400D Problem.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 400D Problem.....

Hi all. Bit stuck at the moment. Just got my new 400D a few days ago and have been stuck into the manual for the last few days 'learning' it.

I do have a problem though when I have the camera in 'Bulb' mode. When I take the picture, the picture on the camera is all white.

I look at the picture on 'Playback' and it is just a white screen.....

Anyone know what i am on about and how to sort it out??

Many thanks.

Re: 400D Problem.....

Originally posted by ekkl View Post
    Hi all. Bit stuck at the moment. Just got my new 400D a few days ago and have been stuck into the manual for the last few days 'learning' it.

I do have a problem though when I have the camera in 'Bulb' mode. When I take the picture, the picture on the camera is all white.

Many thanks.
    Tut tut. Bulb mode is......................................... so you probably got a very o...... e............... photograph
    Stephen

sigpic

Check out my BLOG too

Comment

Many thanks.
      haha!
      What Stephen said!

I reckon your bulbs blown out!

Seriously though, did you read what 'bulb' mode is, and what are you trying to take a photo of that warrants the use of it?
      sigpic

Comment

You're both wicked

In a nutshell .........

When the camera is in bulb mode the shutter stays open throughout the whole of the time your finger is on the button. It means you can lock the shutter and hold it open for very long exposures.

Therefore it will overexpose if you use it in bright light, normal bright daylight.

Pol

Comment

I never used it once ekkl. I think it's one of those things that is there but not really required for the average man in the street.
          -------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Pops View Post
            I never used it once ekkl. I think it's one of those things that is there but not really required for the average man in the street.

No reason at all why the average man in the street shouldn't use it. I'm only very 'average' and I used it for the "New Year" challenge - the time when Ian asked us to post a picture of what we did on New Year's Day.

I photographed the first dawn of the first day of the new year with blub mode. I'd mounted the camera on a tripod beside my bed. It was very dark so I took a few test shots to get some idea of the time required to enable me to get the colours of the sky accurate as near as possible. I used a cable switch on bulb mode and a background clock ticking for the timer - time was 60 seconds exactly and the result was as seen below. The exif info is also included in the gallery.

Bulb mode can also be used successfully for fireworks or lightning, though I never tried it myself. The general idea is to lock the shutter open with bulb mode, cover the front of the lens with a black card then pull the card away for the exposure of the firework (or lightning flashes). That's the rough idea anyway. I might even get around to trying it eventually.

Anyway - here's the New Dawn of a New year picture - bulb mode for 60 seconds.

Pol

Comment

Originally posted by Pol View Post

Anyway - here's the New Dawn of a New year picture - bulb mode for 60 seconds.
              PS -- I forgot to mention that one of the advantages of using bulb mode is that you can use a low ISO and lock the shutter open for as long as necessary to get your shot (with less risk of noise problems you might get with a high ISO)

Pol

Comment

my pictures alwyas turn out with the colours faded - what am i doing wrong

Comment

Originally posted by adagnall View Post
                  my pictures alwyas turn out with the colours faded - what am i doing wrong
                  Hi - I see you are new to DPNow; so welcome!

What kind of camera are you using? Can you show us some of your faded pictures?

Ian
                  Founder/editor
                  Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
                  Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
                  Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
                  Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pops View Post
                    I'm with Pol on this one. Just wish I had Bulb on my present camera. One good use is photographing interiors. Used to be known as painting with light. Set camera on tripod. Select low ISO and small aperture. Lock shutter open and walk around firing your flash at different parts of the interior, great fun. Also taking photos of flood lit buildings. No flash this time just a very long exposure. People waking by and or cars etc. are not recorded so you get a clear view of your subject. Give it a go, it's a very interesting way to take photos.

Comment

Thank you very much for all the replies, much appreciated.

I was reading through the manual when I came to the part all about bulb setting. I tried it out in the house here and reading above seems to fit in with what happened.

Last night I was taking pictures through my telescope, want to know about bulb mode as this is what I wil be doing a lot of. I took at few shots last night with the camera on a tripod just pointing up at the clear night sky. It wouldn't focus so had to put it on manual focus but of course couldn't see anything through the viewfinder as it was too dark so the first couple of pictures were of blurred stars. I noticed the pictures had a red tinge to them, would that be something to do with the white balance, how do I get the sky to look black??!!

Lumix, I remember years ago reading something like what you have described, I am going to have a crack at that in a bit!

Comment

I was reading through the manual when I came to the part all about bulb setting. I tried it out in the house here and reading above seems to fit in with what happened.

Last night I was taking pictures through my telescope, want to know about bulb mode as this is what I wil be doing a lot of. I took at few shots last night with the camera on a tripod just pointing up at the clear night sky. It wouldn't focus so had to put it on manual focus but of course couldn't see anything through the viewfinder as it was too dark so the first couple of pictures were of blurred stars. I noticed the pictures had a red tinge to them, would that be something to do with the white balance, how do I get the sky to look black??!!

Lumix, I remember years ago reading something like what you have described, I am going to have a crack at that in a bit!

The red tinge is almost certainly 'light pollution', in fact, I took a picture a while back, making a feature of this phenomenon

The stars will always come out blurry on an extended exposure, as the earths rotation needs to be taken into consideration.

The best thing to do, if you have photoshop, is to open the image, select levels, then using the black 'dropper' tool, click on the sky, this will do it all for you.

I would be interested to see the pictures that you are referring to. I would always urge you to post any problematice pictures, so as we can properly assess the issue, and then give constructive feedback back to you.
                        sigpic

Comment

There is no actual requirement to focus with sky shots (cant comment on a camera attached to a telescope but I would imagine the same holds true) just set the focus to infinity.
                          The most important thing is a steady camera on a sturdy tripod for night shots and its already been said stars will be a touch blurred because of the earths rotation.
                          As to the red fringing not being an astral photographer myself I don't know if the following advise will help, but some raw converters do have tools to deal with such things caused by lenses, if or not they would help with your problem I don't know.
                          Apart from Photoshop and Lightroom and one or two other expensive software options I am not sure which to recommend. Although I read in AP last week of a very sophisticated editor called Picture Window Pro4 $80.99 thatís around £45 sterling detail and 30 day free trial can be found www.dl-c.com, the features are quite remarkable for the money far more advanced than Elements, but possibly less user friendly.

Patrick

Comment

Originally posted by lumix View Post
                            I'm with Pol on this one. Just wish I had Bulb on my present camera. One good use is photographing interiors. Used to be known as painting with light. Set camera on tripod. Select low ISO and small aperture. Lock shutter open and walk around firing your flash at different parts of the interior, great fun. Also taking photos of flood lit buildings. No flash this time just a very long exposure. People waking by and or cars etc. are not recorded so you get a clear view of your subject. Give it a go, it's a very interesting way to take photos.
                            You make it sound like heaps of fun. After reading this I shall certainly give it a go.
                            -------------------------

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I will try again later tonight taking the pictures and will post them here. I deleted the others as I took them the other night.

I am sure though it is a white balance thing. I remember taking my Ixus 400 out one night and keeping the shutter open for a while and a similar thing happened then.

Comment

Working...
                              X