White Balance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: White Balance

Again whats been said, shoot raw, personally I shoot both raw and jpeg, with auto wb, its not very often its wrong, but when it is, its usually on indoor shots with diferent types of lighting.
    You say that you started shooting raw but it took too long to write the files.
    You might want to see if there is a firmware update for your camera, this may solve your problem of write times to the card.
    cheers
    Ash.
    http://www.ftmphotography.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Autumn View Post
      It's only a hobby for me Ian and I am also quite a lazy photographer. I think I might find carrying heavy lenses around a big of a fag.

I particularly like my Fuji Finepix S9500 as it has a 300 mm build in lens which copes with most of my needs.

When we were in Hong Kong earlier this year Roy suggested I got a DSLR. I was looking at the Canon D400 with the kit lens. I could have got it for 280. When the shopkeeper knew what I had he couldn't understand why I wanted to change.

It was possibly because of the kit lens. He would have liked to sell me a lens that cost more than the body. In the end, we agreed the price on the kit lens package and when he looked on his computer, he only had the demo model. I was relieved and we both had a good laugh, because it had got a bit fraught at times.
      I cut my real teeth with the Fuji S9500. It took some time to get the best out of the camera - one really had to work at it. If your recent shots from Hoi Nam were taken on yours you really have found the sweet spot along with a good eye for the subject matter.

Regards. Barr1e
      Regards. Barr1e

ps We were out for a meal this evening with a glass or two - am I seeing double above?

Comment

Ian,
        I have commented on this before in other threads. When I submit shots for critique, which I do on TWIP and ePhotozine, critics of b & w pictures often say "the highlights are burnt out". This is because many people, even those who calibrate their screens, have the screen brightness set far too high. If a b & w picture has its highlights adjusted to 245 in CS3 there is no way they can be burnt out when viewed on screen. My Samtron LCD monitor is set at 35% of its maximum brightness to get good print matching.
        It's quite annoying, but I've learnt to ignore it.

Roger

Comment

Originally posted by ash View Post
          Again whats been said, shoot raw, personally I shoot both raw and jpeg, with auto wb, its not very often its wrong, but when it is, its usually on indoor shots with diferent types of lighting.
          You say that you started shooting raw but it took too long to write the files.
          You might want to see if there is a firmware update for your camera, this may solve your problem of write times to the card.
          cheers
          Ash.
          Thanks Ash, I will look into that. I also still use my G3 which takes a long time to write up anyway, but I am very fond of the tilt and turn screen as with the Fuji, but the Fuji doesn't have quite the flexibility of the Canon.
          Audrey

https://www.flickr.com/photos/autumn36/

Comment

Originally posted by rogleale View Post
            Ian,
            I have commented on this before in other threads. When I submit shots for critique, which I do on TWIP and ePhotozine, critics of b & w pictures often say "the highlights are burnt out". This is because many people, even those who calibrate their screens, have the screen brightness set far too high. If a b & w picture has its highlights adjusted to 245 in CS3 there is no way they can be burnt out when viewed on screen. My Samtron LCD monitor is set at 35% of its maximum brightness to get good print matching.
            It's quite annoying, but I've learnt to ignore it.

Roger
            You make a good point, Rog. Both the LCDs I have used this year are set to minimum brightness.

Ian
            Founder/editor
            Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
            Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
            Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
            Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Comment

Working...
            X