Should I crop more off this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I crop more off this?

I have cropped this shot slightly. I was attracted by the reflections in the wet paving, but feel unsure of how much to chop off! Any advice welcomed. Taken in poor light Saturday morning with Panasonic GF1 and 20mm pancake lens.

Re: Should I crop more off this?

Well, this is just what I first thought. Not at all conclusive. A sort of memo for myself.

The pivotal issue (?) seems to be what to do with the relatively flat sky which locates in the middle of the upper part.
    As the sky is not the core part of this picture, so from that viewpoint it looks to me better to crop it out.

BUT (imoportant but) it destroys the aspect ratio and the pic becomes like a panorama. Wheter this is good or not...

and I want to keep the bottle in the left edge.

I, too, look forward to listening to other opinions.

yoshi

Comment

My opinion? Take the left off to the people. All of the best pavement remains, and that odd stuff on the left that is distracting goes away.

Comment

Hi Kurt,

I'm a fan of panoramas, and I agree with Yoshi. By scrolling the image down I cropped the sky out until it matched the reflections on the wet pavement. It makes the perspective more obvious, and well balanced.

Roger

Comment

I have taken on board what you have said. But still I am not sure. I think probably there is too much going on in this image. Perhaps I should consign it to the trash.

Comment

It's your picture Kurt, but I think that you cropped it too much. When I crop it to get only the things that are reflected on the pavement, that puts the vanishing point right in the middle. for me it's interesting and a keeper.
            To each his own.

Roger

Comment

I can't throw it away just yet. So I am going to spend a bit more time on it. I will post an update in a few days. In the meantime, I am still awaiting any thoughts you might have. You don't have to limit your comments to cropping.

Comment

Originally posted by Kurt View Post
                I can't throw it away just yet. So I am going to spend a bit more time on it. I will post an update in a few days. In the meantime, I am still awaiting any thoughts you might have. You don't have to limit your comments to cropping.
                If or not its a keeper I can't say, not my type of picture. I must say there is no point of interest but then is it possible for there to be one on a picture like this?

Any way, my thoughts on improvements. First, its not straight there is a lean on the central buildings, correcting this does mean when cropping out that poor sky some of the lovely wet foreground gets lost, and where the pavement meets the building affectingly its horizon, is a little too close to 50- 50. If however when cropping that sky include & loose the two figures on the extreme right, a little more foreground is then gained, and I feel is better balanced, The other two people on right I would leave in. I would also as is my normal practice darken all corners a little this keeps the eye inside the picture.
                Hope you don't mind here are those modifications.

Patrick
                Attached Files

Comment

Works for me Patrick t-up. Do you think a mono conversion would also eliminate the brightly coloured rain coats which seem to be catching my eye?
                  Stephen

sigpic

Check out my BLOG too

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
                    Works for me Patrick t-up. Do you think a mono conversion would also eliminate the brightly coloured rain coats which seem to be catching my eye?

Hi Stephen

Certainly worth considering, I have just deleted it from the desktop perhaps you would like to do it.

Patrick

Comment

Thank you very much for your input, all of you. I had already darkened the corners and changed the crop, I hadn't noticed leaning buildings but will have another look tonight. Luckily I still have it in layers, so I will be able to make changes without going back to the original. Keep the tips coming. Although I don't think this will ever be a winning shot, partly through the lack of a definite viewpoint I must admit, I am enjoying trying to improve it. And the practise will come in useful with some better shots.

K

Comment

Originally posted by Kurt View Post
                        Thank you very much for your input, all of you. I had already darkened the corners and changed the crop, I hadn't noticed leaning buildings but will have another look tonight. Luckily I still have it in layers, so I will be able to make changes without going back to the original. Keep the tips coming. Although I don't think this will ever be a winning shot, partly through the lack of a definite viewpoint I must admit, I am enjoying trying to improve it. And the practise will come in useful with some better shots.

K
                        Here is a B/W version as Stephen suggested, probably fits the mood of the rain better.
                        Does it have to be a winner its if you like it that counts in the end.

Patrick
                        Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Patrick, didn't get time to do it myself. It certainly solves my problems though.
                          Stephen

sigpic

Check out my BLOG too

Comment

Hello.

I have gone back to this and changed the crop and made a few other alterations with sharpness, etc selectively. I had a look at changing it to Mono, but in my view this did not improve it. I rather like the yellow macs (especially the reflections of them. Of course all pictures do not have to be winners, but when I took this, rather hurridly I must admit as it was raining heavily, I had high hopes which have been cruely dashed! Never mind - I am used to it! Please let me have your views on the final(?) version of this. - Kurt

Comment

Nicely done Kurt, I like the way that the strictly straight lines of the buildings are repeated in the wavy reflections.

Roger

Comment

Working...
                              X