Aged Photo Effect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aged Photo Effect

Which effect the following photo reminds you mostly?

1. Photo aged effect or
    2. First half of the 19th century

Any additional comments on the effect that looks closer to you are welcomed of course.

Regards

George

Re: Aged Photo Effect

I really like the tones in the lower part of the photograph, but for me some of the lighter 'white' buildings above the dome seem to stand out too much. The building top left stands proud. Your treatment of the photograph has retained a lot of detail and is most interesting to rove over.

Comment

Hi Blithe,

Thanks for commenting.
      The bottom and top part of where sea and mountain are don't reflect the light so much and look somehow more balanced. The middle part where the houses are reflects more light as the sun hits them due to their light painted color.
      There are some strong sun reflections on the complete white houses. I left it like this without adjusting it, since it is the real situation when eye looked too.
      If I see that people generally are not comfortable with these strong highlights, then I will do some adjustments.
      Personally, I prefer blown highlights to be visible, regardless of how pleasing are to the eye, but only when these highlights are natural and not created by camera's or user's wrong metering.
      I post the color version too, if someone is willing to experiment with, even though I like to avoid that in order not to influence people of which is better or worse, since for the specific type of photos I'm planning to present them as treated effects photos.

Again, thanks for commenting.

Regards

George

Comment

George nether effect for me. The image is to sharp and full of detail to be ether. I don't recall any photos that have aged or taken that long ago that would show this level of sharpness. Apply a touch of blur and it may just fit the bill.

Comment

The very white buildings are not as obvious in the original colour photograph, which I have to say I find most appealing. All those windows, and you have kept the clarity. My eye moves out from the blue dome and finds something different each time.
          I'll leave it to others, more competent than I, to make any adjustments.

Comment

Originally posted by lumix View Post
            George nether effect for me. The image is to sharp and full of detail to be ether. I don't recall any photos that have aged or taken that long ago that would show this level of sharpness. Apply a touch of blur and it may just fit the bill.

Ron,

Thanks for commenting.
            I will make it softer and not only. I need to try a few different softening filters (ambience, dreamy, glamour, halo, radiant and romance) and then decide which one to keep or which combination of them. There are also some other things I have in mind to tune for the final version.
            This was the basic version to start with and then start tunning

Regards

George

Comment

I think you have an appealing photo here George. For us Brits especially it reminds us of Sunny holidays in the Meditteranean. The colours of the buildings clinging to the steep slopes are an attractive part of the scene, and as I said before about your Moonlight shot, I feel cheated by the toning treatment you have given it.

Whatever your motivation, with the project you are doing, I have to say that once again I feel you are choosing the wrong photos for the treatment you are giving them and the end result you are trying to achieve. Now if the project is all about applying filters to regular shots in order to achieve a different feel of time and age then perhaps I could accept it more.

Its my strong opinion that this particular image does not lend itself to the effect you seem to want to achieve ie. an aged photo typical of the first half of the 18th Century. I'm also guessing that apart from the sepia style toning a type of 'Diffuse Glow' filter has been applied which is if giving the 'blown highlight' effect. I personally like the 'Diffuse Glow' effect, but not particularly in this context. I prefer a more romantic context for its use.
              Stephen

sigpic

Check out my BLOG too

Comment

Originally posted by Blithe View Post
                The very white buildings are not as obvious in the original colour photograph, which I have to say I find most appealing. All those windows, and you have kept the clarity. My eye moves out from the blue dome and finds something different each time.
                I'll leave it to others, more competent than I, to make any adjustments.
                Blithe,

Not all people are photographers and not all people are very experienced photographers. But all people have taste and an opinion to say when they see something. So it is not a matter of how competent you are in terms of photography. It is a matter of what is your taste and judgement when you see something. And I'm really interested into all peoples opinions apart from their photographic skills and abilities.

A good photographer is (or becomes) the one that listens more the simple people, rather that his experienced colleagues. Why?
                I leave this puzzle for you to figure it out.
                As for me, I think you have something to say like all other people, that will be squezzed somewhere in some corner of my mind

Regards

George

Comment

George, I'm not sure if you have come across the Virtual Photographer Plugin from Optic Verve Labs

However if not I can strongly recommend you give it a try. Its free to download and will simply plugin to your regular imaging software. There are many effects and filters built into it, each one of which is infinately adjustable to suit your needs.

Essentially it takes the hard work out of doing it yourself It should be in every photographers toolkit
                  Stephen

sigpic

Check out my BLOG too

Comment

Old would look something like this.

Steve40.

Comment

Originally posted by Archangel View Post
                      Ron,

Thanks for commenting.
                      I will make it softer and not only. I need to try a few different softening filters (ambience, dreamy, glamour, halo, radiant and romance) and then decide which one to keep or which combination of them. There are also some other things I have in mind to tune for the final version.
                      This was the basic version to start with and then start tunning

You might like to have a look at the 'Filters Unlimited' software, if you don't have it already. It's not free, but it's not expensive either. The latest version is available from HERE and after you've installed it and paid for it you can add a free 'photo ageing kit' to the database.

I've just had a very quick play with your photo, using various filters from Filters Unlimited and added a few adjustments in CS2. Added a few 'scratches, dirt and grain with the photo aging kit, did some desaruration here and there etc in Photoshop. The possibilities are endless with and very quick to achieve with the help of the Filters Unlimited plugin.

Here's the result of my own quick tweak.

Pol
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
                        George, I'm not sure if you have come across the Virtual Photographer Plugin from Optic Verve Labs

However if not I can strongly recommend you give it a try. Its free to download and will simply plugin to your regular imaging software. There are many effects and filters built into it, each one of which is infinately adjustable to suit your needs.

Essentially it takes the hard work out of doing it yourself It should be in every photographers toolkit

Stephen,

I download lately the Virtual Photographer plugin. Yes I have it installed, but some of the effects after applied, create irreversible artifacts and pixelization where there are uniform areas of color, e.g sky.

As far as your previous comments are concerned, I don't know if it was a mistyping from you, but this photo tries to match the first half of 19th century not the 18th as you wrote. If it was a typing mistake though, suggest me one photo from all those in my gallery that would be more appropriate for manipulating.
                        Though I have to say that the photos that can be candidates to be treated as "old" are of specific type, but I'm curious to see your suggestion

Regards

George

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post

Agreed. The Optic Verve virtual photographer plugin and Filters Unlimited are excellent. I wouldn't like to be without them!

Pol

Comment

Originally posted by Pol View Post
                            You might like to have a look at the 'Filters Unlimited' software, if you don't have it already. It's not free, but it's not expensive either. The latest version is available from HERE and after you've installed it and paid for it you can add a free 'photo ageing kit' to the database.

I've just had a very quick play with your photo, using various filters from Filters Unlimited and added a few adjustments in CS2. Added a few 'scratches, dirt and grain with the photo aging kit, did some desaruration here and there etc in Photoshop. The possibilities are endless with and very quick to achieve with the help of the Filters Unlimited plugin.

Here's the result of my own quick tweak.

Pol
                            Pol,

Thanks for the info about the plugins. No I don't have them and I will download them tonight. Actually in a previous thread I asked if anybody can suggest me a plugin set, but unluckily didn't get any answer with suggestion. I'm fairly new to these effects and gathered some freeware from here and there, but they don't do quite good job. Some more professional software might do the job properly. Virtual photographer Stephen suggested, I downloaded a few days ago and is very good, but in some specific effects creates some mysterious artifacts or to be more precise degrades the picture in such a way that looks partially pixelated in some parts.

Your version is really nice, I like it a lot (I would prefer it much darker though to show old camera's limited abilities of precise metering and exposure adjustment) it has a nice aging effect. Also the fading on the side reminds me some old photos of the 50s and 60s I have from my parents.

Now, I need to go out for coffee with some friends and when I get back I will blast the plugins you insisted

Regards

George

Comment

Originally posted by Archangel View Post
                              Stephen,

I download lately the Virtual Photographer plugin. Yes I have it installed, but some of the effects after applied, create irreversible artifacts and pixelization where there are uniform areas of color, e.g sky.

As far as your previous comments are concerned, I don't know if it was a mistyping from you, but this photo tries to match the first half of 19th century not the 18th as you wrote. If it was a typing mistake though, suggest me one photo from all those in my gallery that would be more appropriate for manipulating.
                              Though I have to say that the photos that can be candidates to be treated as "old" are of specific type, but I'm curious to see your suggestion

Regards

George
                              I'll have a look George. I'm interested in your comments though about VP. I have used it for some years now and never had such problems. However such artefacts can be caused by subsequent sharpening and over compression when resaving. Nothing that VP does to an image is irreversible, simply UNDO will reverse it. I sometimes apply several filters in the preview stage before I finally apply the version I want, without any problem
                              Stephen

sigpic

Check out my BLOG too

Comment

Working...
                              X