Week Three - Exposure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Week Three - Exposure

Week three things got a little more technical.

First we looked at the difference between over and under exposure. There was a test to do and then we were shown how to control exposure using the controls on the camera ie the ISO setting, aperture (f-stops), shutter speed and light intensity and getting a balance between them. What the different Auto, A, S and M settings allow you to change manually.

Then, lastly, looking at improving the image exposure using histograms.

I have found this week tough as there is a lot of information to take in. The little tests have helped and there are interactive cameras so you can see how the aperture etc. change.

The assignment was to capture images in varied and challenging lighting conditions. My attempts to follow shortly.

Julia
    Julia

Re: Week Three - Exposure

Thanks for your update Julia. It sounds a very interesting course. I think it would be useful to see how all these different settings worked independently and together particularly with the use of interactive cameras.
    Audrey

https://www.flickr.com/photos/autumn36/

Comment

As promised these are some of the photos taken for week three's assignment. We had to take photos of high contrast, low light and motion blur using the different settings. My water photos didn't come out very well so I tried the fish.

Comments welcome as always.

Julia

Comment

Finally got my blurred water shots.

Comments welcome.

Julia
        Julia

Comment

Originally posted by Julia View Post
          Finally got my blurred water shots.

Comments welcome.

Julia
          Julia I see that in order to get the slow shutter speed you have had to stop down to f22 Trouble is you are now suffereing from camera shake. Something to steady the camera is needed esp if you go much below 1/60th sec maybe 1/30th is the extreme limit. In fact water such as this will blur nicely at around 1/30th sec
          Stephen

sigpic

Check out my BLOG too

Comment

Actually, Julia has been trouping around the house with one of my tripods attached to her camera

But I'd guess this was one taken on her way to the office via the canal, so no tripod...

Ian

PS I've got the lightweight travel tripod of ours with me here in Spain
            Founder/editor
            Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
            Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
            Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
            Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Comment

Thanks for the comments and advice, Stephen. I went down to F22 because all my photos were coming out very over exposured. I don't have a steady hand so tried resting on the metal of the lock gates. I thought it was ok but looking again I can see the shake. I will try 1/30 tomorrow although I thought this would be too fast.

Failling that I will have to wait for the tripod to be returned. My camera is too heavy for the baby one Ian has left me.

Julia
              Julia

Comment

Working...
              X