Super-wide angle bokeh blur?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super-wide angle bokeh blur?

Another extreme wide angle shot - but a blurred background of a sort is still possible. Of course I was only a few inches away from the decorative cabbage plant...

Ian
    Founder/editor
    Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
    Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
    Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Re: Super-wide angle bokeh blur?

Ian i think the only way you can get any DOF with an extreme W/A is to litererally stick it inches away .
    For any on here who don't know , the general rule of thumb is , the wider the lense the harder it is to get any Depth of Field , no matter what F stop you use .
    Most of my lenses are ''fast'' (either 2.0 or 2.8 apertures . but i struggle to get any DOF with any lense wider than 17mm , i can get a useable shot my my 17mm set at 2.8 , but any wider and it sharpens up .
    Of course you can use the selection tool and blur tool in P.S.

B..

Comment

Re: Super-wide angle bokeh blur?

Originally posted by bigbob View Post
      Ian i think the only way you can get any DOF with an extreme W/A is to litererally stick it inches away .
      For any on here who don't know , the general rule of thumb is , the wider the lense the harder it is to get any Depth of Field , no matter what F stop you use .
      Most of my lenses are ''fast'' (either 2.0 or 2.8 apertures . but i struggle to get any DOF with any lense wider than 17mm , i can get a useable shot my my 17mm set at 2.8 , but any wider and it sharpens up .
      Of course you can use the selection tool and blur tool in P.S.

B..
      Hi Bob, of course you mean 'shallow' DOF You're absolutely right, of course - sensor size (or, to be more accurate, the size of the sensor photosites as well as the size of the sensor) and the focal length of the lens have a big impact on the shallowness of the depth of field. The two major factors are the focal length and the sensor size. As a sensor gets smaller, the DOF of any lens at any focal length becomes relatively greater. But DOF is always greater at shorter focal lengths as well.

My picture was taken using a lens at f=7mm, on an Olympus E-400, which has the smallest DSLR sensor of all. The equivalence factor is 2x, so the angle of view is equivalent to a 14mm lens on a 35mm full frame camera or about 9mm for an APS-C sensor camera (most of the other affordable DSLRs out there).

BUt the picture does show, that even with a particularly small sensor DSLR and a super-wide angle lens, shallow DOF effects are not impossible

Ian
      Founder/editor
      Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
      Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
      Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
      Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Comment

Working...
      X