Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Market-Garden 2012 remembrance paradrop (the planes)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Market-Garden 2012 remembrance paradrop (the planes)

Yes, I was there at Eindhoven Air Base when these modern c-130 Herculesses and C-160 Transalls together with two beautiful 60+ year old C-47 Dakota/Skytrains took to the sky for 3 sorties to drop 1080 paras at the Ginkelse heide near Arnhem. The very same drop zone where the 1st parachute regiment and the Polish were dropped 68 years ago. Below the photos. I hope you like them.

1. C-160 Transall, Germany

2. C-130H Hercules, Poland

3. C-130J Hercules, USAF

4. C-130J Hercules, RAF

5. C-47 Dakota

6. C-47 Dakota, b & w

7. C-47 Skytrain b&w
    Last edited by Ian; 26-09-12, 09:45 PM.
    André de Wit
    The Netherlands

http://eheh0422.webs.com/

Oly E-420
    Oly Zuiko ED 70-300mm 1:4-5.6
    Oly Zuiko ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6
    Oly Zuiko ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6
    Samyang/Delamax 650-1300mm 1:8-16 Manual Telephoto Lens
    Chinon 500mm 1:8-16 Mirror Manual Telephoto Lens

Founder/editor
    Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
    Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
    Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Comment

Re: Market-Garden 2012 remembrance paradrop (the planes)

These are excellent, a superb series of shots. They all have a certain presence - a roar and a vibration you can almost hear and feel.

I especially like the picture of the C-47 Dakota taking off.

Pol

Comment

What's weird about the DC-3 is climbing up and down the aisle as it's quite steep

On one occasion I clearly remember the contrast between the beauty of the islands below as we passed over the sea between Cebu and Leyte and the rather ominous looking dribble of black oil that was creeping along the engine cover

But perhaps the scariest experience was on a Cathay Pacific Convair 770 - I think at Bali Airport aroun 1971 and we had boarded and I was looking out the window as a liquid, which looked very much like fuel, was gushing out from under the wing...

Ian
        Founder/editor

Comment

Wonderful photographs bought to life by the propellers movement.
          -------------------------

Comment

A really nice set of images, if I had to to choose I think they would all be put in the favourite box. #4 I think looks so menacing and that just steals it for me.

Regards. Barr1e

Comment

Originally posted by Pops View Post
              Wonderful photographs bought to life by the propellers movement.
              There seems to be a big debate among aircraft photographers as to whether the propellers should be frozen or not

Ian
              Founder/editor

Comment

Originally posted by Ian View Post
                There seems to be a big debate among aircraft photographers as to whether the propellers should be frozen or not

Ian
                Duh. Another one of those 'right way and wrong way to do it' debates that eventually ends up with another 'rule' to pass down through the generations.

Pol

Comment

Hi Ian, do you have any pictures of the planes from way back when?

Nice set of pics here. I have a friend who flys the Herc for the RAF, I will ask her if she was there!

Comment

Originally posted by ekkl View Post
                    Hi Ian, do you have any pictures of the planes from way back when?

Nice set of pics here. I have a friend who flys the Herc for the RAF, I will ask her if she was there!
                    Sadly, not that I am aware of. I do have some of my father's slides somewhere which may have some shots, but they aren't accessible at the moment. He also has some but lives in the Far East.

Ian
                    Founder/editor

Comment

Originally posted by Barr1e View Post
                      A really nice set of images, if I had to to choose I think they would all be put in the favourite box. #4 I think looks so menacing and that just steals it for me.

Regards. Barr1e
                      Completely agree.

As for propellors, moving adds something to these images that static wouldn't.

Comment

Thanks for the memories! My first flight was in C-47 (civilian version DC-3) in late October 1946 from Milwaukee to Madison, Wisconsin. I was five days old. My first transatlantic flight was ten years later in a DC-3 from NYC to Germany. Over the years I logged a few military jumps out of C-130s (twice out of C-141 jets) and many, many jumps out of DC-3s. I may have some sort of record for the most time logged in a plane between two jumps. In 1968 I flew in a C-130 from Tampa to Indian Springs, Nevada and jumped. A week later I flew (again in C-130) from Tampa around Cuba and then jumped into Ria Hata, Panama. Total flight time was something like 17 hours for the two jumps. In Marana, Arizona in 1968 I got to be in the first group of sport jumpers ever to jump a C-46.

Here's one of my favorite shots. I only wish I had been looking at the camera. We were making a jump from 12,500 feet over Zephyrhills, Florida in 1975 from a DC-3. A window was missing and the pilot's girl friend stuck her camera out to get this shot of me leading a group of 30 jumpers about to exit.

Last edited by patmoore; 11-10-12, 12:27 PM.
                        If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much room.
                        GoldenYearsGeek.com

Comment

Mad, mad as a bag of frogs! That's all. Perfectly good seats in a plane to sit on without jumping out of it!
                          Just because cliches are cliches does not make them wrong. I do like walking in the rain.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBull1875 View Post
                            Mad, mad as a bag of frogs! That's all. Perfectly good seats in a plane to sit on without jumping out of it!
                            Ummm..... Most of our jump planes had the seats removed...
                            If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much room.
                            GoldenYearsGeek.com

Comment

Originally posted by patmoore View Post
                              Ummm..... Most of our jump planes had the seats removed...
                              As soon as I posted that I knew that would be the response. Makes it even blooming madder!! Not only do they throw people out, they throw perfectly good chairs out as well. Mad I tell ye.
                              Just because cliches are cliches does not make them wrong. I do like walking in the rain.

Comment

Working...
                              X