X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Night Photography problems

Originally posted by Patrick View Post
    Now Ian watch it

Here's one I took in York about two years ago, I may have posted it before I can't remember.

800ISO, f4.5, 1/8sec

No tripod stood the camera on a bridge wall and very carefully made the exposure.

Patrick
    Ah! - I didn't want you thinking I was trying to teach gran to suck eggs

Nice picture, Patrick - my only comment is why use ISO 800? My logic is that besides increased noise, a high ISO like 800 will not do any favours to saturation and dynamic range. Assuming the camera was perfectly still on the wall, I'd have gone for the lowest ISO setting and been content with a longer exposure (as it would already be pretty long).

Ian
    Founder/editor
    Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
    Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
    Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Comment

Originally posted by Ian View Post
      Ah! - I didn't want you thinking I was trying to teach gran to suck eggs

Nice picture, Patrick - my only comment is why use ISO 800? My logic is that besides increased noise, a high ISO like 800 will not do any favours to saturation and dynamic range. Assuming the camera was perfectly still on the wall, I'd have gone for the lowest ISO setting and been content with a longer exposure (as it would already be pretty long).

Ian
      Even my egg sucking skills can sometimes get it wrong.

The reason was a failing memory I had been using 800ISO in the railway museum and simply forgot to change it.

Patrick

Comment

It worked well Patrick. It's a love picture.
        Audrey

https://www.flickr.com/photos/autumn36/

Comment

Even my egg sucking skills can sometimes get it wrong.

The reason was a failing memory I had been using 800ISO in the railway museum and simply forgot to change it.

Patrick
          Been there, done that

Ian
          Founder/editor
          Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
          Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
          Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
          Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Comment

Well yes, a rescued image will remain just that a rescued image, however much will depend on what is wanted, if it were me a 6x4 just wouldn't be of any interest.
            These night shots don't go away and remain constant as the artificial light is what they are about, it doesn't really matter if its wet or dry although wet could be more interesting.
            The answer is for Gina go back and take more pictures but with a tripod and learn by the experience.

What it could be used for would be a very good backdrop for a composite picture, now there is a thought.

Patrick
            Oh yes it would be eminently suitable, Nice one.
            Catch Ya Later
            Tinka

Comment

Originally posted by coupekid View Post
              If anyone has any recomendations for a nice reasonably priced tripod for Gina, I would like to hear by the way, I am getting one for Christmas! My two tripods have now become bipods!

Budget is pretty broad for me as I can always bung a little extra in, but around 50quid would be nice.

If you're looking for something reasonably stable, with careful use, and also at a reasonable price you might like to have a look at the Velbon Sherpa range.

We have a Velbon Sherpa 760 here that we usually leave in the car boot or under a campervan bed - so we almost always have something available if we don't have the Manfrotto tripod or monopod with us.

The Velbon 760 has an integral 3-way pan/tilt head (with a metal QR plate) and can hold a load of up to 4Kg.

Obviously it's not as good as the Manfrotto (I have the 055ProB) but the velbon is nevertheless a useful tripod imho when used with care. It's also a reasonable price at around 80-90, complete with its integral pan/tilt head. The Velbon is also useful for the off-camera flash when I have the camera mounted on the Manfrotto ... so it's served us well down the years and still does, good value for the money.

Have a look at the entire Velbon 'Sherpa' range at Warehouse Express. They price range is about 50-150.

Pol

Comment

Originally posted by coupekid View Post
                Just to add to what Patrick has said there, if you have image stabalisation when using a tripod, turn it off. Also a remote release is desirable, if you dont have one, stick your camera on timed mode. Touching the camera, even slightly to push the button can cause camera shake.
                Coupekid,
                Just been browsing through this months EOS Magazine and came across this.
                Like you I thought you should always switch off the IS !!
                Ken
                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                X