Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Technically Flawed - But what would you do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Technically Flawed - But what would you do?

Im sure we all strive to make our images look the best they can be, and with digital its easy to alter a picture on the computer, or is it?
    Its very rarely I post an image on here without giving it some form of tweek or another on photoshop, and Im sure you all do the same.
    Now I admit that Im pretty rubbish at in depth alterations in photoshop I do the basics and that seems to work for me, Im learning slowly

I took this image yesterday at a party and its Thomas's cousin Alysia, as I was shooting into the light from the window I used flash to expose the face like you would.

My point is that it was a candid moment, it was never going to happen again or be staged, so how would you alter or make good this image? Could I have done anything different 'in camera' to improve the image?

Personally I loved the way the light exposed the hair, and would probably leave it as it is. But what would you do to make this image better.

Have a go, post your alterations, lets see what you come up with.

http://www.ftmphotography.co.uk

Re: Technically Flawed - But what would you do?

Hi Ash, very nice and very dificult picture. I cature your image and opened it with CS3 in camera raw plugin. I used the following values: exposure:1,25, Recovery:62, Fill light:32, Blacks:11, Brightness; +9, Contrast:-3, Clarity:+12 Vibrance:+14 and saturation: -10. Then I went to Image menu---adjustments---Shadow / Highlights and used the following values: first, clic "show more options". In the shadow controls: all to zero. In highlights controls: amount: 3%, Tonal width: 39%, Radius: 6 and below, in Midtone Contrast: -20. Close. After all I applied a little luminance sharpening. Please try yourself. Regards Horacio
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by ash View Post
      Im sure we all strive to make our images look the best they can be, and with digital its easy to alter a picture on the computer, or is it?
      Its very rarely I post an image on here without giving it some form of tweek or another on photoshop, and Im sure you all do the same.
      Now I admit that Im pretty rubbish at in depth alterations in photoshop I do the basics and that seems to work for me, Im learning slowly

I took this image yesterday at a party and its Thomas's cousin Alysia, as I was shooting into the light from the window I used flash to expose the face like you would.

My point is that it was a candid moment, it was never going to happen again or be staged, so how would you alter or make good this image? Could I have done anything different 'in camera' to improve the image?

Personally I loved the way the light exposed the hair, and would probably leave it as it is. But what would you do to make this image better.

Charming shot Ash

As this was a grab shot with no time to confider the the exposure properly its very good.
      If you had had the time, set the exposure in manual for the background and use fill in flash at the same aperture this would have balanced background and foreground.
      Anyway blown highlights are lost and unrecoverable, so my solution crop out as much of the background as possible. Then I adjusted in Lightroom, lowered the exposure a stop increased saturation +7, Vibrancy +19 brightness +11, contrast +9, opened in CS3 and brightened the eyes a touch.
      The new magical brush in Lightroom didn't work as well as I had hoped in this case.

Patrick
      Attached Files

Comment

well, if your not going to be showing it off or anything ash, i would leave it as is.

I think the guys have recovered what can be nicely, but to me, the look of her t-shirt appears as if something has been spilt down it. I like it as it is.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by coupekid View Post
          well, if your not going to be showing it off or anything ash, i would leave it as is.

I think the guys have recovered what can be nicely, but to me, the look of her t-shirt appears as if something has been spilt down it. I like it as it is.
          Afraid I don't agree Ben. The image can definately be improved, though at the end of the day its all down to personal interpretation and choice. I was thinking along the same lines as Patrick, and would crop it. In fact I imported into LR2 then using the rotate tool it crops much of the offending top section off., but also helps with straightening things a bit. Had Ash had more time he would no doubt have done this in camera. I haven't been so severe with other adjustments as Pat and Horacio though, preferring to keep some of the warm skin tones etc.

Stephen

sigpic

Check out my BLOG too

Comment

The only thing i find off putting is the hair is so light. Anyway not sure what you will make of this but here is my edit.
            Attached Files
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/petebphotos/

Comment

Here's mine !!
              Attached Files

Comment

I haven't looked at what anyone else has done and I'm not very good with Photoshop.

Anyway, here is my take. I wish the sides weren't straight. However, this is my idea.
                Attached Files
                Audrey

https://www.flickr.com/photos/autumn36/

Comment

How interesting now I have allowed myself to look at them all.

I think the skin tones need preserving as she is so young. It really is a delightful photograph.

Basically, I straightened, cropped to try to get the eyes on the thirds, added a vignette and then made a mess of blurring the background.

All these things I intended to do, but I think the vignette should have been last and the blurring not an afterthought.

I used levels in CS3 just a touch and 8% smart sharpen.
                  Audrey

Comment

Thank you so much for all your time and effort, I think horacio's and patrick's tweeking was a little harsh for my personal taste, I liked the subtle alteration's of stephen's and even better I thought was autumn's shot which worked with the overexposure to make it almost as if it was how it was meant to be shot, the sides being straight is not a problem, I no how to sort that.
                    Ill have another tinker considering all your input and post one that I'm happy with.
                    Thanks again
                    Ash.

Comment

I decided to work with the over exposure rather than try to correct it, I guess sometimes breaking the rules will work, I used the clone stamp on soft to erase the background and decided to get rid of the flowers top right which did not really have any detail and felt it did not add to the shot, I think Im pleased with the white soft approach with Alysia!
                      Thanks again, Im going to print this off for Alysia's mum for a keeper to be framed!
                      Ash.

Comment

Glad you liked my take Ash. I think Alysia's mum will be very pleased with your treatment. It's so dreamy and definitely a keeper.
                        Audrey

Comment

Before (above) and my version (below)

I simply reset the black point using the histogram in Photoshop, and adjusted the brightness slightly, nothing else. I quite like the composition as it is.

Ian
                          Founder/editor
                          Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
                          Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
                          Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
                          Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Comment

Originally posted by Ian View Post

Before (above) and my version (below)

I simply reset the black point using the histogram in Photoshop, and adjusted the brightness slightly, nothing else. I quite like the composition as it is.

Ian
                            Actually, I did reduce the saturation slightly But no highlight/shadow tools were used.

Ian
                            Founder/editor

Comment

I decided to work with the over exposure rather than try to correct it, I guess sometimes breaking the rules will work, I used the clone stamp on soft to erase the background and decided to get rid of the flowers top right which did not really have any detail and felt it did not add to the shot, I think Im pleased with the white soft approach with Alysia!
                              Thanks again, Im going to print this off for Alysia's mum for a keeper to be framed!
                              Ash.
                              Now that's a result

Ian
                              Founder/editor

Comment

Working...
                              X