(Very) slippery steps...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (Very) slippery steps...

This is another shot from my brief trek into the woods this week. The previous contrast / saturation adjustments received mixed feedback on the last few images posted, so this time I've eased off somewhat. Just curious about what folks think of this one in general

Thanks.

Last edited by Bearface; 16-01-07, 09:55 PM.

Re: (Very) slippery steps...

Been behind on posts so thought I would get in early on this one.

I love it. Simple as that. I

like the colours, the composition, the sharpness and the fact I can go back a look at it time and time again and see somthing different.

I honestly cannot offer any comments on potential opportunities to change the photograph.

A real demonstration that you don't need a bright Summers day to get a great picture.

Best Regards

Josh
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/40196275@N08/

Comment

I think this is a much stronger photo than the previous ones in the series shown earlier. I say this from a compositional point of view, but also the colours of the wintery scene are more to my liking not to mention the light and textures.

What makes the picture for me of course is the use of the steps in the foreground, you are brought down the steps to the waters edge, and whoah you are almost slipping in the river, looks like the dog did too . You then are led up the river and valley to the flat river spur and river cliff. It looks almost frosty up there. My eye starts wandering then to other areas and aspects of the image.

This is a lesson in great composition IMHO. I'm not saying its perfect, but lets stick to the positive elements as the negative are just nitpicking
      Stephen

sigpic

Check out my BLOG too

Comment

Originally posted by Bearface View Post
        Just curious about what folks think of this one in general

Thanks.

[/img]

I love it - lighting, composition, scenery, steps sky, location all fabulous! I also agree wholeheartedly with Josh when he says
        "you don't need a bright Summers day to get a great picture" and if ever a picture proved the point - this is it! t-up t-up t-up

Pol

Comment

Great Photo. As the others have said cannot fault it.

My PhotoBlog

Comment

Originally posted by Bearface View Post
            This is another shot from my brief trek into the woods this week. The previous contrast / saturation adjustments received mixed feedback on the last few images posted, so this time I've eased off somewhat. Just curious about what folks think of this one in general

Thanks.

Tim,

That is a very good photo. Stephen almost read my mind, so I won't repeat the same. It is much stronger than the previous series posted too.

George

Comment

Tim I have for the past hour been looking at this picture. I even downloaded it so I could view it in full on my screen. I'm not normally lost for words but this time all I can say is FANTASTIC. Every thing pleases the eye.

Comment

Thank-you to Josh, Stephen, Pol, Andrew, Ron and George for your comments so far. Those steps were a bit of a gift really, weren't they..?

Stephen, if you'd wanted to nitpick, I'd have genuinely welcomed it. In fact, bring it on big fella

Comment

I think Stephen has said everything I wanted to say about this one, Tim

Ian
                  Founder/editor
                  Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
                  Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
                  Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
                  Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Comment

Originally posted by Ian View Post
                    I think Stephen has said everything I wanted to say about this one, Tim

Ian
                    Hmmm........Fair enough then

Comment

Tim,

I have to say that in my opinion (humble though it may be) this is one of the best shots I have seen in a very long time!

I love everything about it, and feel I can almost reach out and touch, feel and breathe in the environment.

I particularly like the layers (picture wise, not post processing) I can see, from the steps in the foreground, to the hills and trees, very slightly shrouded in mist in the far background.

The little dog footprints are a nice touch as well by the way.

Nice work, and a shot which I reckon should be considered for picture of the day.

Cheers,
                      Ben
                      sigpic

Comment

Tim I think this has everything from the great steps in the front to distant mountain at the back. The green field just beyond the river has a lovely layer of what seems to be frost or dew. Please don't tell me its anything else. The tree roots by the side of the steps and the detail around them are a great asset.
                        From the top of the steps its easy to imagine a nice walkway through or down the side of the woods. The eye is also drawn in by the river as it makes it;s way.
                        Any further saturation would have taken the "cold day and time of year" look out of it.
                        On my monitor I have to scroll to see all the picture and I find that a bit of a pain but I see enough and it's great.

Comment

Did not notice the paw prints until I read the other comments.

Comment

Thats a Poster shot, It needs to be seen by the multitudes,
                            Guy McLaren
                            http://www.guymclaren.co.za
                            Pity about the cheap glass.

Comment

This is really a nice picture. The compostion/exposure especially, and the colour tones are interesting to me. I was wondering how the river would look like (and consequently the impression of the picture as a whole would change ) if a bit slower shutter was used. It might however badly affect the sky exposure though. A good picture that trigers further imagination!
                              yoshi

Comment

Working...
                              X