Lightroom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lightroom

I've been playing with Lightroom. This is my first attempt at conversion to B&W. How dose it look to you? Have I over done the contrast? Dose the content etc. work in this image. Your comments please on this one.

Re: Lightroom

Originally posted by lumix View Post
    I've been playing with Lightroom. This is my first attempt at conversion to B&W. How dose it look to you? Have I over done the contrast? Dose the content etc. work in this image. Your comments please on this one.
    At first glance - really nice, but two things I noticed on closer examination: the highlights look bleached towards the front of the boat and there us aliasing (jagged edges) in what should be smooth linear detail, especially visible in the two boats further away, which suggests over-sharpening.

But I like the composition, the subject and the black and white tonality - aside from the observations above.

Ian
    Founder/editor
    Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
    Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
    Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Comment

Ron, I would agree with Ian, this is a good conversion, in so far as you have a very clean image with good black & whites. The composition is good too. However the same two things struck me about the slightly blown highlights on the boat and the fact that it appeared slightly oversharpened. TBH I wouldn't worry too much about the highlights, it looks like it was very contrasty light anyway, I would however ease off on the sharpening.

This Lightroom seems to be a great program, I had an earlier Beta version, but decided to leave it till it was released fully
      Stephen

sigpic

Check out my BLOG too

Comment

Yes I agree with Ian. I also get the feeling that too much contrast and sharpenning has been applied but of course I could be wrong. I feel also that the 'skyless' sky has not done you any favours here; if ever a few clouds were needed it is here and now.
        Composition wise I think that thingy sticking up behind the main boat is a bit of a distraction.
        I'm also wondering, Lumix, if this shot is a good candidate for conversion to B/W as there could be a good array of colours that might be more interesting against that big sky.

Comment

Superb composition first and formost.

It is slightly oversharpened, and slightly too contrasty for my liking, but only by a small amount.

Unusually for me, I like the featureless sky, I think it allows the eye to concentrate more on the subject matter. A nice image!
          sigpic

Comment

Hi Ron,

My opinion about your photo has as follows:

For me the blown highlights is not a problem, simply because under extreme and direct sunlight what someone could see with his/her own eyes could be what is shown in the photo (slightly blown and blinded highlights).
            I think what makes the highlights not to look so good is the over sharpening that has been applied, especially in the 2 far distant boats. If the image was softer, the highlights would look more suitable and more natural.
            Blown highlights in a photo is not always a bad thing. It is a bad thing if it comes from camera's wrong metering and it is a very good thing when the camera captures them exactly as they appear blown.

I also think that you should include a little more ground, just because I see a line on the ground that is slightly cut towards the bottom of the picture and cut slightly a little sky which is anyway enough in the photo.

Your photo also has very good artistic potential as is and it would keep that in B&W or color version. Personally I would like both.

Regards

George

Comment

Originally posted by Tom View Post
              Yes I agree with Ian. I also get the feeling that too much contrast and sharpenning has been applied but of course I could be wrong. I feel also that the 'skyless' sky has not done you any favours here; if ever a few clouds were needed it is here and now.
              Composition wise I think that thingy sticking up behind the main boat is a bit of a distraction.
              I'm also wondering, Lumix, if this shot is a good candidate for conversion to B/W as there could be a good array of colours that might be more interesting against that big sky.
              I like the sky - it's very clean and big; it suggests a lovely cloudless day. That's not to say that a sky with great cloud structure isn't valid - they both are.

Ian
              Founder/editor

Comment

Originally posted by Archangel View Post
                I also think that you should include a little more ground, just because I see a line on the ground that is slightly cut towards the bottom of the picture and cut slightly a little sky which is anyway enough in the photo.
                If I understand you correctly George, you are saying more on the bottom less on the top. Wouldn't this put the horizon in the middle, therefore splitting the image into 2 equal halves
                Stephen

sigpic

Check out my BLOG too

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
                  If I understand you correctly George, you are saying more on the bottom less on the top. Wouldn't this put the horizon in the middle, therefore splitting the image into 2 equal halves
                  This is what I'm saying Stephen, but very slightly just for that cut line in the bottom to appear all, if possible, but only up to the point that doesn't split the image in half, because putting the horizon in the middle of course could probably spoil the photo.

Just a very slight (say for example 0.5 - 1.0 cm of ground addition) if possible.
                  I'm not fan of 2 equal halves either

Regards

George

Comment

Thanks everyone for the rapid response. I nearly pulled this image out when I see it in thread. It did not quite look so sharpened in Lightroom. I have tried to take on board all comments so here is a re-work. Also moved the image up slightly in frame to see if the composition suffered. Hope I've got it about right this time. Lightroom takes a bit of navigating but I will stick with it and see what it's capable of when I know how to use it.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the rapid response. I nearly pulled this image out when I see it in thread. It did not quite look so sharpened in Lightroom. I have tried to take on board all comments so here is a re-work. Also moved the image up slightly in frame to see if the composition suffered. Hope I've got it about right this time. Lightroom takes a bit of navigating but I will stick with it and see what it's capable of when I know how to use it.

Ron,

I like the second attempt. For me including slightly more ground and cutting the sky a little (if you compare both versions next to each other on an image editor) the photo looks more that was taken from down to up, which I personally like.

The sharpness is OK (standard neutral) in the 2nd version (maybe a tic up, would still be OK while adding some more detail to the little stones in the ground - but that is totally personal preference and taste of each individual), but I liked more the vibrancy of the blown whites in the 1st version. Anyway, personal opinion.

Regards

George

Comment

Originally posted by Archangel View Post
                        Ron,

I like the second attempt. For me including slightly more ground and cutting the sky a little (if you compare both versions next to each other on an image editor) the photo looks more that was taken from down to up, which I personally like.

The sharpness is OK (standard neutral) in the 2nd version (maybe a tic up, would still be OK while adding some more detail to the little stones in the ground - but that is totally personal preference and taste of each individual), but I liked more the vibrancy of the blown whites in the 1st version. Anyway, personal opinion.

Regards

George
                        All very valid points George. I find it easier to analise someone else's work than my own. Strange thing is that at full screen size the first looks just about right, but once re-sized for web it looked over sharpened. Originally I ended up with this version in colour. Not sure now if I prefer the B&W or the Colour.

Comment

Hmmm... I feel some of the crispness of the original is lost in the revised version, even though the over-sharpening aliasing has been fixed. The aliasing may have been brought out by the added contrast.

I don't personally see much impact in the slight change in the cropping.

Ian
                          Founder/editor

Comment

All very valid points George. I find it easier to analise someone else's work than my own. Strange thing is that at full screen size the first looks just about right, but once re-sized for web it looked over sharpened. Originally I ended up with this version in colour. Not sure now if I prefer the B&W or the Colour.
                            Ron, a little tip regarding sharpening. If you sharpen a full size image the sharpening levels are for the full image, if you then resize, it probably will not look right. Different levels of sharpening would normally be applied to a web size image. Therefore its best to always sharpen the image after resizing, so you can use the levels of sharpening applicable to that size. Just a rule of thumb you understand
                            Stephen

sigpic

Check out my BLOG too

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
                              Ron, a little tip regarding sharpening. If you sharpen a full size image the sharpening levels are for the full image, if you then resize, it probably will not look right. Different levels of sharpening would normally be applied to a web size image. Therefore its best to always sharpen the image after resizing, so you can use the levels of sharpening applicable to that size. Just a rule of thumb you understand
                              Quite right Stephen. You would think that I should have learnt that by now, but I still keep making mistakes. Think I need to slow down a bit and look closer at what I'm doing. Then again at my age there is soooo much to do and not enough time left to do it. You will find that when you get older the days get shorter. Us oldens need our sleep.

Comment

Working...
                              X