White Flower Macro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White Flower Macro

I found these flowers growing on a bush outside my front door. They are truly tiny, measuring about 7mm across and grow in small bunches of about 25mm. I broke off a few bunches to take indoors as I thought they'd made a good macro subject. I've no idea what they are, so if anyone knows, please let me know and some critique too please.

Cheers

Rich

Re: White Flower Macro

Nice result, Rich - what lens did you use? Some details on the lighting would be good

Ian
    Founder/editor
    Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
    Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
    Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Comment

Originally posted by Ian View Post
      Nice result, Rich - what lens did you use? Some details on the lighting would be good

Ian
      Sigma 105mm with Kenko extensions tubes (all 3 of the set totaling 68mm of extension). Lighting was simply daylight through a very large window/door. The top half corners of the image were slightly bright out of camera but a brightness and contrast adjustment layer through a gaussian blurred mask took care of it. Taking another look at this image, I think I could do with toning down the yellow part at the top center. In fact, as I have a little time to kill, I'm going to get right on it now and re-upload!

Cheers

Rich

Comment

I've edited this to tone down the bright yellow in the top of the image. I have also found out this is called "Spirea Arguta" aka "Bridal Wreath".

Cheers

Rich

Comment

The Sigma 105 is a fine macro lens

The edit you made is subtle but effective. Have you added any vignette to the corners?

Ian
          Founder/editor
          Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
          Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
          Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
          Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Comment

A lovely image (well, both of them!) You'll find that bush will grow pretty big - I have one in a border that's as dry as dust, and it does very well there. It's about 6 feet high and wide now.

I've had the Sigma 105 f2.8 for a couple of years now (though no extension tubes) and have never really cracked it. I bought it for long distance portraits and macro, but have never really got my head round it so thinking of selling it at the moment and putting the money towards a 24-70 f2.8 - but can't decide whether to buy the cheaper Sigma or pay double for the Canon.

Don't have time to play around with macros much at the moment - it's all gig photography and the 24-70 would come in very handy there (and for the weddings I'm doing, too).
            http://carolannphotos.com

Comment

Originally posted by Ian View Post
              The Sigma 105 is a fine macro lens

The edit you made is subtle but effective. Have you added any vignette to the corners?

Ian
              Thanks, I used a mask on a hue/saturation adjustment layer to do that.

The "vignette" in the bottom corners was already present pre-post due to the direction of light. I darkened the top corners to balance the effect with a mask in a brightness and contrast adjustment layer.

Cheers

Rich

Comment

Sweet shot, Ive never used extension tubes but by the sound of it they were needed on this shot as the flowers were so small, although you could have just cropped the final image if you did'nt need the resolution.
                http://www.ftmphotography.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                X