More opinions than critic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More opinions than critic

Have you ever had a picture that you are sure has potential but are not sure how to get it out? This is a picture taken early on a foggy morning in Camaret. I've tried at least a dozen different crops and colours and I'm just not happy with any of them. What do you think?

Original - uncropped

First crop

Second crop-B&W

Portrait crop

What do you think? Like any of them or none of them?

Roger

Re: More opinions than critic

I love the second one. It shows the boat in good detail and colour and it also looks good againt that moody background. Realistic imho.

I also rather like the last one, though it makes me feel cold, makes me want to pull on a warm sweater.

Pol

Comment

I prefer the original.
      Regards Paul.
      One day I hope to be the person my dogs think I am.

My Flickr Photos

Comment

First of all I don't mind the original colouring.

I think the second crop is best, but feel the treatment loses the pretty houses in the background.

To sum up. I would like to see the crop of the second more or less leaving the original treatment (or no treatment), but with the detail of the boat brought out as in the second picture.

I'm not really a mono person.
        Audrey

https://www.flickr.com/photos/autumn36/

Comment

In my view I feel that those bright lights tend to constantly draw the eye away from the area of greatest interest ie.:- the boat.

Comment

Originally posted by DennisP View Post
            In my view I feel that those bright lights tend to constantly draw the eye away from the area of greatest interest ie.:- the boat.
            I agree with you Dennis, therefore, the lights subdued with the little houses as in the first pic for me.
            Audrey

https://www.flickr.com/photos/autumn36/

Comment

The last one is, IMO, the worst. The boat being central and the tight crop seems to make the background look cluttered causing the boat to lose focus.

The treatment you have administered to the 2nd, along with further diffusing of the lights, would I feel make the original a real winner.
              -------------------------

Comment

I agreed with you Pops - but I am still missing something. Just have to wait for another foggy morning but I seem to be hooked on B&W at the moment.
                Thanks for the other comments.

Roger

Comment

The second or the last image for me, the last has a lovely old colour quality to my eye.
                  Regards Huw

E-M1 & HLD-7
                  7.5 | 17 | 45 | 60 | 12-40 | 35-100 | 75-300 MKII | FL-36R
                  Tokina 300 | x1.4 x2 TC
                  Sigma DP1M | DP2M | DP3M
                  CaptureOne Pro | Helicon Filter Pro | Photomatrix Pro

Comment

Originally posted by rogleale View Post
                    Have you ever had a picture that you are sure has potential but are not sure how to get it out? This is a picture taken early on a foggy morning in Camaret. I've tried at least a dozen different crops and colours and I'm just not happy with any of them. What do you think?
                    I have had a play trust you don't mind.

I agree a great picture trying to get out.

There is a great feeling and atmosphere to the picture so my fiddling has attempted to draw that out a lot more.
                    I duplicated the picture added gaussian blur, and reduced the opacity to about 30% so a sharp image was showing through the blurred one. I added a solid colour layer of white and reduced its opacity also and erased with a brush set to 30% the white mask in the boat and mast area, just enough to strengthen the tones a little so it stands out more. I also darkened the corners a little.
                    I liked your crop (but not the yellow frame you put round, pulls too much attention) its nicely balanced in my view other than the boat I feel it would have been better on the left. A slight change in position could have probably achieved this.

Patrick
                    Attached Files

Comment

I like the first picture better than all I have seen so far. On my monitor at least the tones look warmer and more attractive. I also like the slight vignette. If I were to crop it at all I would take the part-house off on the right, but leave the rest so the tree still appears unpruned.

But in the end it is your choice.

- K.

Comment

I think the 3rd & 4th crops are best. I realize that the 2nd looksd much like the 3rd but in colour! Is it just my computer or does the sky look as though it has many halos? It does this sometimes when photos have been increased in size, particularly if taken with a mobile phone.
                        Jocelyn

Comment

Working...
                        X