Photo Montage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photo Montage

I recently learn a simple technique from a website, so I gave it a whirl this afternoon, as I was trying to show some of my hobbyist friends (a watch collector site) my new pride and joy. I used a Canon G7 on a tripod, then played with my desktop daylight lamp, so that I captured number of images with different lighting effects.

Cnce opened up in photoshop, I simply drag all the 3 images on to one layer, and by using layer modes and rubber (for unwanted areas), I was able to make this final image with all the detail that I otherwise find difficult to lit with a single light source.

Danny

Re: Photo Montage

Danny, that is an amazing demonstration of HDR photography! I'm highly impressed. Can you point me to the website where you learned this technique?

Thanks,
    Ambrose
    moderator of the Canon G7 Yahoo Group
    http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/CanonG7/

Comment

Hi Ambrose,

I picked up the technique in www.lynda.com, can't find the article I was looking at, but it was a demonstration using this technique on a whiskey bottle. I have adapted the principle of the technique and not a direct copy, as once you understand the layer and mode effect, you can create your own work flow.

In the above image, I use the circular selection tool to cut out the watch face with the green glow, then increase the contrast and removed the G7 chrome ring by stamp tool.

Hope this helps.

Danny

Comment

Originally posted by ambroseliao View Post
        Danny, that is an amazing demonstration of HDR photography! I'm highly impressed. Can you point me to the website where you learned this technique?

Thanks,
        Ambrose
        moderator of the Canon G7 Yahoo Group
        http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/CanonG7/
        Hi Ambrose and welcome to DPNow!

Danny is a very talented man he's also mad keen on (expensive) watches!

On a serious note, the maker's logo in the final version is obscured, whch I regard as a problem with the picture. What do you think?

I'll have a look at your Yahoo group today!

Ian
        Founder/editor
        Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
        Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
        Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
        Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Comment

On a serious note, the maker's logo in the final version is obscured, which I regard as a problem with the picture. What do you think?

Ian[/QUOTE]

Yes Ian, this photo was taken for a completely purpose, I was replying a watch forum, so I didn't take as much care and attention to what I was looking for. I could spend more time to adjust the lighting and could use with the image with the best face or part of it.

Danny

ps. I enjoy all sorts of watches regardless of price, they don't have to be 'expensive'

Comment

[QUOTE=Ian;16179]Hi Ambrose and welcome to DPNow!

On a serious note, the maker's logo in the final version is obscured, whch I regard as a problem with the picture. What do you think?

Hi Ian,

You have a nice site here. I like the look and features.

As to Danny Chau's HDR photo, I don't have any problems with it. Like Danny said, it was a quick technique he wanted to share. I am shocked at how different the final image looks compared to the 3 originals! If he wanted to spend more time on it, I'm sure Danny would have been able to bring out the logo and the other text on the face of the watch.

Ambrose
            (looking forward to more of Danny's images!)

Comment

Originally posted by Danny Chau View Post
              On a serious note, the maker's logo in the final version is obscured, which I regard as a problem with the picture. What do you think?

Ian
              Yes Ian, this photo was taken for a completely purpose, I was replying a watch forum, so I didn't take as much care and attention to what I was looking for. I could spend more time to adjust the lighting and could use with the image with the best face or part of it.

Danny

ps. I enjoy all sorts of watches regardless of price, they don't have to be 'expensive' [/quote]

Yeah, but we have a different idea of what expensive means all my watches in recent memory have cost less than 25 O

Even 20 years ago your wrists were weighed down by expensive timepieces - remember the one that I broke the strap - I thought I'd bankrupted myself!

Ian (aka cheapskate)
              Founder/editor

Comment

[quote=ambroseliao;16209]
                Originally posted by Ian View Post
                Hi Ambrose and welcome to DPNow!

Hi Ian,

You have a nice site here. I like the look and features.

As to Danny Chau's HDR photo, I don't have any problems with it. Like Danny said, it was a quick technique he wanted to share. I am shocked at how different the final image looks compared to the 3 originals! If he wanted to spend more time on it, I'm sure Danny would have been able to bring out the logo and the other text on the face of the watch.

Ambrose
                (looking forward to more of Danny's images!)
                Thanks Ambrose - where are you from? My aunt is also a Liao; her late husband's family name.

Ian
                Founder/editor

Comment

I was born in Taiwan but live in Washington DC now. I see from your profile that you're based in the UK. Are you Asian as well?

Ambrose (perhaps we should take this offline?!?)

Comment

Haha! It's getting a little off-topic

My Mother is from the Philippines (Philipinno-Chinese) but my father is British (though now living in Thailand - it's a long story!). My mother's sister married into the Liao familiy in the Philippines, but there are relatives in China and, I understand, Taiwan, but I guess there are a lot of Liaos

Ian
                    Founder/editor

Comment

nice work Danny, and well presented, I might have to rtry this method myself.

I have to admit to being a bit of a watch fan myself (I even wrote to Jim'll Fix It as a kid to see a multi-functional watch being made, sadly I was never chosen!), but I haven't heard of Enzo Mechana before.

This is my pride and joy posted for your interest. A lot of people dont realise just how thin these are, so I have pictured it against a pound coin for size.
                      Attached Files
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by coupekid View Post
                        nice work Danny, and well presented, I might have to rtry this method myself.

I have to admit to being a bit of a watch fan myself (I even wrote to Jim'll Fix It as a kid to see a multi-functional watch being made, sadly I was never chosen!), but I haven't heard of Enzo Mechana before.

This is my pride and joy posted for your interest. A lot of people dont realise just how thin these are, so I have pictured it against a pound coin for size.
                        Thanks coupekid (is that how everyone refer you as? forgive my ignorance if you do use a first name, please let me know), I have been collecting all sorts of watches since I was in my late teens, for the most parts in the last 15 years, I collect watches with great mechanical movements, these include 'El Promero' by Zenith and Jaeger LeCoultre's reverso. And the latest trend, or at least by some of us (watch fans), main stream brand names are no longer our aim, so we kind of looking for design strong, small number but inexpensive producers around the world. The latest one is the Enzo Mechana, a divers watch for desktop divers like myself , here is the website http://www.enzomechana.com/, the designer actually respond on a public website (which is rare), and I actually like his working ethics, hence the latest addition.

Once I finish my latest batch of work, I will try to re-photograph some of my collection for you, both interest in the new technique and my watch collection, as my 1TB drive went on me, most of my recent files is in there, hope that the data recovery chap will save my day.

Best,
                        Danny

Comment

Originally posted by Danny Chau View Post
                          Thanks coupekid (is that how everyone refer you as? forgive my ignorance if you do use a first name, please let me know), I have been collecting all sorts of watches since I was in my late teens, for the most parts in the last 15 years, I collect watches with great mechanical movements, these include 'El Promero' by Zenith and Jaeger LeCoultre's reverso. And the latest trend, or at least by some of us (watch fans), main stream brand names are no longer our aim, so we kind of looking for design strong, small number but inexpensive producers around the world. The latest one is the Enzo Mechana, a divers watch for desktop divers like myself , here is the website http://www.enzomechana.com/, the designer actually respond on a public website (which is rare), and I actually like his working ethics, hence the latest addition.

Once I finish my latest batch of work, I will try to re-photograph some of my collection for you, both interest in the new technique and my watch collection, as my 1TB drive went on me, most of my recent files is in there, hope that the data recovery chap will save my day.

Best,
                          Danny
                          Cheers Danny, that would be great to see! And best of luck with the drive, I just hope that the drive wasnt too full, thats a hell of a lot of data!

(By the way, most people call me Ben on here )
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X