Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In Camera Sharpening

Hi All,

I have a freind who is at college, and one of the projects he is doing involves the use of in-camera sharpening, and what results you can see.

He has done this on his 20D canon, and hasnt really seen any differences at all though! (despite a 100% crop)

I am going to try on my 350D, but thought I would ask to see if anyone has tried it, what the advantages/disadvantes there are, and what results there may be that we should look for.

Thanks!

Ben
    sigpic

Re: In Camera Sharpening

I moved it up one notch on the 400D but didn't notice any difference.
    -------------------------

Comment

Always turn my in-sharpening off as i've found i can get better and more varied results using several different techniques in Photoshop .
      B..

Comment

Originally posted by coupekid View Post
        Hi All,

I have a freind who is at college, and one of the projects he is doing involves the use of in-camera sharpening, and what results you can see.

He has done this on his 20D canon, and hasnt really seen any differences at all though! (despite a 100% crop)

I am going to try on my 350D, but thought I would ask to see if anyone has tried it, what the advantages/disadvantes there are, and what results there may be that we should look for.

Thanks!

Ben

Hi Ben,

I experiment with my cameras long time ago and the results from in camera sharpening are noticeable. Though I prefer to keep the camera sharpening in "low" since it introduces less noise and add sharpening to the images later on an image editor if needed which introduces less noise than the in camera sharpening.
        In camera sharpening except slightly sharpening the images, introduces also noise artifacts as sharpening increases. The use of denoising software is a solution, but what is the purpose of adding noise in the first place due to in camera sharpening and then take it off later by the use of denoising software?
        It is just an unnecessary double job.

Regards

George

Comment

Originally posted by coupekid View Post
          Hi All,

Thanks!

Ben
          The Panasonic FZ20 I use gives a touch to much sharpening when set to high. Normal or (soft, which I select for portraits) give the best results. With in camera sharpening there is no fine control, so prefer to sharpen if needed in the editor. My camera dose have a bit of a noisy sensor and in-camera sharpening seems to increase the visible noise.

Comment

Ben-

www.dpreview.com has begun posting not only individual camera results, but comparisons as well. Might be worth a glance.

Joe

Comment

Hi All,

Many thanks for all the comments and suggestions!

I have passed all these on to my freind.

Cheers all!!

Ben
              sigpic

Comment

Hi Ben,
                This is an interesting subject for me, because I enjoy the challenge of tuning a camera's JPEG settings to get close to final acceptibility. What I have found is that cameras vary widely in how they sharpen or sharpen with NR. The differences you will find between your 350D and the 20D will probably be a description of the target market for each model. I suppose it is worthwhile finding out where the in-camera sharpening introduces artifacts and how any increase in sharpening impacts your usual minimum PP work and the final output you work for. I am playing with a new camera and I haven't yet gotten around to the sharpening component variables.
                Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Ross View Post
                  Hi Ben,
                  This is an interesting subject for me, because I enjoy the challenge of tuning a camera's JPEG settings to get close to final acceptibility. What I have found is that cameras vary widely in how they sharpen or sharpen with NR. The differences you will find between your 350D and the 20D will probably be a description of the target market for each model. I suppose it is worthwhile finding out where the in-camera sharpening introduces artifacts and how any increase in sharpening impacts your usual minimum PP work and the final output you work for. I am playing with a new camera and I haven't yet gotten around to the sharpening component variables.
                  Bob
                  I recall Nikon explaining that the D80 has more sharpening and more saturation, by default than the D200. This is a considered approach that presumes a target owner's likely preferences. But of course you can customise you camera as you like.

Ian
                  Founder/editor
                  Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
                  Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
                  Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
                  Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Comment

Working...
                  X