Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help - Printer recommendation.?

Re: Help - Printer recommendation.?

Hi Dennis - are you using anything to calibrate your screen (like a Spyder or Huey colorimiter) or so that when you make adjustments to your image they should match prints well?

Also, what photo paper are you using?

The R360 should be capable of producing very good prints despite its age if, as you say, it hasn't been used much.

Ian
    Founder/editor
    Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
    Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
    Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Comment

Incidentally, it's virtually impossible to buy an A4 ink-jet printer without an integrated scanner these days but even so, you don't need to spend anywhere near £250 - it's more like £50

Ian
      Founder/editor

Comment

Ian thanks for info. Yes I have a Spyder but I did not think it could be used with a flat screen monitor. I have an LG Flatron wide screen 22inch.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by DennisP View Post
            Ian thanks for info. Yes I have a Spyder but I did not think it could be used with a flat screen monitor. I have an LG Flatron wide screen 22inch.
            You should be able to use it with any screen type, and even a projector. If its an older Spyder you may have to update the software.

Read the manual

Patrick

Comment

Dennis - seeing as you are local - I'd be more than happy to pop round and help you calibrate your screen. I think only the very oldest Spyders are incompatible with LCD screens - is yours a Spyder 2? Have you installed the Spyder software on your PC?

Ian
              Founder/editor

Comment

Many thanks Ian and Patrick for]all your advice. I ahv now dug out the Spyder and it is a Spyder2. I have also found the CD software for the Spyder and also the CD for the monitor. However the monitor drivers were out of date for Windows 7 and when I tried to install the Spyder software I got an error message on the screen "Cannot access the registry". So I will have to do some re-thinking and possibly get to get software updates for Windows 7.

Comment

Many thanks Ian and Patrick for]all your advice. I ahv now dug out the Spyder and it is a Spyder2. I have also found the CD software for the Spyder and also the CD for the monitor. However the monitor drivers were out of date for Windows 7 and when I tried to install the Spyder software I got an error message on the screen "Cannot access the registry". So I will have to do some re-thinking and possibly get to get software updates for Windows 7.
                  You should always keep you OS system up to date, by that I don't nessisarily mean buying widows 8 but simply keep your current OS up to date for security reasons. They come out almost on a weekly basis. As to the Spyder software go to the Spyder site and download the latest software campatable with your Spyder 2 same goes for your monitor drivers. You don't require disks these days its all there to download. Which is why Apple have made the very controversial decision to do away with optical drives (CD/DVD reader writers) in their new machines.

Patrick

Comment

Officially it seems that Datacolor doesn't support Spyder2Pro for Windows 7 but there are plenty who report that it does work. Dennis - maybe you simply need the latest version of the software. You can download it here:

http://support.datacolor.com/index.p...r2pro-235--win

Ian
                    Founder/editor

Comment

I give up It looks like I am stuck with a monitor for which I cannot get updated drivers and a Spyder 2 which I cannot use as there again there does not seem to be updates available. Ian - I down loaded the Spyder 2 Pro drivers that you recommended, which installed OK but when I tried to run them I got a screen which asked for a license number which I do not possess.

It looks like I may have to invest in the latest version 4 of the Spyder, but which model. I do not wish to spend a lot of money if I can avoid it.

Comment

OK Dennis - we'll get you sorted one way or another!

Do you know if you are running Windows 7 32-bit or 64 bit?

And what is the software that was supplied with your Spyder2 - is it Spyder2 Pro or Spyder Express?

Ian
                        Founder/editor

Comment

I give up It looks like I am stuck with a monitor for which I cannot get updated drivers and a Spyder 2 which I cannot use as there again there does not seem to be updates available. Ian - I down loaded the Spyder 2 Pro drivers that you recommended, which installed OK but when I tried to run them I got a screen which asked for a license number which I do not possess.

It looks like I may have to invest in the latest version 4 of the Spyder, but which model. I do not wish to spend a lot of money if I can avoid it.
                          The licence number from your old software disk for the Spyder should activate the updated version, or simply install the old software from your disk, then install the new, that way it is likely to pickup your first copy and let the new work.
                          Come on Dennis less of those negative vibes.

Patrick

Comment

Thanks Ian & Patrick for your encouragement. No I have not given up, so here is the state of play. I have stated above I could not get the updated software to run because it asked for a license number which I did not have. So I got onto their website and sent their support a message explaining about the required license. They replied that if I sent them a photo of the Spyder and also one of the USB plug showing the serial no. they would send a new license. I have done this and now await the new license.

Patrick - there is no license number on the old software disk. Ian -I am running Windows 7 64 bit and the Spyder software says on the box Spyder2 Suite v2.2.

Comment

Well done, Dennis - keep us updated. I am sure your problems will be solved eventually!

Ian
                              Founder/editor

Comment

Working...
                              X