The perennial question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The perennial question

Monochrome or colour? But this time, why do you NOT like the one?

Stephen

Just take it easy. There's always tomorrow. And if tomorrow doesn't come, you won't have wasted any effort on it.

My Flickr site

Re: The perennial question

Colour for me, not enough contrast in the B/W for me. Out of interest how did you process these? They almost look a little tonemapped to me.
    Being left handed my brain sometimes works sdrawkcab

All the best

Andy

E1,E5,E420,E-M5,OM1(N),14-54,12-60SWD,7-14mm,50-200,50mm F2.0 macro,25mm pancake,EC14,Sigma 50-500 HSM,m4/3 14-150,Om50mm(F1.,OM28mm(f2.,FL36,HLD4,HLD2,Epson P3000,crap tripod,Manfrotto 680B monopod,various filters/CF cards.

My Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by andym View Post
      Colour for me, not enough contrast in the B/W for me. Out of interest how did you process these? They almost look a little tonemapped to me.
      The colour is an OOC jpeg, with the Velvia setting, slight exposure increase and a digital ND grad.

The mono is a Silver FX Pro2 preset.

My take on the two is that the colour version has almost too much distraction, especially in the background, such as the vans on the quay. But I do like the colour.
      Stephen

Just take it easy. There's always tomorrow. And if tomorrow doesn't come, you won't have wasted any effort on it.

My Flickr site

Comment

I like the colour of the colour version but the image is to chocolate boxy for me so I prefer the mono version.
        Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it. Terry Pratchett.

Comment

The colour for me.
          I do think mono is best suited to architecture shots and some portraits.
          -------------------------

Comment

It's the b&w for me. It has an old print look to it. The colored one has too many colors for me.

Comment

The colour version has the problem that the red boat is behind the green and red is a very dominant colour. In B and W this effect is reduced as the green is dark and the red, lighter. However I don't much like the B&W treatment and it all seems rather fussy - did you use some sort of filter?

Do you mind if I post an alternative conversion for you to comment on?

Comment

Originally posted by mike_j View Post
                The colour version has the problem that the red boat is behind the green and red is a very dominant colour. In B and W this effect is reduced as the green is dark and the red, lighter. However I don't much like the B&W treatment and it all seems rather fussy - did you use some sort of filter?

Do you mind if I post an alternative conversion for you to comment on?
                No filters were harmed in the taking of this shot!

It was a straight conversion using one of the pre-sets in Silver FX Pro2.

Please, feel free to play with the images as you see fit. I would be very interested to see your workflow as well as the result.
                Stephen

My Flickr site

Comment

Silver Efex was what I meant by a filter, I used to be hooked on them but now generally go for simpler conversions

This has a darker main boat which concentrates attention in the centre of the picture and a slightly less edgy background. I prefer it but it's all in the eye of the beholder and on average 9 out of 10 photo judges disagree with me

Comment

You are quite right. Your conversion brings a focal point to the photo, which was missing. Would you care to outline, roughly, your process?
                    Stephen

My Flickr site

Comment

Almost embarrassingly simple I'm afraid.

Open in Photoshop CS5
                      Image>Adjustments>Channel Mixer

Select monochrome and play with sliders until desired result achieved

Screen clip of image and upload to forum.

This is the control panel but I didn't record the actual level settings.

Last edited by mike_j; 11-12-14, 05:35 PM.

Comment

You make it sound so easy. I hardly ever use PS but I'm sure I could do the same in Lightroom. Thanks for your help.
                        Stephen

My Flickr site

Comment

Originally I preferred the colour version, mainly because the B&W seemed to suffer from low contrast and lacked punch, but having seen Mike's B&W conversion I now prefer that.
                          John Perriment

A photograph is more than a record of what you see - it's a window to your soul

Comment

Yes, it's a far better conversion than mine. It gives a focal point to the scene.
                            Stephen

My Flickr site

Comment

I like the 2nd conversion. The foreground boat is now more focal and the whole image has lost its harshness and is more pleasing to the eye.
                              -------------------------

Comment

Working...
                              X