X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epson Stylus B1100 A3 Printer - mini review

http://www.ftmphotography.co.uk

Re: Epson Stylus B1100 A3 Printer - mini review

Hi Ash, thanks for this. The Epson B1100 is not pitched at photographers; the 'B' is for 'Business' - it's an office printer and uses Durabrite pigmented inks which are optimised for printing onto plain paper.

So it's interesting to see how you get on with it from a photographic perspective.

Ian
    Founder/editor
    Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
    Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
    Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Comment

Originally posted by Ian View Post
      Hi Ash, thanks for this. The Epson B1100 is not pitched at photographers; the 'B' is for 'Business' - it's an office printer and uses Durabrite pigmented inks which are optimised for printing onto plain paper.

So it's interesting to see how you get on with it from a photographic perspective.

Ian

Comment

An interesting discovery yesterday, I was printing onto the 100gm laser paper b&w images and left the paper setting on glossy, it gave a slight blue overtone to the image, whereas set on matt, gives a very good b&w print with no colour toning at all.
        Incidently this b1100 will print b&w more accurately than my r300.

Comment

Comment

Just a little update if anyone is interested, Ive tried a colour borderless print onto the 100gm a3 paper and the combination of the paper being so thin and it dumping alot more ink onto the very edge of the paper than a b&w print, the paper curls over and gets caught on the guides along the bottom of the feeder after its put the ink on.
            Ive tried borderless as ive got some a3 clip frames.
            So borderless colour prints with standard paper is a NO NO

Comment

Originally posted by ash View Post
              Just a little update if anyone is interested, Ive tried a colour borderless print onto the 100gm a3 paper and the combination of the paper being so thin and it dumping alot more ink onto the very edge of the paper than a b&w print, the paper curls over and gets caught on the guides along the bottom of the feeder after its put the ink on.
              Ive tried borderless as ive got some a3 clip frames.
              So borderless colour prints with standard paper is a NO NO
              Ash, I feel you really need to try a premium photo paper of at least 250gsm. 100gsm paper is too light for the sort of thing you are trying to do, frankly its no more than notepaper or letterhead paper. I'd suggest you buy a small pack of A4 first, it isn't cheap, though somewhere like 7dayshop.com is good value.
              Stephen

sigpic

Check out my BLOG too

Comment

I agree with Stephen - I never print on less than 255 gsm - 280 preferably. It does make a difference
                sigpic

www.imagenary.co.uk
                www.lujos.co.uk

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Bear View Post
                    I agree with Stephen - I never print on less than 255 gsm - 280 preferably. It does make a difference
                    Still on my set of carts that came with the printer and Ive done a fair few a3 prints.
                    Guys this was never about requiring advice on what type of paper to use but trying to accertain the capabilities of the printer, hence the title mini review, but thanks anyway.
                    Ive tried to be honest giving the negatives aswell as positives and I will continue posting on this thread with any thing with the printer that I think could be useful aslong as I am using it.
                    Ash.

Comment

I have not been going mad with printing but ive only just had to change the magenta cart on the printer, not bad to say they said in the shop you dont get proper full cartridges, a bit of a sales ploy me thinks to get you to buy a set when you buy the printer

Comment

Originally posted by JSR View Post
                        We don't think twice about using the HP, but we're practically scared to death of printing anything from our Epsons for fear of going bankrupt. My R1800 hasn't printed anything for about two years now (neither has my Epson colour laser C1100) while, in the meantime, HP get all of our money for the K550 simply because it's better value. Epson need to wise up.

I sometimes think Epson are on a different planet. Cartridge prices go up as capacities go down, they put thimble sized ink in a large-width printer and call it "business" class. I used to be a huge supporter of Epson, but not any more.
                        I agree. I have a R1800 and, after many trial and tribulations with third party ink, now only use Epson but the cost is horrible and I use the printer as little as possible. Except when I have forgotten the club competition and need something instantly my printing is done commercially, in town for small jobs, Photobox for big ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Cap'n Bill View Post
                          I agree. I have a R1800 and, after many trial and tribulations with third party ink, now only use Epson but the cost is horrible and I use the printer as little as possible. Except when I have forgotten the club competition and need something instantly my printing is done commercially, in town for small jobs, Photobox for big ones.
                          It's the same here. I really don't want to risk 3rd party inks in my R1800, but it's been sitting idle for so long because of Epson's prices that it'll probably be unusable when I finally do want to print from it again. I may as well have put cheap third party ones in it and got some use out of it.

At the moment, I'm using third-party inks in a cheap Brother printer. Someone's invented giant-sized cartridges for the printer that can hold 80-100ml of ink in each one (compare that to the 10-11ml of ink in an Epson cartridge). Okay, so it's not going to challenge the likes of the R1800 any time soon, but it indicates what can be done. Odd that only the OEMs fail to see the need for any common sense when it comes to ink.

Comment

There is nothing wrong with 3rd party inks, Ive been using them for years in an epson r300 and now in this b1100, aslong as you use quality epson paper, especially when trying to print b&w, its the photopaper that gives you the colour cast not the inks, if you use epson photopaper, you don't get the colour cast.

Comment

Working...
                            X