EPSON STYLUS PHOTO 1290 Won't print on glossy paper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EPSON STYLUS PHOTO 1290 Won't print on glossy paper

My 1290 printer has stopped printing on card or glossy paper. It sounds as though it is printing, but the paper is just sitting there and I can rarely push it through.

The printing on paper is OK.

I have tried different settings and also printing from different software, to no avail.

I have also tried to download new drivers, but every time I do that it seems I have to pay, even though they say free download.

Windows 7 OS.

Does anyone have any ideas how I could address this problem?
    Audrey

https://www.flickr.com/photos/autumn36/

Re: EPSON STYLUS PHOTO 1290 Won't print on glossy paper

From your description of the fault, I would suspect the rollers that grip the paper are the problem. You can buy cleaning sheets to pass through your printer that may help cure the problem. At your own risk try a cotton wool bud soaked in methylated spirits and try cleaning the guide rollers and the main drive roller. My guess is the rubber has hardened and gone shiny, which would cause it to slip and not feed the paper though the printer.
    Regards Ron. Live each day as if it was your last. One day you will be right.

Comment

Thanks Ron. I'll give that a try. I had seen similar suggestions on the internet. I just can't understand why it will pick up normal paper and not glossy or card.
      Audrey

Comment

Two shiny surfaces will slide over each other and card is much thicker and needs more grip to pull it through. Methylated spirits is a great cleaner but very inflammable. Hence my comment "at your own risk".
        Regards Ron. Live each day as if it was your last. One day you will be right.

Comment

My mother in law's 1290 gave up the ghost recently. Maybe it's time for a new printer?

Ian
          Founder/editor
          Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
          Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
          Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
          Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Comment

How dare you!
            Audrey

Comment

Originally posted by Autumn View Post
              How dare you!

You've certainly been lucky with that printer. I had one too but mine died after approximately 4 years. It was also a leaky thing, always making a mess on the printer stand, all over the prints and ink all over my hands much of the time.

Pol

Comment

Working...
              X