Fuji S5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuji S5

I have sold my D2X (too heavy and cumbersome) and replaced it with a D200 and a Fuji S5.
    This is one of the first images with the Fuji.
    I used a Nikkor 80-400mm VR at full stretch, the pigeon was about 50 feet away.
    This is about a 20% crop of the full image.
    I believe the colours are better than either the D2X or the D200.

bill
    Attached Files

Re: Fuji S5

The Fuji has had a good review in this and last weeks BJP.

Comment

I always felt that the early fuji S series lacked a bit in build quality bill, how do you feel the latest S5 compares in this respect with the Nikons
      Stephen

sigpic

Check out my BLOG too

Comment

Sorry bill, just realised you posted this in critique, and I've mentioned nothing of the picture. Well in terms of quality of image I can't fault it. The tones, detail and sharpness are spot on. As for the aesthetics of the image, that bird looks like a real bruiser btw, its unfortunate there are so many twigs in the tree that distract from the bird and make it all a bit busy
        Stephen

sigpic

Check out my BLOG too

Comment

Hi Bill good to hear from you again .
          I bought the D2X to compliment my Fuji S3 , and i've now upgraded to the Newer S5 as well , i know what you mean about the size of the D2X but i've got large hands and i find it just about right , especially with the larger 2.8 lenses i've got .
          The S5 is a wonderful high ISO camera , took mine for a spin around Greenwich yesterday and the DR on a sunny day is better than the Nikon (IMHO).
          So many newer menu options on the Dynamic range and film simulation modes that i've got to play around and find which will be better for given situations .
          Your pic looks a bit soft , i suppose it's a large crop , but you'll love this camera once you've mastered it .

B..
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
            I always felt that the early fuji S series lacked a bit in build quality bill, how do you feel the latest S5 compares in this respect with the Nikons
            It actually uses the Nikon D200 body and every button and dial are in the same place doing the same things (almost).
            A definite bonus when you have a D200 as well.

bill

Comment

The Fuji does look a good camera after reading about it in Digital Camera Mag, be good to see some other shots taken with it as the pigeon shot looks rushed the branches are blurred and in the way, they tend to catch the eye plus there does not seem to be a point to focus in the picture and I find my eye wondering.
              May prove better to get closer to the subject, that way you could place it in the frame better and save having to crop right down.

A good idea would be to take a shot get closer, take another get closer still and so on, that way if you don't get right up then at least you have a shot, but if you manage to get in nice and close you can ditch the previous shots and keep the best.

Good luck
              *chr

Comment

Originally posted by Goatsmilkuk View Post
                The Fuji does look a good camera after reading about it in Digital Camera Mag, be good to see some other shots taken with it as the pigeon shot looks rushed the branches are blurred and in the way, they tend to catch the eye plus there does not seem to be a point to focus in the picture and I find my eye wondering.
                May prove better to get closer to the subject, that way you could place it in the frame better and save having to crop right down.

A good idea would be to take a shot get closer, take another get closer still and so on, that way if you don't get right up then at least you have a shot, but if you manage to get in nice and close you can ditch the previous shots and keep the best.

Good luck
                Slight probems regarding getting closer.
                1. The bird would fly off.
                2. There are two fences and someone else's garden in the way.
                The branches are blurred as there's little depth of field, a consequence of long focal length and wide apertures, the subject (the pigeon) is in focus, as was desired.

bill

Comment

Originally posted by bill jarvis View Post
                  Slight probems regarding getting closer.
                  1. The bird would fly off.
                  2. There are two fences and someone else's garden in the way.
                  The branches are blurred as there's little depth of field, a consequence of long focal length and wide apertures, the subject (the pigeon) is in focus, as was desired.

bill
                  That's why it's a good idea to take a shot each time you get closer, ok may not be an option if your snapping across neighbours fences, but if you get out there with the camera you will find the advice helpful.
                  I'm not saying that the branches should not be blurred what I am saying is that the shot would be better if they were not there, such as taken from another angle, getting a better view point of the subject or a similar subject in another tree with a clear view and unobstructed path. It really depends on what you want to achieve, but as the photo has been put in the photo critique forum I thought you were looking for comments to help improve your photography?
                  It's a shame if you took my comments in the wrong way as I was only trying to help you improve that's all.
                  *chr

Comment

That's why it's a good idea to take a shot each time you get closer, ok may not be an option if your snapping across neighbours fences, but if you get out there with the camera you will find the advice helpful.
                    I'm not saying that the branches should not be blurred what I am saying is that the shot would be better if they were not there, such as taken from another angle, getting a better view point of the subject or a similar subject in another tree with a clear view and unobstructed path. It really depends on what you want to achieve, but as the photo has been put in the photo critique forum I thought you were looking for comments to help improve your photography?
                    It's a shame if you took my comments in the wrong way as I was only trying to help you improve that's all.
                    Thanks for your advice, I have been taking photographs for over 40 years and was well aware of the advantages of getting closer to the subject in this instance. As I've explained, it wasn't an option.

bill

Comment

Oh! dear, Bill has been around for some time, on another forum and his pics are impressive you are trying to teach an old dog new tricks as Bill says he has been taking pics for a very long time perhaps pics of his daughter on her horse that have been posted on another forum and are impressive.

willscarlet

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
                        Stephen, the Nikon D200 is a semi-pro spec body and very solidly constructed; a far cry from the previous S3 and S2 Pro bodies from Fuji and from what I have seen, the S5 is exactly the same construction as the D200. However, I understand that the S5 does not share the 5fps continuous shooting of the D200 and it's basically a 6MP sensor, so resolution might be a weakness?

I should be getting one soon to try.

Ian
                        Founder/editor
                        Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
                        Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
                        Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
                        Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Comment

Originally posted by Ian View Post
                          Stephen, the Nikon D200 is a semi-pro spec body and very solidly constructed; a far cry from the previous S3 and S2 Pro bodies from Fuji and from what I have seen, the S5 is exactly the same construction as the D200. However, I understand that the S5 does not share the 5fps continuous shooting of the D200 and it's basically a 6MP sensor, so resolution might be a weakness?

I should be getting one soon to try.

Ian
                          The S5 does use the D200 body.
                          The continuous shooting rate is only 2 fps and is extremely slow writing to the card, other than that, it seems as good or better than the D200 in almost every respect.
                          Resolution seems as good, if not better than the D200, colours almost certainly are, as are shadow detail and lack of high ISO noise.

bill

Comment

Originally posted by willscarlet View Post
                            Oh! dear, Bill has been around for some time, on another forum and his pics are impressive you are trying to teach an old dog new tricks as Bill says he has been taking pics for a very long time perhaps pics of his daughter on her horse that have been posted on another forum and are impressive.

willscarlet
                            Oh dear indeed. On a critique forum, nobody tries to teach anybody anything, Will. Regardless of how long anyone has been taking photographs, they post in a critique forum knowing that they'll receive feedback from a range of people, from newbies through to seasoned professionals.

Stu (Goatsmilkuk) made some perfectly valid observations, and followed through with some pertinent suggestions and so the feedback should've been courteously and gratefully received. If people don't want honest feedback from all contributors, then they should perhaps look at posting in our alternative forums where critique of the image is not the name of the game.

There are several "old dogs" here, but you'll find that they are always happy to listen to anyone and everyone when it comes down to receiving feedback and suggestions. Nobody is above criticism when it comes to photography and nobody needs to be an expert to offer it in the first place; after all, you don't need to be a pilot to understand what a poor landing feels like, do you..?

Comment

Originally posted by Bearface View Post
                              Oh dear indeed. On a critique forum, nobody tries to teach anybody anything, Will. Regardless of how long anyone has been taking photographs, they post in a critique forum knowing that they'll receive feedback from a range of people, from newbies through to seasoned professionals.

Stu (Goatsmilkuk) made some perfectly valid observations, and followed through with some pertinent suggestions and so the feedback should've been courteously and gratefully received. If people don't want honest feedback from all contributors, then they should perhaps look at posting in our alternative forums where critique of the image is not the name of the game.

There are several "old dogs" here, but you'll find that they are always happy to listen to anyone and everyone when it comes down to receiving feedback and suggestions. Nobody is above criticism when it comes to photography and nobody needs to be an expert to offer it in the first place; after all, you don't need to be a pilot to understand what a poor landing feels like, do you..?
                              Very good words and good on Goatsmilkuk.

Comment

Working...
                              X