Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Blue Eyes Portrait

Originally posted by Pol View Post
    I do indeed know the work of Dragan, also the work of jabomano/Ray and I'm a fan (most of the time anyway). I've tried it on a few self portraits - I binned them though. You'd have had nightmares if I'd shared them.

I like what you've done overall here but I had one or two reservations so I d/l a copy and have been considering it for a while this evening.

I've concluded I feel the overall colouring is just a touch too light for my taste, too 'silvery' and that makes him look too 'clean'. I'd suggest some slight darkening, more towards mono but keeping the eyes as they are - just making him more scruffy, for the want of a better word.

Pol
    So can I take it from this that you're partial to a "bit of rough" then?

Comment

Originally posted by Bearface View Post
      I've been toying with a few shots with a view to entering them into the latest "Blue" salon competition, but the other night I decided I'd make the effort and shoot something specific. However I'd already spent time on this portrait (which is a crop from one of my recent stock shoots) and so I thought I'd share it.

Many of you have seen the Dragan effect carried out on portraits shown on other websites, and if you're like me you've either loved or hated them, depending on the severity or quality of the work done. Anyway, I nevertheless thought I'd play around with some tone-mapping and localised contrast enhancement to see how this would effect the visible detail and impact of this particular shot. While the result isn't strictly of the Dragan variety, I think it has a certain something and therefore I'm posting it here to hopefully garner feedback or comment.

Some of the colours have been subdued to emphasise the eyes, but the eyes themselves are very real and have not been enhanced.

Many thanks for your interest

A superb quality image Tim, the eyes are so invasive (I saw what the others said about nose and ears, but I would never have noticed). However, I find it very disturbing, much more so than your "Chair." In fact I find it eery. I know, why, it is because he is life size, staring at me.

I also looked up Dragan - I didn't like his work at all, although I could see the photography was technically good. In fact I don't think I shall be returning to his site.

Just one more thing, I notice that one shoulder is slightly in front of the other but he is full face. When I do a portrait, I would make the surround equidistant on either side. You have more room on the right, which is the side the shoulder is further back. Do you always do this? Is it good practice to off centre the portrait? I am not really into portraits, but there are times I am asked by my grandchildren and I am curious to know the best way of portraying them. You see, if I had chopped heads off I would delete them, but that very fact makes them a winner for you.

Finally, this is absolute nothing to do with the above,
      but our Photographic Society has been given (so I read on the website)a Bowens Cocoon light tent. Does this do the same thing as a white umbrella and would, or have you ever used one or anything similar?
      Audrey

https://www.flickr.com/photos/autumn36/

Comment

Originally posted by Autumn View Post
        A superb quality image Tim, the eyes are so invasive (I saw what the others said about nose and ears, but I would never have noticed). However, I find it very disturbing, much more so than your "Chair." In fact I find it eery. I know, why, it is because he is life size, staring at me.

I also looked up Dragan - I didn't like his work at all, although I could see the photography was technically good. In fact I don't think I shall be returning to his site.

Just one more thing, I notice that one shoulder is slightly in front of the other but he is full face. When I do a portrait, I would make the surround equidistant on either side. You have more room on the right, which is the side the shoulder is further back. Do you always do this? Is it good practice to off centre the portrait? I am not really into portraits, but there are times I am asked by my grandchildren and I am curious to know the best way of portraying them. You see, if I had chopped heads off I would delete them, but that very fact makes them a winner for you.

Finally, this is absolute nothing to do with the above,
        but our Photographic Society has been given (so I read on the website)a Bowens Cocoon light tent. Does this do the same thing as a white umbrella and would, or have you ever used one or anything similar?
        Hi Audrey

Mark (the model) came to this shoot with his wife and both were lovely, friendly and wholly inoffensive people, so please don't have nightmares about this shot

Some of that Dragan stuff can be quite severe and while I was certainly looking to draw more texture and detail from this image, I wasn't trying to replicate that specific style, although it partially inspired me I'll admit

This shot was quite heavily cropped from the original, which was basically a stock image and part of a series. This is why Mark's shoulders are not square to camera - his body was angled at 90 degreees and his head turned to camera - and why it might look slightly odd. Having said that, many people who shoot portraits tend to have their subjects turn their bodies at an angle to the camera and then their heads straight on, so I guess it depends on the individual photographer and the circumstances of the shoot.

There's nothing wrong with chopping the tops of heads to draw in your subject in order to enhance the mood or the intimacy of a given shot. The key is to do it for a specific reason, otherwise it can appear odd and out of balance

Is the light tent in question a full-sized portrait type, or one for shooting product and still-life images? Either way, the effect they have is to diffuse the light evenly around the subject, although the precise results depend on the numbers of lights used and their positioning. I'd say you'll see results more akin to using a softbox or two than umbrellas, but you'll certainly enjoy finding out...

Thanks for your comments, Audrey.

Comment

Originally posted by Josh Bear View Post
          Hi,

Oh and please stop posting pictures that make me want a 5D. Thanks

Best Regards

Josh
          I'll second that!
          Stuart R
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/fred-canon/

Life is an incurable disease with a 100% mortality rate

Comment

Originally posted by Bearface View Post
            Hi Audrey

Mark (the model) came to this shoot with his wife and both were lovely, friendly and wholly inoffensive people, so please don't have nightmares about this shot

Some of that Dragan stuff can be quite severe and while I was certainly looking to draw more texture and detail from this image, I wasn't trying to replicate that specific style, although it partially inspired me I'll admit

This shot was quite heavily cropped from the original, which was basically a stock image and part of a series. This is why Mark's shoulders are not square to camera - his body was angled at 90 degreees and his head turned to camera - and why it might look slightly odd. Having said that, many people who shoot portraits tend to have their subjects turn their bodies at an angle to the camera and then their heads straight on, so I guess it depends on the individual photographer and the circumstances of the shoot.

There's nothing wrong with chopping the tops of heads to draw in your subject in order to enhance the mood or the intimacy of a given shot. The key is to do it for a specific reason, otherwise it can appear odd and out of balance

Is the light tent in question a full-sized portrait type, or one for shooting product and still-life images? Either way, the effect they have is to diffuse the light evenly around the subject, although the precise results depend on the numbers of lights used and their positioning. I'd say you'll see results more akin to using a softbox or two than umbrellas, but you'll certainly enjoy finding out...

Thanks for your comments, Audrey.

I understand about the 90 degree angle, it was the fact that the portrait was off centre. I know that one doesn't usually put a single object in the centre of a picture, but I had never thought of putting a full face portrait off centre. Of course I have put portraits off centre if they are not full face.
            Audrey

https://www.flickr.com/photos/autumn36/

Comment

i realy like it.i like the subtle pink tones to the lips as well ,the more i look at it the more the colour seems to come out......oh & my 18yr old daughter says "he's hottttt" in english she means a hunk

Comment

Originally posted by chryslerchick View Post
                i realy like it.i like the subtle pink tones to the lips as well ,the more i look at it the more the colour seems to come out......oh & my 18yr old daughter says "he's hottttt" in english she means a hunk
                I think this is an incredibly striking picture - Tim is going to be hogging the POTD slots in the future!

But I have to confess I don't see what your daughter sees in this really rather scary character

Ian
                Founder/editor
                Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
                Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
                Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
                Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Comment

Deathly tones, aggression and even fear in the face. A brilliant portrait whatever way you look at it.
                  Tom

Comment

Originally posted by chryslerchick View Post
                    Kids eh?

Thanks

Comment

well judging by my daughters last boyfriend,her taste is a bit dogey to say the least i prefered the way in which the pic was taken / edited myself

Comment

The colour thing is more subjective and I actually think that this shot would've worked better in mono, although obviously I'd have lost the blue eyes and therefore the basis for considering the shot as a potential entry into the "Blue" salon....

Hi,
                        I like this image a great deal, it is at a level to aspire to, the image itself is gritty, some would say threatening or aggressive, and yet again rebelious, as for the above statement, I too feel that it would be superb as a mono and as the eyes can be colored it could still be entered into the "blue" comp. A great pro image in my opinion. One point to note though is that on my monitor the skin looks to have a little washed out almost negligable but noticeable pinkish cast, another reason to convert to mono.
                        Catch Ya Later
                        Tinka

Comment

Working...
                        X