Wide Angle Lens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wide Angle Lens

I'm shopping for a WA zoom for my Nikon D50. Would you buy the Sigma again? If not, what might you put on your short list to investigate? Thanks for the (free) advice; and I do remember the old saw: you get what you pay for!

Joe

Comment

I have not as yet had time to look through the contents of the site. When finding this thread I realise the wealth of information that must be contained in dpnow.

Anne and I recently purchased an 11-22 (22-44) for our Olympus E-510's. This thread in just a few minutes has given us more food for thought. Thanks.

Regards. Barr1e

Comment

Originally posted by Autumn View Post
        A few years ago I bought this:

Amazon.co.uk: Canon WC DC58N - Converter: Electronics & Photo

for my Canon G3.

I don't really think I know when to use it.

I used it in a fairly long distance shot of fishermen loading their catch, whereas my husband used just say 35mm equivalent and got a lot better pic. Also, I thought it should be used, say for landscapes to get more of the picture in, but now I think I see people using WA lenses on buildings, fairly close up to get more dynamic angles or low angles on cars to make them look more arty.

What should WA lenses really be used for?
        I learned how important it is to have a wide angle lens while I was on vacation in Philadelphia PA. They have someof the narrowest strets I have seen anywhere I traveled. Thewide angle 10-22 made it possible to fit the buildings I wanted to photograph into the viewfinder without being able to back up any furthur. A wide angle serves you well when in a small room where you have say a group of people you could not otherwise fit in the picture. I like the effect I get using a wide angle when shooting tall objects such as sky scrapers.

Comment

Thanks pcimaging, I am going on a cruise to the North Cape soon and will try it in the small old towns and possibly down the fjords.
          Audrey

https://www.flickr.com/photos/autumn36/

Comment

Originally posted by Autumn View Post
            Thanks pcimaging, I am going on a cruise to the North Cape soon and will try it in the small old towns and possibly down the fjords.
            Audrey, I think that sounds exciting. I have not sen the area before. Maybe I will get lucky and you will share some of your captured memories with us here on DPnow. Have fun...................

Comment

although i recommend using a UV/Skylight on a lens at all times to protect it,
              i don't on a wide angle. i have found that it tends to make sides soft on length of the rectangle and could cause big problems especially with group shots.

Comment

Working...
              X