Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

T189 Digital Photography: creating and sharing better images.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • T189 Digital Photography: creating and sharing better images.

    Welcome to DPNow's forum discussion board dedicated to the Open University course T189 Digital Photography: creating and sharing better images.

    Julia has signed up for this ten week course, aimed at enthusiastic digital photography beginners, and will be documenting her experiences - and pictures!, blog-style, on this board. If you are also studying this course or a similar one, or are interested in taking it on in the future, you're very welcome to join in the discussion here!

    Ian
    Founder/editor
    Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
    Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
    Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

  • #2
    Re: T189 Digital Photography: creating and sharing better images.

    Hi,
    We received a press release about this course and I thought if I work for a Digital Photography website perhaps I should learn a bit more about taking pictures. The first assignment was to look at Flickr and choose some photos I liked. I seemed to go for the Macro images so, borrowing a Macro lens, I had a go. Please let me know what you think. The camera is an Olympus E330 with a Sigma 105mm 1:2.8 DG Macro lens.





    Julia

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: T189 Digital Photography: creating and sharing better images.

      Being Julia's better half , I could be accused of bias, but I really like the dandelion clock, even if the subject isn't particularly original. Jemima the cat, who was telling the photographer at the time that she wasn't interested in being an international superstar model (daughter Elizabeth, out of shot, had her pinned down for the shoot ) turned out better than I was expecting and can you guess what the third picture is of?

      Ian
      Founder/editor
      Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
      Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
      Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
      Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: T189 Digital Photography: creating and sharing better images.

        Originally posted by Julia View Post
        Hi,
        We received a press release about this course and I thought if I work for a Digital Photography website perhaps I should learn a bit more about taking pictures. The first assignment was to look at Flickr and choose some photos I liked. I seemed to go for the Macro images so, borrowing a Macro lens, I had a go. Please let me know what you think. The camera is an Olympus E330 with a Sigma 105mm 1:2.8 DG Macro lens.


        [/CENTER]
        I'm not keen on the second shot (the cat). The colour of th eyes doesn't appeal to me and there doesn't seem to be a clear and specific point of focus anywhere.

        The first and third are very good though - in my ever so 'umble and not very experienced opinion (I hasten to add)

        The Dandelion -- nice composition and framing. Nice point of focus and interesting sort of 'hazy effect' around the stem and leading off into the seeds. I might have pulled back ever so slightly to include the tips of the greenery ..... on the other hand, I reckon your framing is excellent just as it is. Altogether a good and memorable shot imho.

        The Chocolate Flakes -- Yay! I really, really like the 'fingers' beckoning me to come over and eat that tasty mouthful. That is just so tempting and sexy!! I want it and I want it NOW.

        I suppose some might say there's too much white, especially the top/right half .... but it doesn't especially bother me as I also find the icing, and shadows, from the chocolate flakes, adds to the tasty temptation.

        A naughty but nice image imo. Is it a chocolate log?

        I'm gonna have myself a slice of Viennetta now - choccy and vanilla.


        Pol

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: T189 Digital Photography: creating and sharing better images.

          Originally posted by Ian View Post

          ............. can you guess what the third picture is of?

          Ian

          Have you eaten it yet?

          I hope you left some for me!

          Pol

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: T189 Digital Photography: creating and sharing better images.

            Hi Pol, thanks for your comments. Unfortuately the third images isn't chocolate but used Earl Grey tea leaves. Chocolate never lasts long enough in this house to be photographed

            Julia
            Julia

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: T189 Digital Photography: creating and sharing better images.

              Hi Pol,

              This one is of our other cat - any better?

              Julia

              Julia

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: T189 Digital Photography: creating and sharing better images.

                Originally posted by Julia View Post
                Hi Pol, thanks for your comments. Unfortuately the third images isn't chocolate but used Earl Grey tea leaves. Chocolate never lasts long enough in this house to be photographed

                Julia
                Naaaaaaaah!! Wicked!! I'd never have guessed.

                So Pol's a plonker.

                ...... but she's a plonker wiv a big chunk of Viennetta on her desk.

                Pol

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: T189 Digital Photography: creating and sharing better images.

                  Originally posted by Julia View Post
                  Hi Pol,

                  This one is of our other cat - any better?

                  Julia

                  Awwww yeah - that's ever so sweet.

                  Nice point of focus too as she/he is communicating eye-to-eye with the viewer.

                  Pol

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: T189 Digital Photography: creating and sharing better images.

                    Originally posted by Pol View Post
                    Awwww yeah - that's ever so sweet.

                    Nice point of focus too as she/he is communicating eye-to-eye with the viewer.

                    Pol
                    Julia has created a gallery album dedicated to her OU pictures, by the way.

                    Ian
                    Founder/editor
                    Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
                    Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
                    Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
                    Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: T189 Digital Photography: creating and sharing better images.

                      Not a plonker at all - Ian thought it was chocolate too

                      Jasmine (the cat) was saying, "Put that camera down and get my supper"

                      Julia
                      Julia

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: T189 Digital Photography: creating and sharing better images.

                        Originally posted by Julia View Post
                        Not a plonker at all - Ian thought it was chocolate too

                        Jasmine (the cat) was saying, "Put that camera down and get my supper"

                        Julia
                        Oh no I didn't!

                        I simply said - "What's that"

                        Forget 'chocolate doesn't last long in enough in this household to be photographed... chocolate doesn't last long enough for me to get any!

                        Ian
                        Founder/editor
                        Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
                        Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
                        Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
                        Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: T189 Digital Photography: creating and sharing better images.

                          Oh yes you did :b
                          Julia

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: T189 Digital Photography: creating and sharing better images.

                            Originally posted by Julia View Post
                            Oh yes you did :b
                            Haha, I'm gonna love catching up on this one when I get back from me Jollies
                            Stephen

                            sigpic

                            Check out my BLOG too


                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: T189 Digital Photography: creating and sharing better images.

                              Originally posted by Stephen View Post
                              Haha, I'm gonna love catching up on this one when I get back from me Jollies
                              Aren't you on your way to Alaska yet?

                              I'm expecting some serious photography from this trip, Stephen!

                              Ian
                              Founder/editor
                              Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
                              Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
                              Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
                              Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X