Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Single Rose

Hi,
    This is another photograph of flowers from my wifes birthday boquet, this was inspired by the photograph of the Iris by our new friend Dianne. What do you think? There are three more versions in my gallerie, along with other flowers.
    Catch Ya Later
    Tinka

Re: A Single Rose

I like it, but may I ask is that effect used by a simple black card?

I like the uncluttered feel to it so that the rose and colour stand out.

often think when people and me, photo flowers we make it too fussy, where as flowers are beautiful enough to be able to be photo in this way
    Fp

Comment

Originally posted by fluffy penguin View Post
      I like it, but may I ask is that effect used by a simple black card?

I like the uncluttered feel to it so that the rose and colour stand out.

often think when people and me, photo flowers we make it too fussy, where as flowers are beautiful enough to be able to be photo in this way
      Hi FP,
      Thank you for looking and your comments,
      The rose was in fact photographed against a white background as I have no black card at the moment, The rose was then isolated and the background replaced and the image adjusted useing Potoshop 7.
      Catch Ya Later
      Tinka

Comment

I always find this a difficult subject to photograph well. You have certainly produced the goods with this one. Your photoshop skill has done you proud.

Comment

Thank you Lumix,
          For your most welcome support and encouragement.
          Catch Ya Later
          Tinka

Comment

Hi Tinka,

If you go close to the monitor and look the photo from up towards down, you will notice some dark shadows but not completely black as the rest of the background, left there after isolating the rose from the photo.
            You just can erase that with the paintbrush.

I think that the shadowed side needs to be lighten-up a little, if the original shot had some more light there but got lost due to post-processing.

But if the original shot was exactly like this one, due to how the light was falling on the rose, then don't touch it at all and leave it as it is, since dark shadows created by angle of light hitting an object is a natural phenomenon and should be viewed as is, apart of how pleasing is to the eye.

A photo doesn't capture only a theme but also atmosphere (light, hues, mood, e.t.c) and have repeated seen people everywhere, insisting in lighten up natural shadows while by doing such thing on a natural shadow captured by the camera as is that matches what the eye sees too, actually alters the feeling and mood of the original shot.

So light up that part, if and only if the original shot had more light there.

George

Comment

So light up that part, if and only if the original shot had more light there.

Thank you George,
              The image you see is the image that I envisaged, I could lighten the shadow area, but what you see is the original lighting enhanced by the black background blending etc: I tried a lighter shadow version but it looked mundane, and as you say it lost some of the mood and atmosphere. this image is the effect I was after.
              Catch Ya Later
              Tinka

Comment

Originally posted by Tinka View Post
                Thank you George,
                The image you see is the image that I envisaged, I could lighten the shadow area, but what you see is the original lighting enhanced by the black background blending etc: I tried a lighter shadow version but it looked mundane, and as you say it lost some of the mood and atmosphere. this image is the effect I was after.
                Since this was the original lighting then, my opinion is to not do anything further to it in terms of lighting up shadows. Only take off those shadows in the bottom part of the frame with a paintbrush that are visible when the eyes are positioned close to the top part of the monitor and looking down at approximately 45 degree angle.

George

Comment

Originally posted by Archangel View Post
                  A photo doesn't capture only a theme but also atmosphere (light, hues, mood, e.t.c) and have repeated seen people everywhere, insisting in lighten up natural shadows while by doing such thing on a natural shadow captured by the camera as is that matches what the eye sees too, actually alters the feeling and mood of the original shot.
                  George, I think I understand what you are saying, and if so would agree with much of it, however can you clarify the part in blue. Are you saying that the camera is capturing natural shadow as your eye would see it?

ps. forgot to mention Tinka, this image is 100% improvement on the previous one IMHO. I like it
                  Stephen

sigpic

Check out my BLOG too

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
                    George, I think I understand what you are saying, and if so would agree with much of it, however can you clarify the part in blue. Are you saying that the camera is capturing natural shadow as your eye would see it?

ps. forgot to mention Tinka, this image is 100% improvement on the previous one IMHO. I like it
                    I'm saying, or trying to say with my poor English syntax, that if a camera captures a shadow the same way the eyes see it (similar or more specific if it happens "What you see is what you get" approximately, because it is actually never identical) then there is no need to lighten up this shadow later in an image editor.

George

Comment

I'm saying, or trying to say with my poor English syntax, that if a camera captures a shadow the same way the eyes see it (similar or more specific if it happens "What you see is what you get" approximately, because it is actually never identical) then there is no need to lighten up this shadow later in an image editor.

George
                      Indeed, though of course there are times when the camera cannot capture what the eye sees due to such a range of light and shade. In these situations I don't have a problem with trying to lift shadows in order to get some shadow detail that the eye would have seen. Again its down to personal and creative interpretation of the image I suppose.

As for the English, I've said it before but I think you do amazingly well George We'll have you speaking English better than us Brits in no time
                      Stephen

sigpic

Check out my BLOG too

Comment

Indeed, though of course there are times when the camera cannot capture what the eye sees due to such a range of light and shade. In these situations I don't have a problem with trying to lift shadows in order to get some shadow detail that the eye would have seen. Again its down to personal and creative interpretation of the image I suppose.

As for the English, I've said it before but I think you do amazingly well George We'll have you speaking English better than us Brits in no time
                        I agree on that too. I mentioned somewhere before in the thread, that post processing is required when dark shadows or intense highlights occur due to camera's wrong metering or other cause sand the final result is not WYSIWYG, approximately
                        Then of course Photoshop/PaintShop or any other "Shop" comes into play and is of vital importance

Stephen, sometimes you guys talk like with some different dialect or not so formal English to each other (at least how I learned them in the school here) in the threads and I don't have a clue of what you are saying. I'm trying to read between the lines to get a conclusion approximation

George

Comment

Stephen, sometimes you guys talk like with some different dialect or not so formal English to each other (at least how I learned them in the school here) in the threads and I don't have a clue of what you are saying. I'm trying to read between the lines to get a conclusion approximation

George
                          Yes you are right George, and to be honest I am concious of it, but sometimes my humour is lost when I write it correctly. I'm sure its the same with you. I'm from West Yorkshire in Northern England, and though I don't speak with a strong dialect, I sometimes write as though I do. Pols the worst actually, you would not understand her at all when she gets going Apologies anyway
                          Stephen

sigpic

Check out my BLOG too

Comment

Yes you are right George, and to be honest I am concious of it, but sometimes my humour is lost when I write it correctly. I'm sure its the same with you. I'm from West Yorkshire in Northern England, and though I don't speak with a strong dialect, I sometimes write as though I do. Pols the worst actually, you would not understand her at all when she gets going Apologies anyway

Yes it is the same in all languages. No need to apologize
                            I had a roomate in Colchester. He was from London. I could hardly understand what he was saying when he was speaking and especially with his friends. One day I told him that it looks so strange that I don't understand him and he told me that he cannot understand sometimes even British people from different parts of UK!

Comment

I'm a sucker for roses and you have created a wonderful effect here.
                              -------------------------

Comment

Working...
                              X