Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New printer required.

It's time that I bought a new printer.
    The printer that the family has been using, is now getting old, and getting the darn thing to actually print is a pain.
    It used to work, wi-fi from all the families PC's and lap tops. It now only works from my pc, and then after having to go into the troubleshoot section and clearing the spool etc.
    I have tried to update my printer. But still it isn't working properly.
    To top it all. My son needs to print fairly often for his Uni work. The ink cartridges are always empty when I go to use it.

So my intention is to purchase a cartridge less printer. It seems that buying ink bottles are far cheaper than cartridges.

I don't want to spend a fortune. I have been looking at reviews on HP, Epsom and Canon.
    The reviews are a nightmare If they are to be believed. HP, Epsom and Canon are all really good, and a load of rubbish My head is spinning. I wish I hadn't read any reviews now

Does anyone have any experience with ink tanked printers ?

Re: New printer required.

Sorry, no experience with ink tanked printers. I've had an Epson Artisan 1430 for at least a half dozen years and have been very happy with it. All our PCs are networked to it. It takes six ink cartidges but I buy the budget versions and can't tell the difference from the OEM product. It produces 13 x 19 borderless prints.

This printer looks like the current version of what I have although they recommend only using Epson ink which is expensive.
    If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much room.
    GoldenYearsGeek.com

Comment

Thanks for that, Patmoore.
      The price is about what I was looking to spend.

But main problem is it takes cartridges, and I really would prefer to purchase a cartridge-less printer.

Checked the reviews on this printer, and saw a very mixed bag of reviews, from great to don't buy.
      Pretty much as I was expecting, as I see the same mixed bag of reviews, with every printer I look at.

Comment

Originally posted by Garry View Post
        Thanks for that, Patmoore.
        The price is about what I was looking to spend.

But main problem is it takes cartridges, and I really would prefer to purchase a cartridge-less printer.

Checked the reviews on this printer, and saw a very mixed bag of reviews, from great to don't buy.
        Pretty much as I was expecting, as I see the same mixed bag of reviews, with every printer I look at.
        Garry I have an Epson ET-2550 printer and must say even though it only uses 4 colour inks the quality is super. Had it nearly three years now and only just had to buy four bottles of ink for it. I enlarge cross stich patterns regularly and some involve 30+ foolscap pages. I also print bank statements every week and any photos required. I recommended it to one of my family and they too are very pleased with it. So although I have not used any other make to compare with it, quite honestly I would not hessite to buy another when the time comes around again. Genuine Epson ink for it is not that expensive. Model number has changed since I got mine and a few upgrades have been applied to the new models. Well worth considering.
        Regards Ron. Live each day as if it was your last. One day you will be right.

Comment

I used to use an HP Photosmart that I fitted with external tanks (with a kit) but the newer ones don't seem to take the kits - HP have become extremely good at detecting and then refusing to work with non HP cartridges or working but only after repeated messages about fake cartridges and the damaged they could cause and constant flushing cleaning to purge the foreign ink. I'll never buy an HP again.

Still the kit worked well - It was a real money saver when I was printing 60+ 4 page colour newsletters every month

Try looking for one on the net for your printer. Amazon do a few for Epsom printers

Comment

I would recommend Epson - they have dependable photo ink technology. Models compatible with UltraChrome pigmented inks are the best. Durabrite are more for text and graphics printing on plain paper.

Maybe 7 or 8 years ago I spent most of my time writing about photo printers but home-printing has become rather unfashionable.

Quite by coincidence I was invited along, as a Which? (the biggest UK consumer product testing organisation) subscriber - not because I review printers - to a seminar on printer testing. It was quite interesting but not that focused on photo printing.

Ian
            Founder/editor
            Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
            Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
            Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
            Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Comment

Thank you all for your words of wisdom.

Yes Rab. You have a valid point about HP. ( I was close to purchasing one )

Thanks, Ron. After your review. I now have a Epson ET-2650 sitting along side my PC. doing the 20 minute ink charge thing.

Looking forward to trying it later.

Thanks for your confirmation on Epson printers, Ian. Bought one !

Comment

Thank you all for your words of wisdom.

Yes Rab. You have a valid point about HP. ( I was close to purchasing one )

Thanks, Ron. After your review. I now have a Epson ET-2650 sitting along side my PC. doing the 20 minute ink charge thing.

Looking forward to trying it later.

Thanks for your confirmation on Epson printers, Ian. Bought one !
                I'm sure you will be pleased with it. Quality photo prints depends a lot on the paper you use. Obviously the inks are best on Epson paper, but I have used other makes and got very pleasing results. My personal choice is Pro-Jet Gloss. I have prints, made when I first got the printer, framed on my wall and they look as good today as they did when first printed 3 years ago. Two years ago I produced three different calendars for my neighbours each with their pets on. They stood up to a years use and are still hanging as they like the pictures I did. Pro-Jet also do a self adhesive gloss paper which I find great for mounting and framing.

Comment

Thanks, Ron.

The printer is a lot faster than my previous printer.

Given it a bit of a try. Printed photos straight form my phone. Works from my pc and families laptops.

Very pleased.

Comment

Thanks, Ron.

The printer is a lot faster than my previous printer.

Given it a bit of a try. Printed photos straight form my phone. Works from my pc and families laptops.

Very pleased.

Comment

Working...
                    X