Vista & Spyder2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista & Spyder2

I've installed CS3 in the new PC but can't find Adobe Gamma so it can be disabled before installing Spyder2 and calibrating.

I've been doing a bit of googling and it seems one or two (or more) other peeps have been having one or two (or more) problems too.

Anyway - it seems Adobe Gamma sometimes doesn't show in the start menu in Vista and it ain't showing in mine (see attached screenshot for what's showing in mine). So I was wondering if anyone else has just gone ahead and calibrated with the Spyder under the same circumstances and if so, did it all work satisfactorily?

BTW - the attached screenshot was taken from the Colour Confidence website. Note what it says in the bottom paragraph, which I've highlighted in red.

Pol
    Attached Files

Re: Vista & Spyder2

Hi Pol, I believe that CS3 doesn't ship with Adobe Gamma. Peter Lovelock at Colour Confidence confirmed this too when I queried installing Spider2 on CS3.

jo

Comment

Originally posted by jojo View Post
      Hi Pol, I believe that CS3 doesn't ship with Adobe Gamma. Peter Lovelock at Colour Confidence confirmed this too when I queried installing Spider2 on CS3.

jo
      Really? That's interesting! I could've sworn it was there on my previous (XP) PC, the one that recently died. I'm pretty sure I'd disabled it on there before I calibrated and I used the same CS3 installation disc.

So d'ya have CS3 and have you calibrated with the Spyder2 without disabling anything? if so, where was the profile stored. Did it become the monitor default profile?

Pol

Comment

Originally posted by Pol View Post
        Really? That's interesting! I could've sworn it was there on my previous (XP) PC, the one that recently died. I'm pretty sure I'd disabled it on there before I calibrated and I used the same CS3 installation disc.

So d'ya have CS3 and have you calibrated with the Spyder2 without disabling anything? if so, where was the profile stored. Did it become the monitor default profile?

Pol

I just realised my other 'puter and laptop had CS and CS2 in them - so the abobe gamma had been disabled in those previous version. Therefore I suppose the previous settings influenced the appearance and locations of the Spyder profiles when I upgraded to CS3 ... if y'see what I mean.

So maybe I'll just go ahead with the Spyder and let it do its stuff and see what happens. I can always uninstall it later if I don't like what happens. Assuming I don't trash the PC of course.

Pol

Comment

Pol
          Oo-er, don't go too technical on me! Yes, I've CS3 which was originally loaded on to an XP machine and is now on a Vista one. The profile is automatically loaded into the Colour Management file in Control Panel - hope that helps (if you want me to send screen shots you'll have to tell me how to do them!) Check out this link (Section 2: Monitor Calibration & Characterisation, para 3) - you'll need to scroll down.

jo

Comment

Originally posted by jojo View Post
            Oo-er, don't go too technical on me! Yes, I've CS3 which was originally loaded on to an XP machine and is now on a Vista one. The profile is automatically loaded into the Colour Management file in Control Panel - hope that helps (if you want me to send screen shots you'll have to tell me how to do them!) Check out this link (Section 2: Monitor Calibration & Characterisation, para 3) - you'll need to scroll down.

jo

That's very helpful, thanks!

I'd been looking in that colour management folder wondering if CS3 Adobe Gamma might have been directed there on Vista systems just to confuse the old tarts like me.

I'd actually tried to calibrate the monitor before I installed Photoshop but I left it to get on with the job whilst I hung out the washing and the screensaver kicked in while it was reading the colours. I wish you'd seen the profile it created.

Lesson 1 when you get a new PC .... disable the screensaver, especially if yer gonna leave it unaattended to get on with something.

P.S .... to take a screenshot - just press the 'Print Screen' button on yer keyboard or use Ctrl +C. Then open a new file in PS and either go to edit/paste or press Ctrl + V. You can then crop the copy to the required size and save as a Gif or a jpeg in the usual way.

Pol

Comment

I'd actually tried to calibrate the monitor before I installed Photoshop but I left it to get on with the job whilst I hung out the washing and the screensaver kicked in while it was reading the colours. I wish you'd seen the profile it created.

Pol
              Aw, you should have shown us a screen shot of that profile!

Thanks Pol for reminding me how to take screen shots - this time I've saved a little billet doux for future reference!

jo

Comment

Vista isn't very friendly to third party applications that try to impose their own monitor profiles, especially if you have a laptop and so you need one for the built in monitor and one for an external monitor. It's something to do with the way Vista starts up. I was getting very inconsistent results. Sometimes the correct profile would load and sometimes not, then sometimes it would load and then be switched off again!

The work around that I use is a simple free third party applet from XRite (GretagMacbeth, etc.) called displayprofile.exe that lets you switch to any of your saved monitor profiles at the click of the mouse. You can download it from here:

http://www.xrite.com/product_overvie...SoftwareID=539

Ian
                Founder/editor
                Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
                Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
                Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
                Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Comment

Hi Pol,
                  There is another very easy method of taking screen shots in Vista, using the new tool that I overlooked for ages, and now use all the time. It's the snipping tool. Just select the tool, draw a frame around the info you want to keep, and click to save it to the desktop. Then you just have to right click on the saved image, and select 'Open in CS'
                  I use it so often that I have added it to the quick launch bar.

Roger

Comment

Wow, isn't it amazing what's lurking on your 'puter! Thanks for sharing the snipping tool Roger - even I managed to use it

Cheers,
                    jo
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Ian View Post
                      Vista isn't very friendly to third party applications that try to impose their own monitor profiles, especially if you have a laptop and so you need one for the built in monitor and one for an external monitor. It's something to do with the way Vista starts up. I was getting very inconsistent results. Sometimes the correct profile would load and sometimes not, then sometimes it would load and then be switched off again!

The work around that I use is a simple free third party applet from XRite (GretagMacbeth, etc.) called displayprofile.exe that lets you switch to any of your saved monitor profiles at the click of the mouse. You can download it from here:

Ian
                      I'm left with the feeling that Vista isn't particularly friendly to anything and everything. I'm not exactly thrilled with Adobe either. My earlier vesions of Macromedia will no longer work so I'm gonna have to live without Dreamweaver from now on so it's just as well I no longer have any websites.

Ian,thanks for the link to the applet. I've d/l it and will keep it handy in case I need it. My current laptop is XP and I can select profiles no bother and I'd been wondereing, hoping, if the same option might apply with Spyder2 on this Vista desktop. I uninstalled Spyder2 yesterday after the screensaver stuffed up the profile because it all hung when I'd tried to open the profiles (hoping to be able to select the original monitor profile from a list). I'd thought it might be a driver problem so I have an updated Spyder driver ready and waiting ... but I'm not holding my breath and can't face having another go atm anyway.

Jojo .... I was too busy panicking to save a screenshot of the stuffed up monitor profile. The screensaver that had kicked in was mainly black with the occasional floating feathery gizmo - so the resulting screen ended up looking like a mucky newspaper that had spent the day on the floor of a train on the underground.

Roger - many thanks for that tip, I'll look for that tool today.

Pol

Comment

Roger - many thanks for that tip, I'll look for that tool today.

Pol
                        Yay - found the snipping tool and am enjoying playing with it. It's the first time I've actually enjoyed using this PC so far .... LOL

Thanks, Roger.

Pol

Comment

Originally posted by Ian View Post

Ian

That is indeed a very neat little applet too - brilliant little jobbie! It even found the 'mucky newspaper' profile tucked away so I clicked on it and my screen went 'mucky' again and I panicked again .... so decided maybe I should get on with proper calibrations MINUS any screensavers.

I've finally calibrated the screen successfully now so fingers crossed it won't give me any grief. The new profile is visible in the Spyder Profile Chooser so it should easily be refreshed if needed.

Thanks for all the help and advice, folks!

Pol

Comment

Working...
                          X