one element "ie: Color" destroys the image, well seen and photographed.
                          Catch Ya Later
                          Tinka

Comment

Working...
                          X